Civ IV is #3 on IGN's top 10 list

The list is decent but having Resident Evil at number two, let alone even being on the list is kind of ridiculous.

No game is more informative then CIV IV, and I can agree with most of the list as they all do teach you except Resident Evil. Seriously, it teaches you how to survive a zombie apocalypse, knowledge you can really use!

A game is not about what it teaches you Eternalsteelfan

Lord Olleus said:
A game is not about what it teaches you Eternalsteelfan

This list is about games that teach.

Yeah, for the sake of this list, they're talking about the most educational games. I have to say, Civ taught me a little bit -- but now that I'm older, I realize there's a LOT of things that Civ is inaccurate on. It can be frustrating for me now, but I recognize it's just a game.

I heard about one kid who answered incorrectly that Buddhism was founded around 1000 BC (the right answer was Judaism). He really thought Buddhism came before Judaism (after all, Meditation comes around the same time as Polytheism, and Monotheism comes significantly after!)

gunkulator said:
Top 10 games that teach you something.. I don't know how serious the list is since Resident Evil and something called Dance Dance Revolution are there too.

DDR does provide a decent aerobic exercise. Resident Evil is a weird choice.

The educational value of a game really depends on who plays it. My English vocabulary improved a lot when I played the Ultima series and Wizardry series when I was still a kid.

Civ IV has taught me a lot by making me more interested in certain subjects to the point that I read up on them. The other day I took an interest in Hannibal and the city of Carthage, so I read up on it and learned how Carthage was a Phoenecian settlement in present day Tunisia. The word Carthage itself means New City in Phoenecian and several settlements were given this name. Had Hannibal not stalled in his invasion into Italy he might have captured Rome, and Western Civ might be a lot different today. There's obviously more, but that's just an idea of what Civ makes you do.

Does it teach you these things? Of course not, but how many games do really?

I'm thinking that the Resident Evil has to be a prank, or otherwise they've been made significantly dumber from playing too many video games.

And as far as education goes, these games are a far cry from being truely educational.

Civ IV's civilopedia is a far cry from Civ II's. Even after dozens of games, I would occasionally read the descriptions of a new tech or wonder...those, IMHO, were indeed educational.

whoops sorry. I didn't read the first post properly.

Top Bottom