Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Shortcut key for enabling fast combat.

I would desperately want to see a "fast combat" - key in Civ! Why? For example in a situation where you are bombarding a city with - let's say - 10 bomber jets which travel from far cities up to 10 or 12 hexes, it is painfully slow to wait for a bombers arrive and go back. It takes up to 10 seconds per plane. I know that there is an option for this in the menu, but it is tedious job to go there continually enabling and disabling fast combat. My suggestion is to have a shortcut key to enable fast combat as long as you press the key - shift key for example.

I have been playing Civilization 6 with gathering storm and recently written down some suggestions along as I play.

Military and resources
Firstly I came across a situation where I bought horses from another country to make a horseman unit. To my suprise I couldn't heal the horseman and it wasn't until later i realised that you needed to have a non zero amount of the resource that is required by the unit to be able to heal it. I have two thought about this, firstly I think it should be clear why your unit doesn't heal and that you shouldn't be able to press the heal button when you dont have the resource. Secondly I think that it is a bit silly that if you just have one of the required resource you can heal any amount of units that require that recource forever, perhaps a small amount of that recourse should get consumed when healing a unit.

When talking about units and recources I also noticed that horses and iron pretty much become obsolete when entering the renaissance era, but i feel like there are still units that "should" require these resources. Here are some examples:
- Knights doesn't require horses?
- Pikeman doesn't require iron?
- Heavy chariot doesn't require horses?
- bombard doesn't require iron?
these are just some examples and I feel like there are more units that perhaps "should" require a specific resource but doesn't. I would like to see some more units like this use these resources because it makes sense and because it is not fun to have a recource that just sits in the stores and no one want to buy that because they have no use anymore.

Annoying movement
When liberating a citystate or city I find it annoying that the units that have fought for the city to save it suddenly gets teleported out from the ciry and into the enemies territory that took it over in the first place. Where it later gets killed. why cant your units stay in the city that you liberated? teleporting units isn't funny.
Moreover I find it annoying that sometimes builders and units get blocked from allied units from other countries or citystates, I suggest that you should be able to ask for a unit to move or be able to be in the same area as other friendly units.
Lastly, sometimes city states block anyone to pass on land and water and there is no way to buy open boarders with them so you are forced to declare war or become allied if you want to pass a citystate. Why not be able to buy open boardes?

Other suggestions
- The technology "siege tactics" should get boosted if you have two bombards also.
- Military engineers should be able to build roads with gold and not spend a build charge.
- you should be able to lock the camera on another angle.
- you should be able to ask what the AI is doing with its troops so close to your boarder
- sugar and tobacco should have negative effects.

Bugs
on the amber that was on land it said that sailing was required with red text even though I was able to aquire it by using a mine.

What you describe feels like the culture system of Civ IV: https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Culture_(Civ4)
It worked very well in that regard.

Yeah Civ VI became overly complicated and non physical with how it's equivalent worked. "Culture vs Tourism!" and watnot.

Would love to back to exactly 1 resource that's very, let's call it "on the map". Cities produce culture, that cultural influence is spread out from a distance from those cities and contributes to an overall "culture" score for your civ, which is applied as a score ranging from your borders.

Trade routes spread cultural influence more and in a targeted/more distant manner, so if you want to get aggressive with it, rather than choosing a trade route between cities that gives you the most resources you could do one from a culture bomb city to one that might slip into rebellion and then maybe your control. So you can choose between resources or culture aggression.

But you can pull a defensive manuever against this! Culture, science, and religion, and even gold "influence" from cities could spread across borders with say, open borders level 1 (civilian but no military). This would mean the culture and religious war would be there between neighbors, but in exchange they'd get "free" culture, gold, and science points on top of trade routes. Move to closed border and you can disallow trade routes/cut religious and cultural influence in half. But you'd be missing those otherwise free resources. I.E. make trade/borders more interesting gameplay wise, and move it closer to history (cold war, north korea, etc. etc.) as well.

I'd love to regularly see Austria in Civ series as a civ, somehow.

Yeah I know I know, it's basically German civ 2.0 (with the country just barely not ending up united with Germany, as Austrians are essentially Germans) and we have too many Western civs etc. Still - Vienna, Habsburg dynasty and Austrian empires are of such massive importance to history I'd like to see them somehow. And I'd definitely prefer them over four Anglo-Saxon civs or two Nordic civs.
- Habsburgs/Austria/Austro-Hungary being constantly among like top 5 European superpowers for almost 500 years
- Major participant of Reformation, Thirty Years War, wars against the Ottoman Empire, Napoleonic Wars, 1848, Industrial Revolution, WW1
- So much drama, and being either worthy enemy or crucial ally of countless other civs, basically having a ton of history with almost every European nation; surviving Hungarians, Ottoman onslaught, Thirty Years War, French, Swedes, Napoleon and Prussia
- Vienna being one of the biggest cities in the world in early 20th century
- And one of the few most important cities for global culture and science from late 17th till early 20th century (or even till this day)
- Arguably the capital of history of music (Mozart, Bruckner, Haydn, Mahler, Schubert, Strauss)
- ...but also Austria being birthplace of an enormous amount of top tier philosophers and scientists (Schrödinger, Pauli, Mach, Gödel, Freud, Asperger, Popper, Wittgenstein, Schumpeter, Hayek, Husserl, among others) plus artists (Klimt, Schiele, Kokoshka)
- Habsburgs being very serious candidate for the most important dynasty in European history
- A ton of unique gameplay niches and inspirations, a lot of very dramatic leaders to choose from

I'd even have no problems with the civ of Austria-Hungary with Franz Joseph being the leader - not despite but because of its multi ethnic nature. It was very unique entity, whose 'certain' collapse was not certain at all, and whose military and economy were much more advanced than often assumed (as its insane cultural output needs no further advertisement).

If we can have four Anglo-Saxon civs in one game, or two tiny Nordic nations, or we consider several Latin American nations at once, surely we could acommodate one of the most important empires in history, cultural similarity to Germany be damned.

I'd love to regularly see Austria in Civ series as a civ, somehow.

Yeah I know I know, it's basically German civ 2.0 (with the country just barely not ending up united with Germany, as Austrians are essentially Germans) and we have too many Western civs etc. Still - Vienna, Habsburg dynasty and Austrian empires are of such massive importance to history I'd like to see them somehow. And I'd definitely prefer them over four Anglo-Saxon civs or two Nordic civs.
- Habsburgs/Austria/Austro-Hungary being constantly among like top 5 European superpowers for almost 500 years
- Major participant of Reformation, Thirty Years War, wars against the Ottoman Empire, Napoleonic Wars, 1848, Industrial Revolution, WW1
- So much drama, and being either worthy enemy or crucial ally of countless other civs, basically having a ton of history with almost every European nation; surviving Hungarians, Ottoman onslaught, Thirty Years War, French, Swedes, Napoleon and Prussia
- Vienna being one of the biggest cities in the world in early 20th century
- And one of the few most important cities for global culture and science from late 17th till early 20th century (or even till this day)
- Arguably the capital of history of music (Mozart, Bruckner, Haydn, Mahler, Schubert, Strauss)
- ...but also Austria being birthplace of an enormous amount of top tier philosophers and scientists (Schrödinger, Pauli, Mach, Gödel, Freud, Asperger, Popper, Wittgenstein, Schumpeter, Hayek, Husserl, among others) plus artists (Klimt, Schiele, Kokoshka)
- Habsburgs being very serious candidate for the most important dynasty in European history
- A ton of unique gameplay niches and inspirations, a lot of very dramatic leaders to choose from

I'd even have no problems with the civ of Austria-Hungary with Franz Joseph being the leader - not despite but because of its multi ethnic nature. It was very unique entity, whose 'certain' collapse was not certain at all, and whose military and economy were much more advanced than often assumed (as its insane cultural output needs no further advertisement).

