Civ IV HOF Update Discussion Thread

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
The Civilization IV Hall of Fame has been updated - 13 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to @Anysense for the highest score of the update with a Large, Normal, Deity, Space Colony game for 510,358 points.

@enKage was the most active player during this update, submitting 5 games.

Only 2 players were brave enough to take on Deity this update:

@Anysense - 820 AD, Standard, Normal, Deity, Conquest game for 428,025 points.
@Anysense - 1380 AD, Large, Normal, Deity, Space Colony game for 510,358 points.
@Pedro78 - 2240 BC, Duel, Normal, Deity, Conquest game for 40,407 points.
The Beta Hall of Fame has also been updated, 4 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to @Swordnboard for the highest score of the Beta update with a Standard, Quick, Monarch, Conquest game for 189,876 points.
Congratulations to swordnboard for winning G-Minor 230 with a stunning date.

Rank | Player | Date | Score
1| @Swordnboard |1990 BC|86,088
2| @Chaosquo |1500 BC|83,534
3| @Lazybones|1380 BC|99,423

** New Gauntlet Starting **

G-Minor 231 - Religious, Monarch, Ancient, Tiny, Normal, Pangaea, (check options)

Last edited:
New Number One Entries:
A number of players gained number one positions:

@Anysense with a 1380 AD, Large, Normal, Deity, Space Colony game for 510,358 points.
@Anysense with a 820 AD, Standard, Normal, Deity, Conquest game for 428,025 points.

@Noble Zarkon with a 1880 AD, Tiny, Quick, Warlord, Espionage game for 6,613 points.

@Tonny with a 660 AD, Standard, Normal, Settler, Espionage game for 81,862 points.

A number of players gained a composite table High Score (i.e. Any Condition):

@Anysense with a 1380 AD, Large, Normal, Deity, game for 510,358 points.

Really nice work @Anysense! First normal speed Space Colony to beat the fastest normal speed Space Race! :goodjob: Overall nice to see you put some stronger normal speed games into the tables. It's always felt to me like many of those slots deserve better dates, compared to the high quality of marathon submissions.

Just following your advice @elitetroops, conquer more earlier. Snaaty's 20 cities by 1AD benchmark seemed unreachable on Deity, but it turned out to be beatable. Was quite shocked to have 24 cities instead of planned 20 myself. I wonder if I could have done better with war chariots or immortals. Praetorians come later but they are really strong and have unusually wide opportunity window.

24 cities by 1 AD is quite spectacular, indeed! Seems you still libbed MT.. Do you think there could be any way around that? Continue war with trebs and stuff and save lib for something better?

I notice you used corps, but founded sushi about 20 turns pre launch and only spread it to about a dozen cities before spaceship was built. I'm no expert on corps, do you feel sushi was worth it?

Joao forced me to Lib MT. That was quite a detour as I was aiming at Mining first. I could Lib Chemistry but thought that immediate gaing from strong gunpowder unit was better:undecide:
Then I still had to capture MoM. Cathy built it and of course: hill, citadel, ~20 defenders. She was at war pretty much all the game and kept spamming units. The biggest mistake was not using espionage properly. With all those EP's from early courthouses I could use revolts in some of the more troublesome cities.
Founded Sushi just to experiment a bit, see how it works. I'm not sure it is worth it on Normal speed. Can it pay back over 25 turns till launch? I suppose it can, but isn't it better to use those hammers to settle more cities and spread Mining? I was just below 39% land on the launch turn while the limit was 51%. Plenty of room for expansion.

Only 2 players were brave enough to take on Deity this update:
@Pedro78 - 2240 BC, Duel, Normal, Deity, Conquest game for 40,407 points.
Was a 10min test game to see if my settings were appropriate, happy to get an award for that ;)
Kinda feel like playing some space races in the near future but I don't have the motivation to play very long games on random maps.

@Anysense congrats, that was a nice game!

Congratulations to swordnboard for winning G-Minor 230 with a stunning date.

I played the heck out of G-Minor 230, but I couldn't get a good end-date, and never finished any of my games. (I was seeing how good I could get on Normal... I could only occasionally defeat one AI before my chariots ran out of steam, and never got more than one.)

I think I have a final argument against Sushi on Normal speed. You simply don't need it. Mining alone was enough to on-turn last 11 techs. The only thing that matters is when you get there, and I doubt that Sushi can help with that. Better to focus on spreading Mining and settling more cities earlier. That would help to get to one-turning big terchs faster.
I suppose its different on Epic/Marathon, where you need a lot more bpt and have more time, but on Normal Sushi seems to be more of a distraction.

I'm pretty sure that Sushi + STRIKE beats everything as you get to the point where you 1-turn techs much earlier. Could probably do something like T140 Mining, T145 Sushi & T170-175 launch on a B&S map. Will require a lot of planning for bulbs & Caste/Slavery windows though. I'm working on a game-plan for that, stuck with finding the best leader at the moment -- it doesn't seem like there is an alternative to the Inca on Normal speed. Might give it a try with Joao on a Tiny map at first.

With Sushi+Kremlin you can whip Factories&Coal plants while growing at 1pop per turn and work only workshops, that's a huge advantage. STRIKE is also pretty cheap on Normal, as only ~20T of it will be needed.

I'm not sure Strike economy is good or even possible on normal speed. Commerce brings 6939-3743=3196:science: per turn, while my total expenses are only 3279:gold: per turn. At 0% science my gpt is +2396, but I'm building 2130:gold: at the moment. Even if I was building research everywhere my gpt would still be positive 2396-2130=266. That is I can't enter permanent strike at all!
It would be possible without courthouses, Wall Street and banks, but does it make sense? Beakers from :commerce: outhweigh :science: I could have in Strike from extra build research instead of build wealth by about 1000. Obviously, you'll have to do everything in entirely different way to make Strike work, then you might be able to reach critical bpt sooner.
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0184.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0185.JPG

Basically when not going for STRIKE, you "waste" thousands of early(ish) hammers on Courthouses & Banks. Without Sushi you are also working tons of "bad" tiles, which includes every single farm & coastal tile. With Sushi+Mining everywhere & no courthouses, you'd be bleeding at least 15Kgpt on a B&S map, and commerce becomes irrelevant. But STRIKE is indeed totally irrelevant when you only get Mining.

I believe that if you have get Mining on turn T, Sushi @T+5 and AL @T+10, you'll be able to one-turn every tech starting from T+15. The question is: how early can one reach turn T on normal speed? I'm sure T130 is possible under perfect conditions. I'll first aim for T140-145 and then see what can be improved -- never played that kind of game before.

Top Bottom