CIV IV - Happy old timer

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by joasoze, Dec 13, 2005.

1. joasoze

joasoze Warlord

There seems to me like a lot of old timers come to this forum to let of some steam. Civ IV has no soul, its boring, its not like Civ 2/3, the combat system is not realistic ++++ I think these people are under the influence by a heathen religion :p

For people who drop into this forum it must seem like Civ IV is quite a failure :)

I would just like to state that I as an experienced TBS player LOVE Civ IV. My all time favourite is still Master of Orion II, but Civ IV is the first good strategy game that I have played for years. I have been let down by the last versions of RailRoad Tycoon, Master of Orion, Warlords, Heroes of Might and Magic, Battle Isle and I honestly believed that TBS was dead until Civ IV showed up.

Why I like Civ IV

- The combat system is much more interesting without stack of doom. Trying to get the most out of promotions and terrain bonuses in an interesting game within the game
    - The new techtree gives more flexibility than before
    - The different leaders, UU`s and all the options give good replay value
    - I love the barbarians now. They even make their own cities!
    - Different game speeds is great. I only play on epic which suits me
    - More choices for workers makes it more interesting - I control a few workers myself, and the rest are automated. Works very well for me
    ++

What I dont like

- The advisors suck badly
    - A few of the UU`s become obsolete to quickly
    - The research speed it a bit fast even on epic, I would like a super epic speed that was a bit slower than normal epic (this can be modded)
    - Some people have had a LOT of problems even getting the game running - I have not but I do understand that they get VERY upset by this. Bad testing and the release should have been put back a couple of weeks.

All in all I am a happy CIV player (until there is no more room to expand), and I just wanted to tell the community

Ignore my spelling, I am not born in an english CIV

JOA

2. Philips beard

Philips beard Prince

I really agree in every word, CIV 4 is a fantastic add on to the series, and I miss a super epic option too! The problem is I don't trust fan made mods the same way I trust Firaxis to do the job! :goodjob:

3. Doomed_UK

Doomed_UK Warlord

hear hear!

4. Superfly

Superfly Chieftain

I totally agree.

If you want a more epic game, I can highly recommend "jaynus Realism mod" :goodjob: , it can be found in the mod section.
    I'm currently playing a game, so far I've spent approx 25 hours on it, and I'm still in the 1850's. It has been my best civ game ever :D

5. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

6. joasoze

joasoze Warlord

Thanks for the feedback. I have not tried any mods yet, but I will try the one that gives an extended textlog of all events (cant remember the name of the mod), and I think I will try to find a mod that slows down the game slightly without doing much else.

My only problem is that I have a wifey and an infant that is quite demanding attention wise. My baby girl doesnt mind watching tv or civ, but the misses kinda hate it when I leave her for civ more than 30 minutes. Her favourite civic is Slavery :(

7. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Better research democracy soon, so that you can switch to Emancipation soon. Might require a short period of anarchy though unless the two of you are very spiritual. ;)

On topic: Nice to hear that you're enjoying the game. Me too. :) The best thing is that the parts that we don't like can be modded ...

8. schekker

schekker Chieftain

Well, as a real old-timer (you can still find my name in the acknowledgements of the original CIV F.A.Q. ;) ) of the 'boring' camp I can't completely agree of course.

But don't get me wrong, I don't consider civ4 a bad game. I've probably played more than 60 hours of it already, that with a full-time job, a wife and 2 little children. That is more than I played all other computer games combined this year. And yes, I like almost all of the improvements you mention. In fact some of the improvements are so good, going back to civ2 might not even be an option anymore.

My only complaint is that Civ4 lacks the evergreen status the original Civ and Civ2 had for me. I don't see myself firing up Civ4 in half a year or so if I just want to start a leisure gaming session. Even then it is one of the best new games I've played in years and I highly recommend it to others.

9. joasoze

joasoze Warlord

Maybe its because of the fact that the world is not what it used to be. The first two civs were "wonders of the world" Computer gaming (strategy) was new and every quality game was a huge event. We were young and curious :D

Now we are family men (and a few women) that has seen everything before. We are much harder to please. Games now are multimillion dollar business. They cannot afford to take huge risks as making a game is big business. Back in the good old days two friends could make a successful game with some hard work. Now it takes 30-50 people for a couple of years. So the gaming publishers want safe bets. They want safe sequels and copies of other successful games. Well I am ranting here....I should work...

10. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

The "harder to please" factor is definitely true. Most of us "oldtimers" played and loved Civ1. But to be honest, it had an absolutely abysmal AI. However, we didn't care that much because we just liked the game. Also, the internet was in its infancy back then, and any information about the AI's shortcomings took much, much longer to spread.

11. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

I must admit to having whinged in another forum about Civ4 not being as captivating as the earlier versions, but I realised I can only play on small or tiny maps with a maximum of five civs, without CTD or juddering graphics,and this is probably coloring my perception!

Oh to be able to play on a huge map against 18 Civs on Epic!!

CIV ON!

12. joasoze

joasoze Warlord

I have had very few technical issues and can play on any map size I wish. I must be very lucky :)

The only time I get trouble is if I leave the computer without exiting the game over night. Then I have to restart the computer in the morning cause Civ is frozen

Maybe if I trade some luxury resources with my wife, my diplomatic rating will go up and I can play more :) she claims that I owe her a diamond ring for our little girl. Dont know where she gets all this from... If her personality was copied into CIV we would all get our buts whipped :d

13. Jass

Jass Chieftain

^^Someone should mod it

14. SES-Eugene

SES-Eugene Chieftain

I wish they had Civ2 advisor movies in Civ 4, this time in full motion video, "Build CITY WALLS!!!!!!"

15. Roxinante

Roxinante Warlord

"Oh, damn. The computer just built the Bomb. That gives me 20 turns or so before the mushroom clouds start showing up."

And, as an old schooler, I agree with 'bring back the advisors'. I posted a similar wish, and everyone posted 'well, the modern Great Artist looks like Elvis."
    No. Thats not the same, man. Its not the same as The King telling you "We're rockin', yer Magesty, an' we got yew to thank for it." How awesome was that? Thumbs up from an Elvis impersonator! I was genuinly disapointed when I didnt see a single Elvis impersonator when we went to Vegas. I even kinda liked the military advisor, but the others were obnoxious. But Evis, man! Elvis! Its not evolution! Its Elvis-lution!

Anyways, yeah, my posts have been pretty down on the buggy nature of the game. I do expect more now than I did at the first Civ - but 'gig' wasnt in our vocabulary, and 'floppy' was. Go watch "The Last Starfighter" if you want to see state of the art back in the day. No texture rendering, not even bumpmapping. We expect photorealism, we expect bright AIs, we expect to have a hard time thumping on the computer. And not only do we want our cake, but when we eat it, there better not be bugs in it (hows that for a visual?). I'm drooling over CoDII - I mean, Stalingrad in CoD was bad enough, looking up the banks of the Volga at the German machinegun pits and thinking "You want me to go up there? Unarmed?". But now, to march with the Big Red One! Oran to Normandy! Wow!
    But computer games these days are like new model cars or prescription drugs - you need to wait awhile to see if there are any flaws in the design. I didnt wait for the new Civ, and while I like it well enough, I'm angry that it is buggy, that I should have waited. I should have got the thing when the price dropped and there were a few patches out, tested, and confirmed working.
    So, I'll wait until everyone works out the bugs in CoDII, releases the patches, and drops the price to something reasonable. I'm happy to pay 50$ for a game that works right, out of the box. I'll accept bugs for a cheaper price.

16. DraconisRex

DraconisRex Chieftain

I really like it, though I am tired of the Aztecs...

17. 7th Circle

7th Circle Chieftain

I'm another old timer who is rather impressed with civ 4. To be honest, I wasn't really impressed with civ 3 and I actually find that civ 4 seems closer in spirit to civ 1 than civ 3 did but maybe that's just me.

I should say that, while I haven't been affected by them much (mainly just slowdowns in huge maps), the technical issues are a little disappointing. Do I have minor points of contention with civ 4? Sure, several but I think that overall this is a very enjoyable game.

Yeah, they were great. :)

18. joasoze

joasoze Warlord

I think that CIV IV is a very good game, but there could be an addon/expansion pack that would make it legendary. I want more techs, UU`s, new resources, better diplomacy, improved AI,better advisors+++ All this should be fairly easy to do and would add a lot to the game.

19. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

Have you tried Harkonnen's inofficial mem-fix in the mod-section?? It is awesome! I had no problems before but many who had reported amazing results!!

On topic: I'm 32 and played civ form civ 1 all the way through to civ 4. So I assume I'm an oldtimer, too :cry: ;)

Civ4 takes some time to get used to when you come from the other versions but recently I found myself checking the watch after "a few turns" :rolleyes: and saw it was already 2 a.m. (that was on a tuesday! :eek: ) .
    So there definitely IS a lot of addiction in the game and JOMT is as good as ever! The new eyecatchers were good to look at in the start but after a while the game itself has to prove its quality. It does, I think! I would be heavily surprised if I wouldn't play civ4 alot until... Well, until civ5 comes out ;)

Stilgar

20. random11

random11 Chieftain

Few advantages and disadvantages to add:

- The combat system is more interesting and complex, and I see it as a great improvement. But it comes with a price of being very complicated and hard to understand.
    I'm guessing most of you here read the article about the combat result chances calculation? The fact that you need to consult a manual or an article just to translate the ratio into real numbers that means something (your chances to win) is definately a problem.

- Don't forget the modding in the game! the fact that you can practicly change anything you want (or find someone that will do for you) is a great advantage compared to other CIV games and even most other strategy games.