If we can have four Anglo-Saxon civs in one game, or two tiny Nordic nations, or we consider several Latin American nations at once, surely we could acommodate one of the most important empires in history, cultural similarity to Germany be damned.
I think the key to including Austria in the game on a regular basis is to absolutely emphasize its differences from Germany. If the way the two are modeled is not very distinctively different, the question arises of Why Two German Civs?

I can think of several good distinctions that could also be the basis for very different types of play in the game.

1. Distinguish between the Holy Roman Empire and both Germany and Austria. The method, I suggest, could be to have the HRE as a separate political entity from the Civs. It was, after all, comprised of numerous separate states, and while dominated by the Big Ones, did not even consist entirely of German 'Civs' for much of its existence, since it also included at various times Bohemia and Italian states. Give it a separate existence: something like the Extra-National World Congress, but more specific with some good benefits (military, commercial, political and diplomatic could all be legitimately derived from the historical reality) but also requiring some effort and expenditure of resources to stay on top of it. Members could include not only Civs but also City States and virtually all kinds of political entities from the size of Tribal Huts (after all, the HRE included German statelets you could walk across in less than a day) to Civs like Austria, Bohemia, Bavaria, Brandenburg (Prussia), etc.

2. Emphasize the multi-national character of the 'Austrian' Empire. Unique methods of absorbing other cultures and political entities, either through the previous Civ's diplomatic or other methods, with perhaps anorther Unique ability to maintain both multi-national Civ and the HRE-like multi-national supra-Civ organization.

3. Whatever emphasis is given to Germany proper as a Civ, use something completely different for Austria. If Germany is an Industrial Giant, emphasize Culture, or elements of Science. If Germany is a military power, Austria should be (potentially) a cultural or diplomatic or something else for emphasis. That goes equally for Leaders. Do Not give Austria a Leader with military Uniques if Germany also has one.

I would even go so far as to suggest a motto that could be posted in the office where the game design teams meet, to keep the basic Austrian-German difference before them. It's one I first heard in Germany over 40 years ago:

"In Berlin, things might be Serious, but they were never Hopeless
In Vienna, things might be Hopeless, but they were never Serious."

Yeah Civ VI became overly complicated and non physical with how it's equivalent worked. "Culture vs Tourism!" and watnot.

Would love to back to exactly 1 resource that's very, let's call it "on the map". Cities produce culture, that cultural influence is spread out from a distance from those cities and contributes to an overall "culture" score for your civ, which is applied as a score ranging from your borders.

Trade routes spread cultural influence more and in a targeted/more distant manner, so if you want to get aggressive with it, rather than choosing a trade route between cities that gives you the most resources you could do one from a culture bomb city to one that might slip into rebellion and then maybe your control. So you can choose between resources or culture aggression.

But you can pull a defensive manuever against this! Culture, science, and religion, and even gold "influence" from cities could spread across borders with say, open borders level 1 (civilian but no military). This would mean the culture and religious war would be there between neighbors, but in exchange they'd get "free" culture, gold, and science points on top of trade routes. Move to closed border and you can disallow trade routes/cut religious and cultural influence in half. But you'd be missing those otherwise free resources. I.E. make trade/borders more interesting gameplay wise, and move it closer to history (cold war, north korea, etc. etc.) as well.

If they do have culture I'd like to see unique culture tile improvements to fancy up your civ...and hey its a great opportunity to sell unique ones that you can buy like skins for other games. It would be cool to choose a fountain or a statue or a park all with different designs just for those builders

Why not add another ancient civilization?
Hittite
Archery units start promoted..
AFAIK I can't find a uu or ub for it but it would look good if it's added along with all the civilizations that exist. Hittite was a halfway decent power that existed in ancient era of civilization.

Considering the mounted archer was used ubiquitously among most Eurasian peoples, (and apparently by some African as well?), should it be a default/generic unit available to all civs like the Knight and Courser?

