CiV doesn't seem to recognize type of troops

kane65

Chieftain
When a civ decides to attack or not, it doesn't seem to recognize the type of units I have stationed. If I'm in 6th position, I get attacked whether my units are all barbs or all swordsman. Am I missing something?

what does your position in terms of points have to do with you being attacked/what type of units you have?

I want to say it takes into account types of units. When you promote a unite you do gain more points in the demographics and I'm 90% sure it counts injured units....

It does count the type of units you have. I think someone confirmed that on the boards a while ago.

I think it may take into account the types of units, but not as much as the total strength :c5strength: of the unit. Having 50 :c5strength: more than an opponent seems to influence them more than the number of ranged, siege, meele, or naval units you have

what does your position in terms of points have to do with you being attacked/what type of units you have?

If you have very little military, opponents may try to take you down thinking you're an easy kill for some land. So the :c5strength: of your army shouldn't drop into last place, lest you risk getting messages saying you're weak, or declarations of war saying your weak army will be good target practice

Of course being 2nd in military strength and at odds with the top dog will still get you ridiculed by them for having such a weak army

I still don't think so. Say you are in 3rd place militarily. Take all your warriors and promote them until they are longswordsman. You will still be in 3rd place, I tried it.

I still don't think so. Say you are in 3rd place militarily. Take all your warriors and promote them until they are longswordsman. You will still be in 3rd place, I tried it.

That's because you still haven't overtaken the 2nd place civ, but you have definitely gotten closer. Just compare the actual military numbers (rather than the rankings) in the demographics screen from turn to turn. They change based on your upgrades. The demographics absolutely does take into account unit upgrades.

That said, the point of the original poster is right in that the AI has no understanding of the rock-paper-scissors military tactics of the game. If you have some pikemen to counter their hoard of horses, then the advantage goes to you, but the AI doesn't understand that and thinks it is ahead of you militarily.

Here's an info addict graph of military strength. I'm Inca. I had one warrior getting hurt and healed, then he died. Then I got a spearman. As you can see, it clearly counts unit strength as well as hit points.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0009.jpg
    Civ5Screen0009.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 99
I think it may make a difference, but I'm not sure if the relationship is linear. Is your power rating is proportional to the shield cost of all of your units? Or the power? Does it take promotions into account?

I think it may make a difference, but I'm not sure if the relationship is linear. Is your power rating is proportional to the shield cost of all of your units? Or the power? Does it take promotions into account?

Given the deficiencies in some areas of this game I would be utterly shocked if it somehow accounted for promotions. I think total shields is the metric used and it doesnt really matter if you have 300 ships and one warrior or the other way around.

I would be almost certain that promotions are not taken into account. Using the graph I posted earlier, the first warrior I had that died would have been level 2 and the second at least level 2, maybe level 3. The promotions are situational so there'd be no reason to take into account a unit with a bonus in rough terrain if you're attacking a desert city.

I'd say it's total shield count (adjusted for injury) times 1k to get it's military strength.

Promotion is a bit confusing in this context.

I don't know if promoting your unit from shock 1 to shock 2 counts. I don't think it does.

Promoting/Upgrading your unit from warrior to sword definitely does count. But the graphs don't update until the next turn so you can't see results until then which makes it look like it didn't count if you check same turn.

Top Bottom