Civ DLC

Andrew Reed

Chieftain
So I’ve just seen on the eShop the two DLC packages. One is £3.99 (Nubia) and the other is £8.99 (can’t remember what it was called) both are the same size in memory.
Are these worth getting and what the big difference to warrant the major difference in price?

The more expensive one has two civilizations (Khmer and Indonesia) rather than one, so that's why it's about double the price. Can't speak to how worth it they are since I don't have them, but basically, it's an additional civilization and leader, plus a scenario.

The more expensive one has two civilizations (Khmer and Indonesia) rather than one, so that's why it's about double the price. Can't speak to how worth it they are since I don't have them, but basically, it's an additional civilization and leader, plus a scenario.

So these are just extra characters with differing buildings and evolutionary trees.
I’m guessing they are worth getting.

Isn’t there a DLC that introduces natural disasters like earth quakes etc?

The natural disasters features (volcanic eruptions, floods, etc.) are in the Gathering Storm expansion, due to be released on Feb. 14, not a bite-sized DLC.

Since release of the R&F expansion for Switch hasn't even been announced, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for GS for Switch.

I haven't bought the dlc on the Switch either. I'm still learning the base game so I'm in no rush to pick up both dlc. However, if they do release the Rise and Fall expension and Gathering Storm, it'll be a day 1 purchase.

Always worth getting the DLC packs for two reasons: first, each adds new Civ(s) with their own bonuses. But more importantly, you can rest assured that both Firaxis/2K and Aspyr are watching the "attachment ratio" of DLC purchases to copies of the base game with regard to any potential future DLC or expansion releases for Civ VI on Switch. Basically this means if you want the likes of Rise & Fall or Gathering Storm to be released for the Switch version, by all means vote with your wallet and support the DLC that's available on the eShop.

Always worth getting the DLC packs for two reasons: first, each adds new Civ(s) with their own bonuses. But more importantly, you can rest assured that both Firaxis/2K and Aspyr are watching the "attachment ratio" of DLC purchases to copies of the base game with regard to any potential future DLC or expansion releases for Civ VI on Switch. Basically this means if you want the likes of Rise & Fall or Gathering Storm to be released for the Switch version, by all means vote with your wallet and support the DLC that's available on the eShop.

I hear what you are saying and will purchase both DLC packages as I will enjoy the extra diversity.
However I’m not so certain with the logic that if everyone buys the DLC that this will persuade the developer/publisher to provide the more expansive update or patches. I am of the belief that the developer/publisher would have already decided what future support a game gets prior to release.

@Andrew Reed,

It never hurts to support DLC if you want more as a consumer, though (and, since these companies are notoriously tight-lipped regarding future support or other plans, we can't exactly read their minds to begin with). When in doubt, remember the universal motivator for corporations: making money. Voting with your wallet when given an opportunity counts infinitely more than a host of impassioned letters or posts of support in a forum on that front.

As I mentioned earlier when the game was first released, it potentially says a lot that the two DLC packs were offered at all in the eShop. Since neither pack was even mentioned in the weeks leading up to launch, they may indeed be a test bed to gauge consumer interest in additional paid content beyond the initial point-of-sale (i.e. the main game). Again, we can't read their minds, but we can deduce that they'll tend to think and act based on the priorities of a corporation, in which case monetary support is always a positive thing.

It's worth it if you want to play with these civilizations. Sure. But I'm usually more inclined to pay for bona fide expansion packs (like Rise & Fall and Gathering Storm), than bite-sized DLC content like Nubia or Indonesia/Khmer (although I did buy both on Nintendo Switch).

Top Bottom