Why not add another ancient civilization?
Hittite
Archery units start promoted..
AFAIK I can't find a uu or ub for it but it would look good if it's added along with all the civilizations that exist. Hittite was a halfway decent power that existed in ancient era of civilization.
Here are two Hittite civ designs from elsewhere in the forum:
Since I hope Hattusa won't remain a city-state forever...

The Hittites

Civ Ability:
The Blood of Hatti
- Eureka Bonuses for all ancient and classical military techs can be gained by clearing barbarian camps & villages; Iron Working is boosted 80% upon discovering Bronze Working.
- Copper, Iron, and Silver resources provide double quantities.
Unique Building: Seal House
- Replaces Granary
- Small bonus to Production and Gold for all trade routes into/out of the city.
+10% Production of Trade, Melee, Support, and Mounted Units (+25% upon discovering Bronze Working).
Unique Unit: Hulukanni
- Replaces Heavy Chariot
- Double XP cap from barbarians.
- Attack bonus against barbarians and city-state units, ignores enemy Zone of Control.

Leader 1: (Great Queen) Puduhepa
~
Leader Ability: The Thousand Gods
- Choose 1 additional Pantheon Bonus upon founding a religion.
- Apostles of other religions are -25% less effective at spread religion/theological combat in Hittite territory, and each of their attempted conversions has a small chance (5-10%?) of spreading their religion's pantheon bonus to the target city (if it is not already present in another Hittite city). When a Hittite inquisitor removes a foreign religion, the city keeps the religion's pantheon bonus/associated benefits.
Agenda: Tawananna
- Puduhepa will prioritize delegates to religious and mercantile city-states (and dislike other civs that associate with them), she will aggressively target other city-states and civs with weak militaries, especially those hosting religions with pantheon bonuses not yet included in her Empire.

Leader 2: (Great King) Suppiluliuma
~
Leader Ability: I, the Sun
- Infantry and Mounted Units have +30% attack against cities and their kills generate additional Great General points during the ancient and classical eras.
- If suzerain of a city state, Suppiluliuma cannot lose suzerainty if he has at least three military units on the CS's territory.
- Provides a second Unique Unit: Mesedi (or "Golden Spearmen"). Regular spearmen (with at least 2 promotions!) can be upgraded to Mesedi by spending Faith; Mesedi gain defensive bonuses when garrisoned/adjacent to cities/districts, or adjacent to/grouped with Great People. They gain additional offensive bonuses when grouped with/adjacent to Great Generals and/or Hulukanni. Limited to 1 Mesedi per city, 2 for cities with temples, capital city allows 3.
Agenda: Manly Deeds
- Suppiluliuma is moderately agressive (more-so to militaristic city-states, others he courts diplomatically), he respects civs with large militaries and subordinate city-states, but dislikes those suzerain over more city-states than he. Players who defeat an invasion by Suppi will find that his relationship becomes positive after making peace, provided none of his cities were taken in retaliation.
Civ - the Hittites
Ability: Dawn of Iron - No techs needed to reveal strategic resources (except uranium and oil). Gain strategic resources at double rate. +2 Science from mines or quarries over resources.

Leader - Mursili II
Ability: Eclipse Prophecy - Unlocks Lion Gate building. Units take 50% less damage from natural disasters. When natural disasters occur near a unit, it is upgraded (if you have the tech/civic and resources required) and gains a special promotion that gives faith and xp on kill based on disaster intensity (ie; +5 faith/xp if mild flood, +25 faith/xp if 1000 year flood).

unique unit
Three-man Chariot: Replaces Heavy Chariot. Has +7 Combat Strength when being attacked and counts as an anti-cavalry unit while fighting cavalry units.

unique building
Lion Gate: Replaces Monument. +1 Loyalty. At full Loyalty gain +2 Great General points for every era since constructed or repaired and adjacent enemy units have -7 Combat Strength.

unique improvement
Bloomery: Can only be used to improve Iron, consumes Iron and outputs CO2 every turn. Gives +3 military unit production along with an additional +1 per adjacent mine or quarry, and units trained in a city with a Bloomery have a unique promotion tree.

hittite unique promotion tree:

Meteoric Iron Edge - do 25% more damage to units beneath 50% hp

Meteoric Iron Scale - take 25% less damage when beneath 50% hp

Storm-God's Blessing - heal +10 hp per turn for 5 turns when near a natural disaster. requires Meteoric Iron Scale promotion.

