Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Issue: Lakes and rivers both provide fresh water, but lakes take up tiles and those tiles have compelling options for usage.

Solution: Couple of enhancements to lakes:
  • Lake tiles have an appeal rating just like land tiles and can be included in national parks.
  • Lakes have a pantheon oriented towards them (say, +1 faith for adjacent lakes and holy sites can be built on lake tiles). Pantheon name suggestions welcome!
For a pantheon name, how about "Lady of the Lake"?

Problem: AI religious units frequently snipe cities out from the human player, especially in large empires. The human player just finds out with visual checking that a bunch his cities have been converted, and his inquisitors just sat there like chumps.

Solution:
  • Allow religious units to put in an alert status mode just like religious units, activating them when foreign religious units are near.
  • Provide a notification when a city is being attacked with another religion's Spread Religion ability.
I would like a notification when foreign religious units are in my territory, but that isn't a reasonable ask given that religious units flit about through foreign territory with abandon.

Issue: Captured spies have no value other than for trading back to their owner. It's a missed opportunity given that a good espionage system should have some element of cat-and-mouse.

Solution:
  1. Tier-2 government plaza buildings (foreign ministry, grand chapel, intelligence agency) all have a "cell" slot where captured spies can be placed for interrogation. There's a GUI not unlike slotting a great work or relic.
  2. A civilization with a captured spy in this slot can assign spy to government plaza to for a Prisoner Interrogation mission.
  3. On a failure, the spy may remain a prisoner (try again possible), or the spy may be killed outright (suicide pill, naturally), or the spy may be able attempt escape (similar to a failed mission result), or on the worst possible result, the prisoner can escape and the interrogator is killed.
  4. On a success, the spy is removed from the slot and cannot be interrogated again (but can still be traded back). Receive a random reward, which might include:
    • Reveal the current location of all of the prisoner's fellow spies for a fixed amount of time (without the other civ knowing you know).
    • Cancel all of that civ's current missions.
    • Provide increased visibility and chance of success for missions (like a Listening Post, but with a long duration, and can stack with Listening Post).
    • Automatically succeed at performing a mission that the prisoner's civ had previously committed against the interrogator's civ, essentially allow for the reversal of a Siphon Funds, Great Works Heist, Disrupt Rocketry, etc.
    • Gain a large number of grievances and/or cassus beli against the civ (dirty laundry aired).
  5. If the spy is traded back, the owner is notified after the trade whether or not it was interrogated. An interrogated spy suffers a "burned" penalty for a while, operating at a level lower.
  6. Possibly allow for a spy in the cell to be rescued from captivity by another spy via an Extraction mission. In this case, the captured spy probably needs to bake in his cell for ten turns or so before it can be interrogated, otherwise the window for attempting an extraction becomes too tricky to bother with.
  7. Add an Breakout Artist promotion for spies that makes them two levels higher for purposes of counter interrogation, increasing their chances of the Interrogate Prisoner mission failing and allowing all fellow captured spies to escape with it.

Last edited:
Issue: Captured spies have no value other than for trading back to their owner. It's a missed opportunity given that a good espionage system should have some element of cat-and-mouse.

