Civ for Mac. Anyone uses Parallels?

MarcoFurio

Chieftain
Almost 1 month to release and we still have no information about the date of the release for Mac.
Does anyone uses Parallels to run windows at Macbook?
Does anyone ever runned Civ V at Parallels?

I have used parallels for civ 4 but not for 5. I will likely buy a faster pc laptop and use that for civ 6...not happy with the difficulty in attaining maps and mods for Macs over the last two games.

I have used Parallels to run CiV. Mostly when I am interested in trying some of the DLL mods (come on Firaxis, cross platform support needs to be all inclusive). I find that it runs pretty well. The graphics need to be scaled back, compared to BootCamp; and I usually turn of leader animation. But otherwise can get into the late game with not much more slow down than native in either platform.

I have looked at Parallels in the past and have been disappointed. Either too slow or it won't run graphics intensive stuff. Any reason you can,t use Boot Camp? I have used it for years and have fewer problems running Windows games than some PC gamers.

I have looked at Parallels in the past and have been disappointed. Either too slow or it won't run graphics intensive stuff. Any reason you can,t use Boot Camp? I have used it for years and have fewer problems running Windows games than some PC gamers.

Actually I use windows only to do a small part of my work, so I need to change between windows and OS quick.
I believe that I'll have to wait a bit more to buy the Mac version. I won't risk downloading the windows one.

Thanks.

Also really disappointed at the lack of Mac news on this. The last few games / expansions received same-day release. I will still probably buy on Steam so that when the Mac version is released, I'll get it as a free bonus. Meanwhile, I'll play on Parallels (low graphics setting) or Bootcamp.

Also really disappointed at the lack of Mac news on this. The last few games / expansions received same-day release. I will still probably buy on Steam so that when the Mac version is released, I'll get it as a free bonus. Meanwhile, I'll play on Parallels (low graphics setting) or Bootcamp.

If I preorder the Windows version on steam, can I download the Mac version later?

If I preorder the Windows version on steam, can I download the Mac version later?

Usually, you can.
Parallels: I haven't used it in over 10 years, but back then I stopped because many programs somehow detected the virtual environment and didn't work. I switched to Wine and official ports.

I've run Fallout 4 on Parallels but it's really laggy (I.e., unplayable). Works normally in Bootcamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using virtual machines is not good for software/games that must work on modern hardware. On the other hand emulating ZX Spectrum, Amiga, C64 and PS One - all of them at once works fine (unless you have an Atom ;-)). So Parallels can not be very efficient in the terms of games - PC that emulates PC with restrictions. Bootcamp is nothing more like virtual switch that tells your PC to run Windows instead of Mac OS from hard drive - so you play game written for Windows on regular PC.

I have bought many games off Steam, some of which didn't have a mac version when I bought it. If a mac version was released later, I have ALWAYS been able to download the mac version and play it for no additional cost.

I have bought many games off Steam, some of which didn't have a mac version when I bought it. If a mac version was released later, I have ALWAYS been able to download the mac version and play it for no additional cost.

Thanks!

Maybe that's why I can't run the game.
Oh god.
I hope this is just it.
Actually I want to run it in Sierra.

Parallels doesn't support Direct3D 11, since it uses WINE's D3D code. So it can't run Civ VI.

BTW, about buying Steam games: this isn't well publicized, but if you buy a game on a Mac, it counts as a Mac sale, even if the game's also available on Windows. Doing that helps to signal to publishers that Mac support is important.

BTW, about buying Steam games: this isn't well publicized, but if you buy a game on a Mac, it counts as a Mac sale, even if the game's also available on Windows. Doing that helps to signal to publishers that Mac support is important.

Hell yes !

Top Bottom