Storm-God's Wrath - gain +10 combat strength for 5 turns when near a natural disaster. requires Meteoric Iron Edge promotion.

Storm-God's Secret - gains +1 charge of 'cause natural disaster', same as soothsayer unit. requires both the Storm-God's Wrath and Storm-God's Blessing promotions.

And a Hittite mod for Civilization V:

Semiramis as alternate leader for Babylon: Some research suggests the Holy Spirit "Dove" symbolism was based on Semiramis, the mother of Tammuz, one of many precursors for Christ. A queen and Goddess in her own right, with an obvious focus on Religion.

Eurynome: The Holy Dove - All cities following the Religion founded by Semiramis send out a burst of religious pressure every time Babylon unlocks a Eureka. If Babylon fails to found a Religion, and there are no more left, their capital is automatically converted to the religion with the most cities. After gaining a Religion, all Babylonian cities start with 1 follower. (Which means that 1 population cities are instantly converted.)

New leader for Germany with focus on cultural victory: The capital gains 1 great artist point per turn, gain great artists at the same cost as whichever one is currently available, but receive a unique great artist instead. Great Artist points are reset, but the current artist is not replaced nor does the cost increase. Capital has room for 2 works of art, in addition to it's normal slot. Receive a free great artist after building an Encampment for the first time.

Famous Warmonger: Razing down a city generates grievances to all players, not just the one Germany is at war with. Receive a boost of Tourism to all players whenever you raze down a city.

So who is this cultural leader? That is not important, just approve my idea and put me in touch with the graphic designers. Okay, I will tell you:
Spoiler Leader :
Yes, it is Adolph. He always wanted to go to art school. Fill up your empire with unique pictures of him. :)

Although I like the idea of adding the Hittites, that would mean yet another city state, Hattusa, has to be renamed. Well, it's a lousy city state anyway. There have been a few games where I capture it, and pretend I have taken their capital.

Last edited:
New leader for Germany with focus on cultural victory: The capital gains 1 great artist point per turn, gain great artists at the same cost as whichever one is currently available, but receive a unique great artist instead. Great Artist points are reset, but the current artist is not replaced nor does the cost increase. Capital has room for 2 works of art, in addition to it's normal slot. Receive a free great artist after building an Encampment for the first time.

Famous Warmonger: Razing down a city generates grievances to all players, not just the one Germany is at war with. Receive a boost of Tourism to all players whenever you raze down a city.

So who is this cultural leader? That is not important, just approve my idea and put me in touch with the graphic designers. Okay, I will tell you:
Spoiler Leader :
Yes, it is Adolph. He always wanted to go to art school. Fill up your empire with unique pictures of him. :)
Well, first, we already have Mad Ludwig as a cultural leader for Germany (although I would prefer they make him Leader of a separate Bavaria, but that's just my Germanic ancestry speaking).

But second, how to account for all the Great Artists and Great Scientists that left Germany because they couldn't stand Adolph and his murderous followers? Not to mention his Great Generals, a certain percentage of which spent most of their time planning to assassinate him?

Let's see, for every Great Artist generated by Adolph's UA, two Great People move to other Civs (at random) and one Great General is removed because he was arrested for plotting against the Fuhrer?

Sounds about right.

Last edited:
Considering the mounted archer was used ubiquitously among most Eurasian peoples, (and apparently by some African as well?), should it be a default/generic unit available to all civs like the Knight and Courser?
And even the much later Commanche and Cheyenne, on the other side of the world. Japan and Korea also had notable mounted archers, though not nearly their most iconic unit, and Jewish mounted archers were noted in the Crusades.

