1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] Civ IV Gold Edition windows 10 admin login required

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by PSUDuck1, Jan 10, 2018.

1. PSUDuck1

PSUDuck1 Chieftain

I wanted to put this here because Steam tech support explains the problem. Can anyone provide an easy solution?

Suraj C., Jan 10, 05:35 EST:
    Hey Donald

Thank you for the reply!

I understand that you wish to know if there is a way to play Civilization IV on Windows 10, is that correct?

As previously stated, the CD version of Civilization IV does not work on Windows 10 as the software protection (DRM) included in the CD requires a Microsoft service that has been removed in Windows 10 as it contained a security flaw.

That said, while we do not have an official workaround, as Civilization IV is not officially compatible with Windows 10, there are two options that can allow players to play on Windows 10:

1. The Steam version of Civilization IV does not include the same DRM and can be played on Windows 10. You will have to purchase the Steam version in order to play (http://store.steampowered.com/ , an account is required).

2. The CivFanatics forums (https://forums.civfanatics.com/) are known to have found a few workarounds that allowed players with the CD version of the game to play on Windows 10. However, please understand that these are not officially supported by 2K, and that we are not responsible for any content or files posted on their forums. You will have to do so at your own risk.
    I apologize for now being able to give you a better solution, but I hope that this information may help you find a solution that works for you!

If you have any further 2K related questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us and I'll do my best to assist you further!

Kind regards,

Suraj C.
    2K Support

Donald, Jan 6, 03:48 EST:
    Also, I do not want to play online, I just want to play the game that I own and legally bought. This is terrible service. All you need to do is send me a file to be able to run a CD.

This sucks. I own a legal copy of a game and can not play it. I was moving in June and just now got to sit down and try to play. Is there any way to get the update from another source?

Thanks.

Virus-free. www.avast.com (https://protect-eu.mimecast.com/s/XUr7CG56McOJZG9FYKG58)

Donald, Jan 6, 03:44 EST:
    This sucks. I own a legal copy of a game and can not play it. I was moving in June and just now got to sit down and try to play. Is there any way to get the update from another source?

Thanks.

Virus-free. www.avast.com (https://protect-eu.mimecast.com/s/N6raCE9R0h0WoRqFxo6IN)

Leah L., Jan 5, 19:01 EST:
    Hey there Donald,

Thanks for reaching out to us at 2K Support! We really appreciate it.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues launching Civilization IV, I completely understand your concern! This is occurring, as you have suspected, due to a Windows 10 security update which tells players to run the CD version of Civilization IV as administrator, but this sadly won't work.

It is my sincere regret to inform you that our exchange program for Civilization IV Steam keys, unfortunately, has been discontinued as of 6/4/2017 at 12 AM PST which is announced here: http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005314867-GameSpy-Multiplayer-Exchange-Program-Ending

We apologize for our limited ability to intervene in this matter and sincerely hope that we are able to be of better assistance for you in the future. If you have any other 2K-related questions, please don't hesitate to ask, I'm happy to help you however possible!

Kind regards,

Leah L.
    2K Support

Donald, Jan 4, 23:54 EST:
    I just tried to run my Civ IV CD on my computer that runs windows 10. It installs but it needs an administration login. I believe this is due to a security upgrade and I wanted to know if you have a patch available for this issue. I want to play Civilization IV or Civ IV Gold Edition. Thank You.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Well, the two easiest solutions is to get the Steam version - it does run fine on Win 10. In fact, I recently got it myself for that very reason. Anyway, BTS is the ultimate version of Civ IV and what makes it the greatest game of all time.

With that said, there may be a workaround for the Civ IV disks somewhere. It probably requires some tool and coding. There are threads on the issue in this forum, or you can google it.

3. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Smarticus Pantsidae Moderator

There is no workaround for the disk problem in Windows 10 as far as I know, or have been able to find out. There is one for Windows 7, but Windows 10 lacks the necessary code to make the fix work - thus no fix. The only recourse that you have with Windows 10 is to either make sure that BTS is patched to 3.19 so it won't do the copy protection check (which is the problem), or you can buy the Steam version. Vanilla Civ and Warlords will not run on Windows 10 under any circumstances, except for the Steam versions.

That is based on numerous posts, both here and other gaming forums as not only Civ is affected by this problem.