CIV IV greatest game in history

Greatest Game

• Yes

Votes: 75 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 77 50.7%

• Total voters
In my opininon Civ IV is a brilliant game, but definitely not the best game ever, even in the strategy genre it has massive rivals in the form of Total War, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron etc. And if you look at computer games as a whole, there is the Final Fantasy series, the earlier Command & Conquer games (latest ones don't cut it IMO), countless brilliant FPS's and MMORPG's like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars.

And contrary to popularly held idea that all of human history has been recorded in a reasonable manner much of history has been Disputed Deluded Lost Lied about Never even veiwed in some cases and that is assumeing that this civilization of man is the first time to reach this level of technology or beyond, it would not suprize me if humans once long ago beyond known history Failed to manage this world in a favorable manner and lost most of everything thay had. (so claiming the best in human history is a little more then far fetched)

Sorry, but I've gotta put games like Super Smash Bros Melee, AOE2, Call of Duty 2, (Not three cause it sucked), and Halo 2 and hopefully 3. Its still pretty close maybe the expansion will change my mind.

In my opinion it's not even the greatest Civilization game, so it's fallen short of best ever game by a bit. It's a fun blast, and good to play with friends, but not perfect.

For me the best game i have ever played would be an hard choice between the good old Syndicate from Bullfrog and CIV4 which both i have played for years and in the case of CIV4 i'll play for years.
My answer would be "I am not sure"

Honestly, there are so many great games that I couldn't ever pick one of it as the "truly greatest". Civ4 is fairly high in my list though, certainly in the top 5. And since there are several thousand games in my collection (built from the 70s onwards ;) ), being in the top 5 ought to mean something.

The question's a bit meaningless because there's no consensus on what "greatest" means, so I'm just interpreting it as "is Civ IV your all-time favourite game?", and voting yes. For me, there is plenty of competition, especially from the X-COM series (hugely popular in their time, yet virtually forgotten now, it seems).

Whilst the entire array of the Civilization series is awesome, it's doesn't lay a scratch on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time but does beat Twilight Princess. OoT IS the ultimate game.

greatest computer game? Cmon guys...it's counter strike.

For other things, you gotta say NCAA football, Halo 2, or Fifa soccer

Civ IV is a good game... but there are better games. Warcraft III and Zelda Twilight Princess for example.

@DrewTate: Dude, guy! Have you ever read the webcomic Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

@DrewTate: Dude, guy! Have you ever read the webcomic Ctrl-Alt-Delete?
LoL, my dad is exactly like that guy from ctrl-alt-del. He'll start talking to you about it even while your telling him to shut up about it.

As for the greatest game ever, it is clearly pong. However if this was about favourite game ever... well lets just say ive got too many favourites.

Would you vote CIV IV as the greatest game in all human history (behind Chess, of course). As far as video games, would you?

SAY YES! :goodjob:
Civ 4 the greatest game in human history? No, not even close...
Greatest video game in human history? Again, no, not even close...

Greatest video game with 3d graphics that masqueraded as a "realistic" game, maybe...
but then again, probably not.
The only thing I'd easily grant the Civ franchise the "greatest" title of is the "Greatest Game Design Principle", because a game that "takes a player through human history" is the gratest game design prinicple possible...
at least in theory...

I voted yes for the whole Civ series.
Considering I've been playing it for more than 15 years, I would easily say it has the longest interest-lasting life. Up there with the Heroes of Might and Magic series.
As always, it is very difficult to define what's 'best'.
I know a lot of people disagree but Civ IV is my favorite of the series, I can't remember any game I've played for a longer period of time (Ultima IV maybe... or Civ II of course).
Anyway, that's a trick question.
And I'm surprised by the results.
Bye everyone.

There have been games that at first have been better than civ, however they always get boring, i haven't gone 7 days since getting civ 4 without playing it so
it gets my vote, if only for it's sheer stubborn persistence to stay in my mind!

For me the best game i have ever played would be an hard choice between the good old Syndicate from Bullfrog and CIV4 which both i have played for years and in the case of CIV4 i'll play for years.
My answer would be "I am not sure"

I remember Syndicate. That game was awesome and had unmatched atmosphere. Syndicate Wars was a big let-down. Bullfrog also did another game called 'Dungeon Keeper 2' which is a candidate for best game ever. Thief is another one that had unmatched atmosphere.

No...The greatest game ever is That's So Raven; it teaches little girls how to be b****s and wish they had telepathy

Talking about "video" games only, I have too look at certain aspects to decide what's the best one. Addictivness...do I keep coming back to it? Do I think about it when I'm not playing it? Civ 4 definately has these qualities where Civ 2 and 3 didn't for me (never played the original). Then then time is a factor. Civ 4 hasn't been out as long as a lot of games so I don't know if I'll still be playing it another year.

So, Dungeon Keeper II has to take my vote as the oldest game I've got that I keep going back to. Then Virtual Pool 3 for the same reason, then Half-Life 2 and Civ equal 3rd.

And contrary to popularly held idea that all of human history has been recorded in a reasonable manner much of history has been Disputed Deluded Lost Lied about Never even veiwed in some cases and that is assumeing that this civilization of man is the first time to reach this level of technology or beyond, it would not suprize me if humans once long ago beyond known history Failed to manage this world in a favorable manner and lost most of everything thay had. (so claiming the best in human history is a little more then far fetched)

Ummm what ?

Ohh and no. To be truely great it should be deceptively easy to learn but nigh impossible to master. Civ is not quite there.

I wouldn't go as far as the best game in human history even if just refering to the entire series. As then it has to go up against Final Fantasy, Command and Conquer, Dungeons & Dragons, Halo, and Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six.
15 posts before we hit my argument nr.1: FF!

And definately, I don't understand how more than half of the crowd answers yes. The question is about civ IV, and civ III beats it anytime.
Nah. my list would prolly look like this:
1: Final Fantasy Series
2: Civ Series
3: Blizzard's Warcraft (including WoW, of which I've been addicted for like 1½ year - but I quit! I have only playd it once for maby the last 3-4 months!)
4: AOE series
5: TES series (only tried Morrowind, but it sure did convince me!)

Top Bottom