Solution:
  1. Tier-2 government plaza buildings (foreign ministry, grand chapel, intelligence agency) all have a "cell" slot where captured spies can be placed for interrogation. There's a GUI not unlike slotting a great work or relic.
  2. A civilization with a captured spy in this slot can assign spy to government plaza to for a Prisoner Interrogation mission.
  3. On a failure, the spy may remain a prisoner (try again possible), or the spy may be killed outright (suicide pill, naturally), or the spy may be able attempt escape (similar to a failed mission result), or on the worst possible result, the prisoner can escape and the interrogator is killed.
  4. On a success, the spy is removed from the slot and cannot be interrogated again (but can still be traded back). Receive a random reward, which might include:
    • Reveal the current location of all of the prisoner's fellow spies for a fixed amount of time (without the other civ knowing you know).
    • Cancel all of that civ's current missions.
    • Provide increased visibility and chance of success for missions (like a Listening Post, but with a long duration, and can stack with Listening Post).
    • Automatically succeed at performing a mission that the prisoner's civ had previously committed against the interrogator's civ, essentially allow for the reversal of a Siphon Funds, Great Works Heist, Disrupt Rocketry, etc.
    • Gain a large number of grievances and/or cassus beli against the civ (dirty laundry aired).
  5. If the spy is traded back, the owner is notified after the trade whether or not it was interrogated. An interrogated spy suffers a "burned" penalty for a while, operating at a level lower.
  6. Possibly allow for a spy in the cell to be rescued from captivity by another spy via an Extraction mission. In this case, the captured spy probably needs to bake in his cell for ten turns or so before it can be interrogated, otherwise the window for attempting an extraction becomes too tricky to bother with.
  7. Add an Breakout Artist promotion for spies that makes them two levels higher for purposes of counter interrogation, increasing their chances of the Interrogate Prisoner mission failing and allowing all fellow captured spies to escape with it.

I've got some thoughts on this but I don't think this is the right place. You might want to open its own thread.

Problem: AI religious units frequently snipe cities out from the human player, especially in large empires. The human player just finds out with visual checking that a bunch his cities have been converted, and his inquisitors just sat there like chumps.

Solution:
  • Allow religious units to put in an alert status mode just like religious units, activating them when foreign religious units are near.
  • Provide a notification when a city is being attacked with another religion's Spread Religion ability.
I would like a notification when foreign religious units are in my territory, but that isn't a reasonable ask given that religious units flit about through foreign territory with abandon.
Oh, and the damn debaters should be flagged in some way that calls them out.

Rock bands from rival civ's should be able to battle each other.

Not sure of that. But I do think there should be more ways to counter Rock Bands. Right now I think there's only a policy which allows you to do that (might be wrong).

E.g.:

Government Type, Fascism: You may 'condemn' foreign Rock Bands with military units.
Government Type, Theocracy: You may fight Rock Bands with Religious units.

Something along those lines.

Make Enormous map size official. Honestly, it is the only size which seems to fit nicely with Epic speed. I don't see the reason for it not to be in the game.

1. Gedemon's YNAMP proves it can be done;
2. Sure, it's more taxing on one's system, but not unreasonably so. Playing Enormous in Civ 6 on my current system is equivalent to playing Huge in Civ 5 in my older system from 5 years ago.
3. It would allow you to play with 16 Civs. This is very important in Civ 6, since unlike Civ 5, there's no reasonable way to play with more Civs. In Civ 6, increasing the amount of civs over the recommended amount tends to be detrimental. You need the extra space in this game. So the solution to play with more Civs has got to be a larger map.

Military engineers should be able to close or open tunnels in their territory without expending a charge, and close or open tunnels in enemy territory with a charge.

Given the latest revamping and thought going into Great Admirals, isn't it about time we have a Pirate Great Admiral? Consider this: The new unit would convert any type ship into a nationless pirate/privateer that would allow you to attack and pillage for your civ without the consequences or need for a war. This unit would have the chance to capture opposing ships if a victory is won...and would itself be subject to capture should an opposing civilization have that ability.

Aerodromes should be included in the set of buildings that can grant general production bonuses for Corporate Libertarianism. This means that a city with an Encampment, a Commercial Hub and an Aerodrome can get +30% general production from CL.

My compelling reasons for this idea are as follows:
1. Please make Aerodromes better.
2. Please make Aerodromes better.
3. The description for CL mentions the efficient transfers of goods and services, and one would think having access to air transportation would help facilitate these transfers. Not that air freighting is cheap, but the additional option for moving supplies and personnel around at air speeds would seem useful for corporations that value time. Amazon would be a good irl example of this I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom