1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CIV Gold 4.0 Unique Buildings Help Wanted!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - CIV Gold' started by Shqype, May 2, 2007.

1. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

I've been tasked with coming up with unique buildings for the following civs:

I don't know much about many of these civs, so if we have any experts on here, please don't hesitate to post your suggestions.

2. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabono

A shabano (also xapono or yano) is a hut used by the Yanomami Amerindians of extreme southern Venezuela and extreme northern Brazil. Used as temporary dwellings, they are traditionally constructed mainly of thatched palm leaves and wood. In traditional Yanomami villages, multiple shabonos, each conical or rectangular in shape, surround a central open space. Each family unit has its own area within a given shabono.

3. datlowen

datlowen Chieftain

An idea:

"War Wagon" (or "Mobile Tabor") (replaces barracks): +1 (additional) experience for melee units.

4. purplexus

purplexus Prince

May I also Suggest an Apiary for the Czech-Slovak

In 500 A.D. the Slovakians were Famous for their apiaries. If you can realize the difficulties in communications during these times... you would realize that in order to be famous about something like an apiary... It must be DAMN GOOD HONEY.

Besides I have seen way too many civs with the +1 to experience due to a unique version of a barrack.

This could prove fun to make. A small litle shack with a bunch of white boxes scattered around would do.

Give a bonus to its commerce and let it replace the Grocery or something similar... maybe even the granary. Let me leave it up to you for the bonus and what it replaces... although its food the nice thing is it can replace a couple of different buildings

a·pi·ar·y Pronunciation[ey-pee-er-ee]Pronunciation
    a place in which a colony or colonies of bees are kept, as a stand or shed for beehives or a bee house containing a number of beehives.

5. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

Here's the draft I compiled:

Ainu --- Pu (Granary)
    Anishnaabek --- Midewiwin (Library)
    Aniyonega --- Didanawisgi (hospital)
    Bolivarian --- Chuao Field (Market)
    Buryat --- Yurt (Stables)
    Chile --- Copperworks (Factory)
    Congo --- Nkisi (hospital)
    Cuba --- People's Assembly (courthouse)
    Czech-Slovak
    Denmark --- Trade Union (?)
    Dinnehih --- Hogan (?)
    Harappan --- Indus sewer (?)
    Jomon --- Potter (Forge)
    Kanem-Bornu --- Oasis (Bank? Barracks?)
    Khoisan --- Khoi Pasture (Granary)
    Mande --- Poro (?)
    Mexico --- Charreada (colossium)
    Mutapa --- Zimba (Castle)
    Nigeria --- JuJu Hall (theatre)
    Ni-Mii-Pu --- Breeder (Stable)
    Olmec --- Stone Heads (Obelisk)
    Oxus --- Diwar (Wall)
    Phoenicia --- Seaport (Harbor)
    Piliwni --- Peyote (hospital)
    Sami --- Doudji (Forge)
    Somalia --- Liberation Front (Barracks)
    South Africa --- Braai (Supermarket)
    Tillikum --- Totem Poles (Monument)
    Tupi
    Uyghur
    Vedic
    Vo'estaneo'o
    West Indies --- Cricket Ground (Stadium)
    Yangshao --- Millet Field (Granary)
    Yanomami --- Shabano (Courthouse)

6. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

In that time the Slavs had just migrated into Europe, and as far as I know the distinct Czech-Slovak culture as we know it today did not form until later. But, I admit, it is a unique idea for a building.

7. Corvex

Corvex Emperor of Canada

I'd actually give Cuba some kind of hospital replacement, since apparently their medicine is quite advanced.

8. Fierabras

Fierabras Emperor

9. Fierabras

Fierabras Emperor

10. purplexus

purplexus Prince

Would any Civ be able to use a Resort?... It would have to replace the Supermarket. Cost would have to be upped the reason for this is a distinct advantage permanently for the rest of the game. so lets make it 200 Hammers.. but it would give you 10% bonus to Commerce, +1 health for pigs, cows, deer and sheep.

11. Wyz_sub10

Nice suggestions, Fierabas. Thanks!

If you have any others, keep them coming. Shqype's leading the UB section, but if you had time he'd probably appreciate help with text descriptions for all of these.

12. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

I think the Phoencian's should be the Drydock, since "Seaport" is associated with modern ports.
    Also, Drydock just sounds cooler.

13. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

We've got 2 suggestions for Czeck-Slovak, but I'm no expert and would like somebody else to decide.

Jerrymander; the problem with Drydock is that it comes much later in the game, which doesn't reflect the Phoenicians being an ancient civilization. The dry dock is also a military building, not like the Phoenician ports that excelled in trade, especially with Dyes.

Purplexus, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, but what civ do you propose has that UB?

14. Corvex

Corvex Emperor of Canada

Since the Vedic culture is best known for its classical sanskrit literature, maybe they should have a "Sanskrit Scriptorium" which could replace library. As for the Vo'estaneo'o, their an amalgam of various tribes from central Canada, aren't they? Would it be possible to give them a "Trading Post," which would be like a market, only with an added benefit for furs?

15. Wyz_sub10

A trading post isn't a bad idea at all - it would reflect their ties to the French and Scots in the fur trade. This building might be more applicable to the Anishnaabek (that has the Objibwe), but it works there.

16. purplexus

purplexus Prince

I am not sure as to which Civ should get the Resort area... if you got something in the Florida Keys or in the Carribean that would work well.. Also the Pacific Rim islands would also work well. You would have to think as to which civ has prospered most lately but only due to their Tourism. I have another suggestion to the building stats... and that would be to lower the cost to 125 hammers... but make it only available to coastal cities. 2 good ideas. Which would you prefer?.. (scrap that... that would make the other cities inland not be able to build a shopping centre and that wouldn't be cool). Mind you there is quite a benefit to the Resort having the +10% commerce) HMMMM

17. Jerrymander

True, it did come later, which would disqaulify it.
    But are not drydocks used for ship repair? :p

Also, Resort @ West Indies? Nude Resort? :p

18. purplexus

purplexus Prince

I think WYZ has plans for the cricket grounds at the West Indies already.???

Besides I was thinking of a country such as Thailand..Phucket is a great example of how the tourist industry has made this country rise outta the slumps.

19. Jerrymander

Mmmhm. I went to a resort in the Malays. Needless to say, I got bitten by some wierd bug.

Lol, cricket. Cricket is a weird sport.

20. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

Aright guys, I've done some work, but much of what is left I haven't got many good ideas about... please feel free to make suggestions about what bonuses each building should get.

Regarding Czechoslovakia, I would recommend a modern building... maybe an Airport that doesn't give a health reduction, or an improved Recycling Center. Something that hasn't been done yet.