1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Camikaze, Oct 17, 2010.

1. zehcoutinho

zehcoutinho Chieftain

I like to play with my leader being random, and since now we have a Hall of Fame, I think it would be nice to have in the game creation screen, when you have your leader set to random, a little checkbox to tell the game not to choose a leader for you with whom you have already achieved a victory. I hate to have to restart the game because the leader randomly chosen is one that I already won with, and this problem gets worse after you have won with a lot of leaders. I know that this is a minor thing, and maybe a little niche, but I´d love to have this option when creating a new game.

Depravo and White Spider 8 like this.
  2. MonkeyPaw

MonkeyPaw Chieftain

Keep newly researched Strategic Resources hidden in fog of war until you actually move nearby to reveal it

AntSou and White Spider 8 like this.
  3. White Spider 8

White Spider 8 Chieftain

I would love to see a Border War option, fewer Grievances than a full on war. The ability to take 3-5 tiles along your border that perhaps another Civ beat you to, or you’re just expanding and had to Settle in a tight spot and want to take a few tiles, but not a whole City. A Casus Belli to regain your original border to go with it.

Make it like an emergency/contest where the two Civs earn points and exert pressure on the contested tiles. Each tile having its own contest. You may win them all or just some of them. The original owner should have a slight advantage. Distance from City Center having an effect. Occupying a tile with a unit helps, but killing enemy units adds grievances and has a negative effect.

steveg700, MisterBoomBoom and Depravo like this.
  4. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

I'd go further: allow to distinguish between no access, trade rights, civilian access, naval access and unconditional access. Naval access should require an embassy. (Caravel's ability to ignore this should be restored in exchange for a reduction in combat strength, Knarr's perhaps added.) Unconditional access should only be possible to grant a co-belligerent or formal ally. Refusing civilian or trader access should only be possible if the civ is denouncing, should give grievances, and should further envenom relations. However, going full Hermit Kingdom should reduce loyalty pressure against you.

Access rights and diplomatic missions in general need to be less of a no-brainer. Many civs saw 'opening' as a mortal threat and fought it tooth and nail. If your civ is a basket case in a particular area, for example, trade routes or delegations from civs that are beating you in that area should cause loyalty and growth to 'flow' from the losing side to the winning one. This would also make the Loyalty mechanic less threadbare - you would have to take cities at the heart of your empire into consideration.

To help with this, I'd say a city that is losing loyalty should cease to be taken into account for loyalty pressure. This could have a snowball effect if you take your eyes off the road.

5. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Automatic Open Borders to City States which your allies are Suzerain of.

6. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Gold sent during Aid Requests should be its own option in the trading screen "e.g. send aid", rather than a normal gift.
    Then cap all the gold received by the target by 50%.

This way civs could spend their gold on points during aid requests as usual, but without the ridiculous increase to the amount of gold owned by the target player.

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  7. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Upon reaching Alliance Level 3 a Permanent Alliance may be formed. A civ may form a max of 2 permanent alliances in any given game. A permanent alliance may not be broken after being formed.

Whenever a Civ achieves any type of victory, its allies are also victorious.
    ---

Final score is the average of the two/three civs scores if human player triggered Victory, or -20% if an allied civ triggers the Victory.

Knightfall likes this.
  8. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Warlord Supporter

Sewers provide a base +1 amenity, then provide an additional +1 amenity and +1 housing if built in a city with an Aqueduct.

Would be a way to make Sewers and Aqueducts more appealing.

9. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Tweak the civilopedia to find search terms. If I type "Colonial War" I should be shown a list of the pages that mention colonial war, even if there isn't a specific page for it.

10. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Civil Engineering (Industrial Era) unlocks the ability to Reclaim Land by converting a Coastal tile with two adjacent land tiles into a land tile. This can be accomplished via a City building project, and it can be sped up by military engineers.

11. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Half Price building and district repairs for the AI at every difficulty level. They are just useless at it and it ends up handicapping them severely.

12. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Machine Gun should be a Support unit providing an Infantry Unit on the same tile with Range: 1. Would also improve the usefulness of the Spec Ops unit.

(At present it is a Ranged unit with Range 2)

13. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Bridges should be a default tile improvement, rather than available only through the Golden Gate Bridge as at present. Either a simple one-tile improvement connecting two land tiles or extendable over two coast tiles (straight or 60 degree) connecting two land tiles.

steveg700 likes this.
  14. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Once a City-State is completely surrounded by a single Civ's borders, and that Civ is its Suzerain, an option opens up to incorporate City-State peacefully into Empire. Gain Grievances with other Civs as usual. Option Unlocked in the Industrial Age by Civic.

(Not easy to achieve so this seems like a reasonable reward.)

15. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

How about a great person that can convert barb camps into CS's? In addition, add the chance that an undestroyed barb camp that survives for 'x' long becomes its own CS rather than just continue to pump out higher-level barb units. Barbarian knight and musketmen!? Better to just go into advanced independence route with them I think.

White Spider 8 likes this.
  16. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Military Engineers should be able to repair pillaged districts by expending a charge.

17. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Issue: Desert cities are usually built around being trading posts, but commercial only receive bonuses from river and harbor adjacency. An oasis tile is better than the reset of its surrounding desert tiles, but it's hardly enough to make a desert city worth the effort.

Solution: Commercial hubs receive a nice fat adjacency bonus from adjacency to oasis tiles.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  18. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Issue: Lakes and rivers both provide fresh water, but lakes take up tiles and those tiles have compelling options for usage.

Solution: Couple of enhancements to lakes:
    • Lake tiles have an appeal rating just like land tiles and can be included in national parks.
    • Lakes have a pantheon oriented towards them (say, +1 faith for adjacent lakes and holy sites can be built on lake tiles). Pantheon name suggestions welcome!

AntSou and Knightfall like this.
  19. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Problem: AI's seem to make way too many friends, and once alliances come into play they cease to regard their own agendas.

Solution: The more friends an AI makes, their individual value diminishes because the AI can afford to take some for granted and actually pay attention to negative diplo modifiers and grievances. This should at least be the case with warhawk civ's.

Depravo likes this.
  20. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Should be able to buy spies with currencies other than production.

MisterBoomBoom and Depravo like this.