1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ III barbarian village and settlers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Juzam_Djinn, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Juzam_Djinn

Juzam_Djinn Chieftain

I have a simple question, and I previously thank who will be so kind to answer it:
    I remember that in an older version of CivIII (or maybe was CivII) I used to play times ago you had the chance to get a settler when entering peaceful barbarian villages.
    I recently bought CivIII with steam and no matter how many times I try I can never get the free settler from barb villages. :cry:
    Do anyone knows if getting the free settler was a bug and now it has been repaired ? Has anybody suggestions on how to get the settler by barbs ? :confused:

2. GenDeFeat

GenDeFeat Chieftain

I believe that what you get from goody huts and barbarian villages is all random. From barbarian villages I've always gotten gold and nothing else. From huts I've received gold, free tech, maps of small regions, warriors, and very rarely a settler. What seems to happen a lot though from the huts is three barbarians spawn. FYI I have CivIII Complete from Steam as well.

3. justanick

justanick Chieftain

4. Juzam_Djinn

Juzam_Djinn Chieftain

Many thanks.;)

5. Juzam_Djinn

Juzam_Djinn Chieftain

... by the way : no cheats for that ?

6. justanick

justanick Chieftain

You can uncheck the random seed option. Donnot ask me what the precise name in englisch for that is. But if you uncheck it, than you can save and reload before entering a village in favour of better luck. The same works for battles and pollution and even for getting SGL. I would however advise against cheating and against low difficulty settings, too. It spoils the fun and it ruins your gameplay by educating you to not play good.

There are however some legitimate moves:

1. Play the sumerians. As they cannot build warrior they will get horsemen instead of warrior out of huts.

2. Keep a not above average amount of cities and no settlers either active or under construction(switch project while entering a hut). That way you can max out settlers from huts. Building granaries and workers can help to keep your amount of cities low in the short term and will help you much in the mid term.

3. Keep a not above average amount of cities to max out getting cities from huts. Also those huts must be at least 4 tiles away from your nearest city to be come a city. So any hut outside the (theoretical) double expanded cultural influence of a city can become a city.

4. Delay leaving the ancient times till all huts are opened. If you get techs from huts you can save money research with deficit spending later. Also you will no longer get cities, settlers or military from huts opened by cultural expansion once you have left the ancient times.

5. Open huts by founding a city. That way you get no barbarians. But than you get no settler or city either.

6. Have no military. That way you get no barbarians.

7. Research cheap techs first. That way you will get the more expensive techs from huts. You might also trade for techs to max out the value of techs from huts. If you even utilize gold per turn for this you might get maximum effect. But donnot overdo it either. There are limits to what is reasonable.

8. Choose the research target wisely. The current project is not going to be chosen by a hut unless there is no alternative available. Point 8 is usually already implemented by point 7. But there might by other situation, too. Also be careful about switching ongoing projects. You donnot want to lose progress, do you?

9. Aim for seafaring civs and getting map making early. Sometimes there are huts on lone island.

10. Play huge maps. The bigger the map the more huts. But be careful, huge maps are really time consuming.

11. Minimize the amount of civs. There less civs there are the more huts will be left for you to open.

7. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Hey J,
    I was playing Mesopotamia scenario last night and made a city that popped a hut... out came 3 barbarians.

Maybe the scenarios are a little different.

8. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

cities do not pop barbs from a hut within its 9 original tiles. if culture spaces become filled for other tiles that hut stands on, you can get barbs from it.
    t_x

9. Juzam_Djinn

Juzam_Djinn Chieftain

Thank you very much Justanik!