I'm tempted to keep it primarily as a unique for any nomadic tribes/minor civ. Of course, the mounted archer would be available for any civ if they ally and hire from them.

I'm tempted to keep it primarily as a unique for any nomadic tribes/minor civ. Of course, the mounted archer would be available for any civ if they ally and hire from them.
I don't know. As @Bonyduck Campersang and I pointed out, there notably more widespread than that.

I don't know. As @Bonyduck Campersang and I pointed out, there notably more widespread than that.

BUT in every case, mounted archery became a useful military skill only among people who had either a pressing reason to spend their time learning (like pastoral herders protecting their flocks and herds) or lots of time due to someone else supporting them (aristocracy or professional warriors). To take the examples mentioned:
Japanese mounted archers were either Samurai or monks, in both cases paid by daimyo or the monastery to do nothing else, or to treat the required skills as devotional.
Korean mounted archery was in answer to their neighbors to the north in Siberia/Manchuria, who were part of the central Asian pastoral tradition of mounted archery as a Way of Life.
The North American mounted archers were Buffalo Hunters primarily, a beast so big and dangerous that the preferred method before they had horses was to stampede a Buffalo herd over a cliff with the threat of fire. Archery from horseback was both safer and more efficient. The Commanches, by the way, were more famous as mounted lancers than archers, but like everyone else, they didn't usually try to spear a Bison, which was only likely to annoy him enough to turn around and stomp you and your horsey into paste.
Jewish mounted archers were foes of nomadic (Arab) mounted archers on the borders of Judeah, and so adopted the technique for the same reason the Koreans did.

Other places where neighboring groups adopted mounted archery in answer to their aggressive neighbors include the Russian city states against the post-Mongol Great or Golden Horde ('Tatars') and early Polish and Hungarian light cavalry against Turkish and steppe nomad groups of raiders. BUT in both cases they quickly abandoned the expensive and time-consuming mounted archery for either mounted lancers or gunpowder weapons.

AND in every case where mounted archery was 'nice to have' but not considered Necessary, the answer was to hire
them instead of trying to train them domestically. First, because the combined skills of riding and archery both required a lot of time and practice so the practicing people had to be fed and maintained by someone else, and also because keeping horses required a lot of land that would not be available to feed people, making the mounted archer a very expensive unit for settled, city-based (i.e., All Civs as the game represents them) cultures.

If they had enough reason and enough Gold they could hire quite a few of them, though. The Byzantine armies under Belisarius in Italy and Africa consisted almost entirely of a strike force consisting of cataphract heavy cavalry and hired Hun horse archers. In the Notitia Dignatorum of the late (post-Attila) Roman Empire, they list numerous auxiliary units of Equites Sagitaria Hunnae : mounted Hun archers - one of which was stationed in Britain, which probably produced some serious 'culture shock' on all sides there!

For game purposes, I suggest that the mounted archer be a 'Barbarian' or Non-City-Based Group unit, but available to hire as mercenaries (and Hear Me, Firaxis, Civ VII Needs A Mercenary Mechanic in General) by any nearby Civ with the Gold.

Sure, but at the same time I think that would make the use of pastoral/nomadic tribes less unique, unless we can think of another useful unit to give them ( I can only thing of the heavy cataphract because the light horseman wouldn't go anywhere).
Either way my idea was similar to the one above that they would still be available to hire as mercenaries from these tribes, just not be outright buildable for everyone.

Semiramis as leader of Babylon:

Queen of heaven: Each City gets +2 faith in a normal age, +2 gold in a golden age, or +2 production in a dark age. All cities with Babylon's religion spread religious pressure to nearby cities every time Babylon unlocks a Eureka. This effect will sometimes erode religious pressure, like the Proselytyzer does.

The +2 faith per city really helps you get a pantheon going, but the +2 gold in a golden age is not as useful. The +2 production in a dark age can help you turn the tide. As a religious leader, the faith is the most useful, but Golden Ages are still going to be better for Exodus.

Top Bottom