1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Camikaze, Oct 17, 2010.

1. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

no, it's still for civ 5 stuff

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Is it? many people posted stuff for "future expansion packs and potentially Civ 6" so that kinda put me off...
    To be perfectly honest the only thing I really would love if if the Hex and No-Stacking System was ismply done in Civ 4 :/ Because I miss features like
    *Expanded Victory Conditions, especailly Dipolmatic Victory, it's so BOORING, all you have to do is ally yourself with e.g. +7 city states to win, which on easier difficulties.. is TOO EASY.
    *Dynamic Era-Specific Leaderheads, i.e Leaderheads just like in Civ 3
    *Apostoplic Palace and expanded U.N options, just like in Civ IV.
    *Expanded Future Era!!
    *Easier Scenarios :p, I'm not that good, and the Scenarios kinda suck.
    *Ability to earn achievements in MP games, it's not like we getting rewarded anyways (like people get points in XBox Live or whatever)
    *Few Free DLCs or make all DLCs free!
    *PROPER achievement progress!
    *Ability to play Scenarios in HotSeat
    *Ability to Denounce, and Make Friendships with human players in both Internet/Lan and Hotseat games
    *Ability to actually SAVE games in Multiplayer via Internet/Lan.
    *Maybe some optimization for game so it doesn't lag on my computer xD
    *Add City-States that are Science focused! (giving science bonus, just like a Cultural City State would)
    *Bring back Vassal States

That's all for now, I probably had more.

3. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

To save games on multiplayer you just hit ctrl-s

4. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

o.O

Ok...... then why haven't they added a proper button for it or even stated somewhere that! -.- and I'm talking about Civ 5 don't forget that :p

5. DeathFace

DeathFace Male Student No. 7

It would be nice if you can trade resources with city states rather then pay 500+ gold and then upkeep. This would be very helpful especially if they have the only copy of that particular resource on the entire map.

6. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

I know its wierd.
    But it works, try it if you don't believe me.
    And yes, this is the civ V forum.:goodjob:

7. erhaminus

erhaminus Chieftain

Diplomacy at first.

I would like for example to force someone to do something and if he does not fulfill my request it means war [explicit consequence]. There should be such option imho.

In addition, there should be an answer to denouncing "oh yeah? let's dance [you declare war]". This action would have less negative impact to other leaders.

Besides, there would be a possibility to manual set of my attitude to AI leaders. I like Mongol people for example, so I set Mongols -> "desire friendly relations", i don't like Germans or Russia, so I set proper option. That should be taken into consideration by AI somehow.

I would like espionage points and espionage, but without stealing techs. It would be rather current information about AI, self-updating map of its empire and unit moves, additional reports about plans [invasions, pacts, army concetration near your borders, etc.].

And please, they would give an option to "protect another civ". Defensive pact is mutual, here it would be single-side. That would be nice to protect weak civs against another. It would also improve relations somehow.

And why there is no option when I can see its army near to declare war or rollback???

They would improve city bombarding. Without archery there would be no bombarding. With archery - 1 range. With catapults - 2 range. With artillery - 3 range, etc. There would be also added adequate strength.

And finally, they should improve city garrisons. I would prefer something like garrison buildings (something like slots in buildings). At first you can put only one unit. If you build for example arsenal (or anything else ofc), you can put one melee and one ranged unit. If you put airport you can put few aircrafts. It would be improved by buildings/policies.

In general, they should go into diplomacy improvements. Imho this should be main power and fun of this game. :)

Moderator Action: Thread merged. If you have multiple ideas but don't want to extrapolate on a specific one, you should post in here. :)

8. minominop

minominop Chieftain

What I would change is mostly cosmetic. For the love of god would someone please improve the graphics for the roads and railroads.

They look too much alike to tell them apart at a glance. Also it looks wierd to have a fat road connect to a skinny road because the graphics don't match.

Just my opinion but I think railroads should be less busy squiggles and more straight.

I had a problem with this in Civ IV as well.

9. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Bring back Machine Gunners.

10. agoodfella

agoodfella Prince

Not sure if these have been suggested (frankly too lazy to wade through all the pages):

1) Great Statesman (ability to better relations, etc.)
    2) Rice! Where is this staple crop that is the main source of food for nearly half the planet? Please bring it back.
    3) Religion. Please bring it back.
    4) Culture flipping. Please bring it back.

Sure I'll think of a few more...

11. daviiadams

daviiadams Prince

Peace Keeping would be another one. I've done a promotion for that, but it's completely pointless without game mechanics.

If modders could get into the core game, you could be sure that there would likely be a huge overhaul!

12. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

For an Exploration UU, a scout that has +1 sight, +1 movement, invisible in friendly and neutral territory (except on turns after it has attacked). Take out +1 movement or make it take more hammers if it's overpowered that way.

13. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Nice catch. I guess the same problem would happen if someone culture bombed that area too.

14. Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus Warlord

Nuclear deterence. There are a lot of ideas about nukes being OP, but I haven't seen this idea anywhere yet:

Using a nuke give permanent +1:c5unhappy: per nuke used.

