[GS] Civ Colours "Jersey System"

I liked red/yellow for China. It seemed more correct to me than the usual green/white.

Peach/white was odd for Poland, but not entirely off-putting.
It reminds me too much of the modern day flag with that arrangement.
I would be perfectly fine with a jade green/yellow combination because I agree that white makes no sense.

I hope there is some level of customization available for the player too so if they love/hate a specific combo they can choose to have it or not.
Customizable or not, I'll be modding my custom color palettes back in.

I thought the Peach colour for Poland was very pleasing, same for red and gold China. Honestly I think it's just nice to have a bit of variation, it's a small detail but I like it!
I don't mind the peach for Poland, it won't be my choice but whatever. The red and gold makes sense for China though as mentioned before the inverse would avoid conflict with Spain.

Back on track we have seen two new 'jerseys' for existing civs.

Poland has pink(peach) and white
China has red and yellow

What do people think of these combos?
I liked both. Red/gold is a very traditional color scheme for Imperial China. I have no idea if peach and white is thematic for Poland, but it looked nice enough.

That would be an interesting solution where everyone sees different colours. At the very least I really think they should allow people to pick the jersey of their own civ.

I would assume that the player's civ will always use the primary jersey; only AI civs would use alternate jerseys.

Hopefully that is an option, I wouldn't mind playing around with diferent colors to keep the game fresh

Customizable or not, I'll be modding my custom color palettes back in.
Same here.

At the very least, I'll change Australia to gold and green, Arabia to green and white and China to jade and copper. Australia ends up looking like an inverse of Brazil's colours, which is fine. We use those colours for our cricket team anyhow.

If these are going to be declared in the same manner as the current colours, I'd be inclined to still favour a specific pair of colours for many of the civs. I would just swap them around for their "away" jersey. The third and fourth colour schemes could even be duplicates of the first two, or low / high contrast versions.
For instance, Japan would always be white and red. If paired up with Georgia, it might use red on white instead. That might, in turn, bump Poland to their second strip too. Ugh, it's a mess. I would love to know more about how the jerseys are selected. How's it done? RGB value comparisons? Lookup table? User selectable (this would be the best way) ?
I wouldn't mind to see the setup screen for a new game in order to see how the colours are selected / determined.

Reactions: j51
I wonder how this feature will work with modded leaders/civilizations. I'm playing a game right now where the new leaders and civs have a specific color. Will the mod creators have to update their civ? Although I see it as unlikely that some of the leaders I'm playing with will share colors with the civs in the game. Winston Churchill has distinctive colors.

I wonder how this feature will work with modded leaders/civilizations. I'm playing a game right now where the new leaders and civs have a specific color. Will the mod creators have to update their civ? Although I see it as unlikely that some of the leaders I'm playing with will share colors with the civs in the game. Winston Churchill has distinctive colors.

Seems pretty clear that modded civs will need an update.

Heh, after the GS launches, I'm gonna dig up the jersey file and set all 4 jerseys of each civ to one color combination, because I don't like how the color switching breaks the cohesion.
I hope you'll make this a mod, because I hate the new variable colours also.

.. they also mentioned it was designed for people who are colour blind in the livestream ... so there might some kind of choice option.

Considering that most colorblind people can't see red or green, I'm reasonably certain that a game where literally every civ was either red or green was not showing off colorblind mode. :mischief:

I was under the impression that the jersey system was meant to reduce color ambiguity, but that it was separate from color blind support. The best way to reduce color blind confusion is to add textures, not necessarily shifting colors. For color deficiencies, shifting certain colors helps, but it could be difficult to know how altered colors would appear to someone without perfect color fidelity.

I’m red-green color deficient, but the only civs I've ever had trouble distinguishing was Civ V Poland from barbarians, and Sparta from England in VI.

For my two cents, the New England color was true St George red (but it did look slightly orangey due to being used to the burgundy color I’m used to. Poland in VI has a slight pink-ish hue to it.

I have the whole red-green colour blind thing; yet by and large it isn't red and green I have issues mixing up. Greens & greys, blues & purples, blues & greys, greens & browns. Of course many of those aren't used much (as far as I can see!); and it does seem that this will be useful more for distinguishing all the white-red combo Civs there are!

Which at first I thought the Maori were too; which would have made sense as their traditional colours are red/white/black. Red & black were largely going to be out being the colour of barbs & rouge cities; so it was always going to be white and one of the others. I showed my mum the Maori FL yesterday, as I knew she would be interested, and asked her to clarify the colour scheme; and according to her it's actually red and a very pale green. Does that sound right to you lot?

Not sure how this would play out in multiplayer, but it could be that each player sees a different jersey combo on his own machine.

There's no reason that can't be implemented :)

according to her it's actually red and a very pale green. Does that sound right to you lot?
Yes, a pale green more on the blue side of green than the yellow.

Yes, a pale green more on the blue side of green than the yellow.

I have no idea how colour blind adjustments work; or whether they can work the same for the various differences colour blind people get... but I would need it for the Maori colours if I'm to not see that green as white. I guess if their borders end up right next to one of the white's I may pick it up. It would need to be made a bit darker for me to see.

Does anyone remember how well the colour blind setting in Civ III worked? I remember it being an option, but I can't remember if it made much difference for me or not.

I have no idea how colour blind adjustments work; or whether they can work the same for the various differences colour blind people get... but I would need it for the Maori colours if I'm to not see that green as white. I guess if their borders end up right next to one of the white's I may pick it up. It would need to be made a bit darker for me to see.

It’s only (on my eyes) a subtle shade of teal, so you would not be te only having difficulties to tell apart this civ from a white on red one. It eould depend more on the shade of red.

In any case, the scenes with Korea in the first look did not help much to sell the jersey system. Korea is pale blue in burgundy, so while there is not a real problem in differentiating it (darker colors), it was still quite similar in hue to Maori’s pale-bright teal on bright red. Not the best way to distinguish one from another.

The closest that the Maori have I believe is Indonesia's new colors, although the more I look at the color scheme they are paler than Indonesia's.
As somebody who wants every Civ to stay the same color, I think switching the colors around might work making it a red spiral on a blue/green background since I like the similar color for Indonesia already.

Top Bottom