1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ III the Board Game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by rlw33, Mar 18, 2003.

1. rlw33

rlw33 Warlord

I hope this isn't off topic (it probably is:rolleyes: )

Anyhoo,

Has anyone bought/played the civ III board game and given it a go?
    If so, what did you think of it?
    I'm curious to know if it's worth the money or not.

cheers,

Raymond

Moderator Action: You know, instead of making a second post right after the first to apologize for the misspelling, you could have simply edited the first post to correct it. (Like I just did.) ;) --Padma
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

2. andvruss

andvruss Deity

I've seen the Civ2 board game...never really interested. It wold probably way longer to play than on the comp! To complex for me, probably.... :p:

3. gunning1

gunning1 Emperor

I haven't played it and probably wont because it costs $30-50...Not sure how much though...I don't even know how you would play it so I probably won't play...Tell me if it is good though! :D

4. mazzz

mazzz Emperor

Im dying to try it, i wonder how it works...

5. MadHatter

MadHatter Warlord

I bought it about 3 months ago on eBay for $45. We play about once or twice a month when we can. It's best with 4-5 players.

It's fun for all types of people, not just war gamers. It's sort of like "Risk meets Go!" (Remember "Go!" the trading game?).

The map is set up on the level of "Risk" with the world broken up into large provinces. Each province has the potential of holding a resource. Players attempt to make groups of 3, 4, and 5 of a kind by acquiring provinces and/or trading in order to make more money.

Technology is bought with coin and "units available" upgrade for all with the purchase of technology (by any one player) or the passing of an era (ancient, medieval, industrial, modern).

Rule Variations abound at Eagle Games' website for those interested in tweaking their gameplay.

6. Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Dan Magaha FIRAXIS Firaxian

I should also point out that the game itself, like all Eagle games, is of outstanding build quality. It *is* expensive, but the box is HEAVY. There are a ton of pieces in there, and IMHO the game looks great too.

The only thing I wonder is how people get those pieces back in the box after they detach them from the plastic frames they're held in... :confused:

Dan

7. MadHatter

MadHatter Warlord

I bought an organizer case that is made to hold screws, nuts, bolts and such. It even fits inside the box!
    (most people use ziploc sandwich bags)

8. china444

china444 Ain't no thang

I want to play it.
    But then again, i have it on PC.
    Try Risk 2050 AD.
    Now thats sweet!

9. Noldodan

Noldodan 2 years of waiting...

I would like to play it as well, but I probably wouldn't get to much.:( And China, Risk 2050 IS sweet.

10. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Emperor

I've played it and didn't get too impressed. Yes, the game looks great, but I don't think the game itself flows very well. There are sever balance issues and rules that don't seem to work well.

I'd much rather play Avalon Hill's old Advanced Civilization boardgame (which was much of the inspiration of the original civ computer game), which I think is one of the best board games ever made.