1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CIV Gold ScenarioWorld mapscript

Discussion in 'Civ4 - CIV Gold' started by EMT, Aug 20, 2009.

1. EMT

EMT Hated by the Spaniards(?)

Have you ever wanted to choose any civilization in CIV Gold and start where you historically should on an earth map without going into a scenario with preset civs? Feeling adventurous and feel like starting on a one-tile island with Polynesia? :lol:

I have taken Vadus's original map script(and all credit belongs to him for the map script, I only switched the map it used to a better one(imo) and coordinated the starting positions) and have made it CIV Gold compatible! This map will also work in BTS 3.19, no mods whatsoever. I have also included a version of this map where the positions are 100% RANDOM for all civs. Aztecs on ice? :crazyeye: To install it, just extract the files to your PublicMaps folder, and load the script from either custom games or the play now menus. The map that I used was taken from the King of the World 13: Asoka challenge. In addition, you can alter what this map does to any map, and place starting locations to your liking, by editing the .properties file, which is very easy to do with patience(to figure out where everything should go). This can(I think) be played with Rhye's Map, or really any map, if you have the patience to edit this. Known issues are that the original terrain gets screwed up a bit when playing as certain nations, notable any nations near the Rocky Mountains, Appalachian Mountains, Andes Mountains, or in the Congo(that was obvious to me anyway). I am no coder, so I have no idea how to fix that, but apart from that, it's a very fun map script to play. Hope you enjoy it. :goodjob:

Attached Files:

2. Mojoqmeyvam

Mojoqmeyvam Chieftain

This is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
    I do want to point two things out:
    I just tested it on a couple of "size" settings, and the map is huge, regardless of what map size you use for your settings. The only things map size will do are change the tech costs, and the number of default civs.

Also, the game WILL put two civs' settlers on the same square, or right next to each other. I was Rome, and started on the same square as Italy; Lithuania and Latvia are one square apart. Since I also had Germany in the game, and Latvia went before Lithuania, Lithuania's starting settler got kicked all the way to the Rhine.

3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Cool stuff! :goodjob:

I think it should be uploaded to the DL database as well. (That should trigger both increased interest in your mapscript, as well as CIV Gold IMHO.)

4. EMT

Well, there are MANY overlaps that I can sadly not do anything about to keep it accurate :( How do you have Italy and Rome share a capital? I wish I knew :( This can be done for other maps, of course, like a giant Europe map which I would be happy to do. The map is a premade wb save map, so I really can't change anything regarding that. It will only affect the number of civs(I recommend huge as always for accuracy and to not have one nation annex all of Europe via fluke(It's happened before even on a huge map tbh). This map isn't for incredibly accurate scenarios unless you nuke nation's culture and set it up yourself. Like I said, I'd be happy to make more maps for other parts of the world, if I could get the maps, and some requests. :lol: Anyway, I don't plan on doing any more of these until I figure out how to get my blue marble running with CIV Gold. It just doesn't want to for some reason. :sad: As for uploading it....well, I haven't officially gotten permission to modify the original map script although the person who made the script seemed to be open/recommend expanding on his script. Once I get official permission/recognition, I'll upload it, but until then, I'll keep it in this forum and remove it if he/she wishes and is annoyed with me for uploading a modified version without explicit permission.

5. Mojoqmeyvam

Mojoqmeyvam Chieftain

Italy and Rome didn't share a capital; it's just that my settler started at the same square as Italy's, and then when I founded on t0 they got kicked south, and had to wander to Sicily to get a legal capital.

6. EMT

Well, I mean history-wise, they actually did. There wasn't much I could honestly do about something like that. If I had to put it like this, it'd go Etruscans -> Romans -> Papacy/HRE -> Italy, in the succession of to who Rome belonged to.

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

You might put the Italian Settler further north, in the (later) kingdom of Sardinia (+/- Genoa); Garibaldi's volunteers started off in Sicily, but he had the support of the king (who became first king of - modern -Italy. In the early Middle Ages there were of course the German kingdoms - Longobards etc., who also came from the north.)

8. EMT

I also considered that option but I thought I'd get too many 'whus?' if Italy started in Genoa. I know my history, personally, but not so sure everybody else might not...

9. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

It's a good option, though.

Another option is to start Italy in a historically important location like Florence or Venice and just use that city name. I think people will get it if they recognize Rome there as well.

10. EMT

Well, here is some news, I'm gonna start to work on getting a Europe map with ScenarioWorld going. Although I'm having a much harder time with this than the last because of some buggy features.......but it will come.

11. EMT

Update on that news, my stumble block that I recently realized.......what happens if you randomly choose that map and you end up with a non-european civ? A europe map would only be good if you pre-choose your nations. I don't really see the point in continuing with the europe map imo.

12. Mojoqmeyvam

Mojoqmeyvam Chieftain

Is it possible to make non-european civs have random starting locations?

13. EMT

14. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

When I tried playing this, all I got was a giant plain with only occasional ponds and woods. Why is this happening?

15. Epic Tomato

Epic Tomato Chieftain

Delete me.

16. thatoneguy_2008

thatoneguy_2008 Chieftain

How hard would it be to merge this script with Giant Earth Map?

17. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Vadus' map (in the LSOE series... what happened?) had a GEM on it so I don't see it as that hard. Maybe I'll try it.

18. wac3meehan

wac3meehan Chieftain

Where in the world do I put this file?

19. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

You put the .py files into the publicmaps folder for BTS in the C drive, and the WB save into my documents/my games/beyond the sword/saves/WorldBuilder file.

20. pole475

pole475 The Blinding Light

Any possibilities someone could make this map for civ gold warlords?

i would really appreciate it!