Civ III GOTM after 2022

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, May 21, 2022.

?

How many Civilization III Games of the Month should there be after 2022?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2022.
  1. None

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Two games (both PTW and C3C) per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Two games (both PTW and C3C) per quarter like now

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  4. One game (either PTW or C3C) per month as suggested above

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Two games (both PTW and C3C) per month like in the old time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Something else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

It appears that interest in the friendly Civilization III contest is waning. There is absolutely no activity in the discussion threads and very few submissions. It seems to me that the model with two parallel games per quarter has failed. I think we should either have more games or fewer. Actually, it seems to be easier to find willing game modifiers and designers than active players. So perhaps we should play more often, but also more focussed on just one active game at a time?

I suggest that we go back to having a new game every month, but just one, either Play the World or Conquests. We could have each variant every second month. We could let the games stay open for two weeks into the following month. That way, we would have news and things to talk about twice per month and still only have 50% more games in total. There would also only be a two-week hiatus between games of either variant for those of us who play only one of them.

What do you think? Please cast your vote in the attached poll (no mail-in ballots!) and add your wishes, suggestions and comments directly in this thread!

2. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

Re myself, you are right: no way I can finish a serious game within 4 or 6 weeks. Hardly any playing time whatsoever. However, I can contribute a game every now and then. And hope you guys like it. ;)
    t_x

3. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

Therefore, I went for the "keep it the way it is" option ;)

4. BaTTleBOtfan54

BaTTleBOtfan54 Chieftain

I haven't played a GOTM before, but I am planning on it for next quarter. Having 3 months to finish a game is good for me, so I voted for that.

5. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I voted for two per quarter, but would also go with one per quarter. In any case, I think that reducing the play time back to 4 or 6 weeks, will not increase the number of submissions... Especially for "the older generation", it is easier to find some time for playing and finishing, if you have three months to do it. Then chances are much higher, that there's a week of vacation, a longer weekend, or a less busy week at work, where one can find some time for playing.

Più Freddo likes this.
  6. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

OK, so it appears that it's not the slow tempo that kills interest, so it must be something else. Perhaps the spoiler thread was just to complex. We can try with just one discussion/spoiler thread ruled by personal discretion alone.

Lanzelot likes this.
  7. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

I thought about playing one recently. I've several times fired up a COTM, but then didn't play it out for one reason or another, mostly because I was used to playing HoF starts with powerful starts. But, now I'm warming up to more average and even did a sub ten shield start today and it was pretty fun. Except now, I'm using the C3X mod, and I'm not sure I want to play without it for a few reasons.

And, of course, I understand that everyone needs to play the same version, otherwise we have different rule sets.

8. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord Supporter

I actually favor Piu's idea of one game active at at time. Monthly works fine for me.
    Perhaps one game released at the start of the quarter and then the other game released at the six week mark?
    I will play whatever games are given, but if it is a higher level game I have no chance of winning so it is less fun but still takes the time.

Would there be any interest in reviving specific victory conditions or playing games with unique rules? I know some people play a Five City Challenge, and there used to be games where, for instance, only a 100k Cultural Victory was allowed. That might spike interest.

Another option might be a serial game (I might have the lingo wrong) where one player does some turns and the next player takes over. I can imagine an expert taking over from me after I have allowed the enemy to establish a foothold on my island and I build libraries in his war towns. That would be a lot of fun for me.