Or perhaps +5 :c5unhappy: which diminishes with time.

15. Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus Warlord

This! I would just make it so that pastures/camps/etc. get bonuses from techs that give bonuses to farms, trading post and mines, so that you don't end up with the result where it makes more sense to have a trading post built on top of your sheep.

Or have the bonus from these resources change depending on what is built there. So they are still having a unique impact.

16. mantis2007

mantis2007 Chieftain

I wish there were an option to resign, or surrender. Sometimes, I would like to just admit defeat.

For me, the worst part of Civ V is when it is very clear that you cannot win. The game becomes very (very) tedious. This is because there's currently no way to get to the end of the game other than to keep clicking "next turn" until an AI civ wins.

I wish there were way to say "I give up," then see my score, view the replay, and get a place in the hall of fame.

Moderator Action: Thread merged. :)

17. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

Great people:
    - When used to construct landmarks, Great Artists should also generate enough culture to purchase, say, 20% of the next policy (I think this could be calibrated to auto-balance, so that saving them until the next policy is sometimes optimal, but just building a landmark right away is typically best). Culture Bombing could stand to be a bit stronger too.
    - Great Merchants need to be buffed badly somehow. For C-S Trade Missions, something like 5x more gold and 3x more influence than now would be nice.

Culture:
    - Culture and happiness should be more closely linked. Perhaps something like +2% culture per net happiness over 10.
    - Thematically, it makes zero sense that puppet cities contribute culture while not contributing to policy costs at all. If anything, puppets should contribute negative culture per turn.

Hard-upgrading units:
    - Upgrade units that have become obsolete by parking them in a city and using :c5production: hammers instead of :c5gold:gold.

18. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Ideas about future instalments are still welcome. Most people will look at those ideas using Civ5 as a frame of reference, though. :)

19. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

One City Challenge should allow you to Liberate cities

Policies....
    Puppet City culture should not contribute to Social Policy progress

Switch the effects of Legalism and Landed Elite
    Legalism: +2 food and 10% city growth in capital, needs Tradition
    Landed Elite: free culture building in four oldest cities, needs Legalism
    (makes Tradition tree good for a fast start , and Legalism is no longer a road block to Monarchy/Landed Elite)

Naval Tradition: add +15% production for Ships
    Merchant Navy: add +1 Gold to Water tiles

Populism: add +15% unit production

Great People...
    Make Great Person costs increase with # of cities (~10% on a normal size)

Universities (and Wats) -1 Scientist slot
    Research Labs +1 Scientist Slot

National Epic: +75% Great Person Points

Academy: +6 Science, +9(+15 total) with Scientific Method, +15(+30 total) with Plastics
    Landmark: +6 Culture, +9(+15 total) with Archaeology, +15(+30 total) with Mass Media
    Manufactury: +4 Production, +6(+10 total) with Chemistry, +10(+20 total) with Combustion
    Custom House: +4 Gold, +6(+10 total) with Economics, +10(+20 total) with Flight

Great Engineers: Wonder granted Instantly
    Great Artist: Culture bomb range=2.. can be 2 tiles away from friendly territory.. any cities in range now act as if you settled them
    Great Merchant: Trade Mission gives you +300 Influence with the City State (and at least 100 more than anyone else has) [scaled by game speed], and the City State 'forgets' any other player that liberated it in the past. +1 move for great Merchants
    Great Generals: give bonuses to ships

Units...
    Ironclads: Allow movement across ocean, -1 Move, x2 movement speed along Coast(*lost with upgrade)
    Battleships: allow upgrade to Missile Cruiser
    Missile Cruiser: increased Ranged Str to 32

Pikes:can upgrade to Muskets, (+100% anti-Mounted lost in upgrade) ..still obsolete with Rifles

Lancers: +1 Move, +50% v Mounted
    Cavalry: no penalty v. Mounted

Forts: can be built in Neutral Territory, but cost 1 gpt, Air units can be based in them.

City States...

City State Allies should not follow you to war.

Instead every civ at war with a player gets -4? Influence per turn with the player's City State Allies, and -1 Influence per turn with the player's City State Friends

If a CS gets to -60 or less with you then it will Declare War on you

United Front: City States Allies will DOW and not make Peace with those you are at war with.

Have each CS keep a separate value from Influence Points "Voting Points"
    A Civ's voting points with the CS get
    +1 per turn if it is a Friend,
    +2 per turn if it is an Ally
    -8 per turn if Angry/at War

If a CS's Ally does not have the most "Voting Points" with the CS, then the CS will abstain in Diplo victory voting.

20. Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus Warlord

Many of your ideas are pretty massive to game function/mechanics/balance. Eliminating entire 'strategies.' (like culture puppet sprawl, or bribing CS's to go to immediate war). So I'll leave the commenting on many of them to others with more game experience.

However, I really like the above quoted idea. It would eliminated the 'strategy' of buying a diplomatic victory at the end of the game, but it would replace it with an increased value in being friends throughout the game.

As with many other changes to CS's, it would only be made stronger with a wider variety of methods to obtain CS favor.