Civ III sound effect on the history channel

joycem10

Deity
Not sure if this should be in off topic or here but...

Has anyone seen the commercial for the History Channel series, "Barbarians!".

The end of the commercial features some anonymous guy being stabbed by a barbarian. Listen to the sound effect, to me it sounds like one of the ancient age units being killed. I love that distinctive "ungh".

That was so hilarious. I was like laughing for the longest time. I only stoped because i had to go to the washroom.

Ha ha ha! I had noticed it before and forgot where i heard it from.
Funny plagerizing, or whatever ya call it.

maybe it was just a coincidence. after all, i think that most 'unghs' are similar... :)

I would hardly call it plagiarism. Chances are, the sound clip itself predates its use in both. I've often noticed certain incidental sound effects are re-used in many places on television and in computer games. Especially sounds like giant doors opening or warriors grunting. I assume there's a stock collection somewhere that exists specifically for that purpose.

LMFAO, damn man, hahaha, we truely are CIV Fanatics. Where we hear little sound effects from CIV. Ahh, gives me that warm at home playing CIV3 feeling when I hear the "rarrgh!" :king:

I've heard it too. I've also heard the CIV II ancient unit fight sound on Europus Universalis.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:rotfl::rotfl:
My god! They finally killed that damn spearman!!!

Edit: I love the History Channel. I watch it all the time, and not once when I saw that did I hear that.

Saw it on TV today, and I don't think it's the same. There's only so many ways to grunt, but there's enough difference between the two. It's just your brain taking something that it's heard before and associating it with what you're hearing now.

I've heard that tinkling sound that occurs when you're in diplomacy, on the Discovery Channel - now there can't be too many of those sounds...

I cant believe you actually saw the preview and thought about civilization3 grunt made by a unit. You are true civfanatic :goodjob:

Originally posted by Loaf Warden
I would hardly call it plagiarism. Chances are, the sound clip itself predates its use in both. I've often noticed certain incidental sound effects are re-used in many places on television and in computer games. Especially sounds like giant doors opening or warriors grunting. I assume there's a stock collection somewhere that exists specifically for that purpose.

A friend let me watch an airing of his radio show once and I sat and watched him use tapes to insert odd noises and musical interludes throughout the program. When I asked him about the tapes, he took me into a room with rows of long racks of many, many shelves containing these tapes. I couldn't believe how many there were. Each tape had an array (about 30, I guess) of related sounds or themes -- from hot dogs sizzling to horrified screams; trains, cats, weapons fire, coffee brewing, round engines, typing, spearmen being killed -- you name it, they had it. They're stock industry sounds, to be used however one wishes once the tape is purchased.

Originally posted by joycem10
http://www.historychannel.com/barbarians/

click "watch the preview" about halfway through right before "january 19th" pops up on the screen you can hear it.

im shocked by this blatant theft of Firaxis' intellectual property.

:lol: Take the quiz... it is very funny.

Originally posted by nova

A friend let me watch an airing of his radio show once and I sat and watched him use tapes to insert odd noises and musical interludes throughout the program. When I asked him about the tapes, he took me into a room with rows of long racks of many, many shelves containing these tapes. I couldn't believe how many there were. Each tape had an array (about 30, I guess) of related sounds or themes -- from hot dogs sizzling to horrified screams; trains, cats, weapons fire, coffee brewing, round engines, typing, spearmen being killed -- you name it, they had it. They're stock industry sounds, to be used however one wishes once the tape is purchased.

Ah, confirmation of my suspicions. It would only make sense that it's done that way. It would be too much of a hassle to have to make your own sound effects every time you need one, especially for a radio show. So if the sound effect in the preview is indeed the same as one in Civ III, then no doubt the reason is because they used the same stock tapes, rather than that the History Channel ripped off the sound from Firaxis.

You mean, they didn't hire actual barbarians and have them beat up real archers to get those sounds... They are keeping barbarians from legitimate employment, no wonder they are so violent and pillage all the time. They need a union! ;)

Originally posted by Loaf Warden

I've heard 2 other special effects used over and over. a "ka-BOOOM-boooom" for WWII battleship explosions, and a "pehhhh-whip!" for supersonic projectile sound effects. There probably is a sound effects library in the music industry somewhere... I've even seen some CDs with sound effects for games and media.

BTW, I couldn't help but think in Civ3 terms watching that...

"There goes the elite beserker units. I wonder if they'll create a MGL."
"Here come the med inf, pikes and longbows!"

:D

I thought that sounded familiar.

Ever since I got Civ3, I've been watching quite a bit of the History channel. It is much more interesting than most of the drivel on the rest of the channels.

Good ear joycem10.

I assume there's a stock collection somewhere that exists specifically for that purpose.
Several stock collections to be precise. I used to work for a multimedia company, and we had stacks of off-the-shelf CDs with sound effects on them. Given that producing those sound effects CDs has to represent a fairly small niche market, I imagine a lot of people are using the same collections of sounds for lots of things.

Top Bottom