1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ III Complete Playablity and Mods

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Macintosh' started by Aiolos, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Aiolos

Aiolos Chieftain

I am thinking about buying an old copy of Civ 3 Complete for Mac. How will it run? Civ4 and CiV are very slow in later periods for me, and I want to be able to finish a game I didnt win early.

My specs are:
    Mac OS X Version 10.5.8
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Also, are there any mods for Mac CivIII, and could you all mention your favorite ones if so? Much thanks :)

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

A key component that you need to specify when talking about game performance is the Graphics hardware.

Having said that, Civ3 Complete should run fine on most Intel-based Macs. You *must* upgrade it to Rev A, though. The original DVD installs a PowerPc-only package that uses Rosetta as a translator to run on Intel hardware. The Rev A patch turns it into a native application and fixes a few bugs.

You'll have to wait for others to reply on mods.

3. Aiolos

Aiolos Chieftain

From the graphics database in "More Info". Thanks for the help.

4. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

That card is not on Aspyr's list of supported cards for Civ5. It might struggle with Civ4 as well, but it should be OK for Civ3, which doesn't need the 3D capabilities that are used in the newer versions.