Civ Idea - Italy

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Martinus, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

With the creators of Civilization series placing so much emphasis on the achievements of Italian Renaissance in development of human science and culture, I think it is a bit of an ommission that Renaissance Italy is not really represented in game directly and (bar Venice in Civ 5) was never really represented in any of the previous games.

This, obviously, relates to a difficulty in representing Italian city states in the meaningful way - that is until Civ 6. Because I think that the direction chosen with Pericles and Gorgo presents a great opportunity to have Italian civ in game.

You could have at least 2 different leaders:
    - Dandolo, starting in Venice, to represent the more commercial / medieval aspect of Italy (with focus on naval units)
    - Lorenzo di Medici, starting in Florence, to represent the cultural and artistic aspect (with a focus on land-based condotieri).

From this you could come up with even more ideas, to represent Kingdom of Naples, Duchy of Milan or even Papacy (although this creates an obvious issue with Rome).

2. jsciv69

jsciv69 Warlord

I have posted a thread from two months ago on this very subject. I very much support the idea of an Italian Civ. And for those who see a conflict with the Rome Civ, keep in mind that Civ V BNW featured the Byzantium and Ottoman Civs. Both cover much of the same territory. Just as an Italy and Rome Civ would.

3. tongfar

tongfar Chieftain

Well you could just play as catherine de medicis she's italian after all oh wait ...

4. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I'm slowly warming up to the idea. The "Roman Question" was always my biggest hesitation. Associating capitals with leaders solves that problem. My preference is for Lorenzo. That being said, there are literally dozens of Civs I'd prefer to see first (my preference is to focus on more non-European Civs, but there are also European Civs I'd prefer first).

5. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I was a major proponent before BNW came out. Most people flatly opposed the idea because of Rome's presence, and because Italy was a pack feuding city-states until relatively recent unification. Which is all just pish-tosh. If Polynesia and the Huns can be depicted as unified civilizations, it's obvious the term "civilization" is being used loosely.

I would go with Garibaldi as an alt leader myself.

Say....We don't actually have a sticky thread for Civ & Leader ideas in this forum yet?

Anyone know how to get one put up?