1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ IV diplomacy features?

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by Putmalk, Apr 27, 2013.

1. albie_123

albie_123 Modding In Secret

I don't think map trading is at all a good idea as it makes exploration considerably less important.

Tech trading is pretty bad too for a whole heap of reasons - probably more detail on the Civ IV forums regarding that. ;)

As for Vassalage, while it's fun, it's a big change to the vanilla game. If you wanted to put it in, sure, but, it's not exactly in line with this mod.

2. Hambil

Hambil Emperor

I have to disagree on making exploration less important - you can sell maps for a lot of cash.

3. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

Vassalage is needed, IMO, and just makes sense.

4. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Basically this concept was rolled into city state alliances.

5. albie_123

albie_123 Modding In Secret

Yeah, even though I love vassalage, it's definitely anything but needed. I play with the Civ IV diplomacy mod and find that it adds a bit of fun but gameplay wise it doesn't really seem like it filled a hole, it just added something entirely new.

6. Delekhan

Delekhan Prince

On map trading, I'd say probably not. The process of meeting new civs and city-states is an integral part of the CivV experience, plus how does the game handle all the CS gold/culture/faith gifts when trading maps may instantly reveal a dozen of them?

As for tech trading, that's kind of in direct conflict with the RA system in CivV (Which I definitely prefer! It requires real cooperation over many turns, as opposed to instant tech trades)

I played Civ4 BTS way too much, yet I never once used the vassal system (I like to keep things simple. Crush thy opponents utterly, as Machiavelli advises!), so I can't really comment on that.

7. mystikx21

mystikx21 Deity

I don't like the RA system where it provides a tech at the end versus a consistent flow of science. So far the AI doesn't seem to have enough money for them though, and I'm too lazy to gift them money so they can sign one.

Vassals were overrated in Civ4. The only advantage was if they were close in tech and were somehow not totally destroyed in the war to boost tech, or late game to spread corporations more easily and suck up some resources on demand. Otherwise it was generally better to have their cities or territory for yourself. I suppose it was intended to cut down on having to chase down the tundra/arctic settlements every civ seems to do, or every last city tedium, but it doesn't take long to crush those last couple of cities and get it over with.

City puppets and CS alliances do a better and more engaging job in civ5.

8. Delekhan

Delekhan Prince

In GEM Research Agreements provided a bunch of :c5science: based on the :c5science: income of both civs. I think that system is better than the "choose any free tech" system in vanilla.

And you're right about AI civs never having enough gold for RA's, it can be a drag.

9. Zaldron

Zaldron King

It hasn't been one free tech for several patches now. It's based on the cost of the median-science-cost tech you have available to research at the time of completion.

10. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

1. Revealing the map doesn't meet new civs (just like goody huts wouldn't meet them either).

2. You can disable tech trading and keep research agreements active if you choose.

3. You can disable Vassalage.

11. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

I'll look into this more when I get to building the Cep Advanced version of the project. I think it looks promising. :)

12. hellagrant

hellagrant Chieftain

Has anyone been using civ IV diplomacy with communitas recently?

13. wolverine2112

wolverine2112 Warlord

ive tried it but it always crashes with cep

14. Hawawaa

Hawawaa Prime

Leave map trading for mid to late game?

15. stackpointer

stackpointer King

I've merged CivUP and an early version of Civ4DF before so I'll probably do so again for CEP when I finish working on the YieldLibrary.