[GS] Civ IV Leader Traits In Civ VI (Request/Idea)

Wolfmaster

Chieftain
Coming from playing Civ V with mods, I really fell in love with the Civ IV Leader Traits mod by Bingles, but so far I haven't really found anything like it available for Civ VI, which feels like a pretty huge missed opportunity. Since Civ VI functions pretty different compared to Civ V, I created my own versions of the same traits from that mod. I've tried messing around with ModBuddy, but honestly I don't have much talent for it. That being said, I thought I'd still go ahead and post what I've come up with, just in case someone who does have modding talent sees it!

I'd love to hear any feedback on these traits in terms of balance and flavor! And please let me know if you decide to create a mod like this, I'd love to try it out.

Aggressive - Military land units start with a free promotion. +30% Production towards Encampment districts and buildings.

Charismatic - +1 Amenity for each specialty district in a city. Happy and Ecstatic city benefits are doubled. +30% Production towards Entertainment Complex and Water Park districts, and the buildings for these districts.

Creative - +0.3 Culture in each city per Population. +2 Culture from Great Works. +30% Production towards Theatre Square districts and buildings.

Diplomatic - +1 Diplomatic Favor and +1 Influence points per turn, doubling after unlocking Currency, and tripling after unlocking Printing. +100% Alliance Points from trading with allies. +30% Production towards the Diplomatic Quarter district and buildings for it.

Expansive - Founded cities start with +1 Population. +2 Food and +1 Housing in each city. +30% Production towards Aqueducts and Neighborhoods.

Financial - +1 Gold from tile improvements. +30% Production towards Commercial Hub districts and buildings.

Imperialistic - Unit maintenance reduced by 1 Gold per turn, per unit. +2 Loyalty and +1 Amenity for cities with a garrisoned unit. +30% Production towards the Government Plaza district and buildings for it.

Industrious - +1 Production from Mines and Quarries. +1 Movement for Builders. +30% Production towards Industrial Zone districts and buildings.

Inventive - Industrial Zone districts provide Science equal to their Production bonus. +30% Production towards Campus districts and buildings.

Mercantile - +3 Gold, +1 Food, and +1 Production from Trade Routes. +1 Trade Route capacity whenever you enter a new era. +30% Production towards Traders.

Philosophical - Specialty districts provide +1 Culture, +1 Faith, and +1 Great Person points of their type. Patronage of Great People costs 20% less.

Protective - All units gain +5 Combat Strength when fighting in or adjacent to their home territory. +50% Production towards defensive buildings.

Seafaring - +1 Food and +1 Production from coastal tiles. Military sea units start with a free promotion. +30% Production towards Harbor districts and buildings.

Spiritual - +0.3 Faith in each city per Population. +2 Faith from Relics. +30% Production towards Holy Site districts and buildings.

Those are translations of the traits from the Civ5 mod? Several of these do not actually exist in Civ4 and others do not match the existing traits well. For instance, the main feature of the Imperialistic trait in Civ4 is its bonus to settler production.

Those are translations of the traits from the Civ5 mod? Several of these do not actually exist in Civ4 and others do not match the existing traits well. For instance, the main feature of the Imperialistic trait in Civ4 is its bonus to settler production.

I'm glad you asked. These aren't direct translations of Civ IV traits, no. I adjusted the purview and goals of some of the traits a bit to make them stand out a bit more from each other, and also partly just because Civ IV worked a lot differently from Civ VI, and didn't translate well. I mostly used the Civ IV Traits In Civ V by Bingles as a point of reference, where Imperialistic was much more militarily oriented, and focused on Great Generals/Admirals and keeping conquered cities happy.

Finally got some time to flesh out who gets what traits, so here it is. Let me know if there's any duplicates or if you disagree with my choices. I tried to go for a balance of leader flavor, civ flavor, and genuine gameplan buffs.

Leader Traits

Alexander (Aggressive/Imperialistic)
Amanitore (Industrious/Protective)
Ambiorix (Aggressive/Creative)
Ba Trieu (Creative/Protective)
Basil II (Imperialistic/Spiritual)
Catherine (Creative/Diplomatic)
Chandragupta (Charismatic/Spiritual)
Cleopatra (Diplomatic/Mercantile)
Cyrus (Aggressive/Mercantile)
Dido (Expansive/Seafaring)
Eleanor (Creative/Philosophical)
Frederick (Imperialistic/Industrious)
Ghandi (Philosophical/Spiritual)
Genghis Khan (Aggressive/Mercantile)
Gilgamesh (Aggressive/Charismatic)
Gitarja (Seafaring/Spiritual)
Gorgo (Aggressive/Philosophical)
Hammurabi (Inventive/Philosophical)
Harald (Aggressive/Seafaring)
Hojo (Philosophical/Seafaring)
Jadwiga (Aggressive/Spiritual)
Jayavarman (Expansive/Spiritual)
Joao III (Financial/Mercantile)
John Curtin (Diplomatic/Financial)
Kristina (Inventive/Philosophical)
Kublai Khan (Imperialistic/Mercantile)
Kupe (Creative/Seafaring)
Lady Six Sky (Expansive/Financial)
Lautaro (Creative/Imperialistic)
Mansa Musa (Financial/Spiritual)
Matthias (Aggressive/Diplomatic)
Menelik II (Financial/Spiritual)
Montezuma (Aggressive/Spiritual)
Mvemba (Creative/Expansive)
Pachacuti (Financial/Protective)
Pedro II (Charismatic/Philosophical)
Pericles (Diplomatic/Philosophical)
Peter (Expansive/Imperialistic)
Philip II (Imperialistic/Seafaring)
Poundmaker (Diplomatic/Mercantile)
Qin Shi Huang (Industrious/Inventive)
Robert (Charismatic/Protective)
Saladin (Inventive/Spiritual)
Seondeok (Inventive/Creative)
Shaka (Aggressive/Expansive)
Simon Bolivar (Aggressive/Protective)
Suleiman (Charismatic/Imperialistic)
Tamar (Protective/Spiritual)
Teddy (Charismatic/Diplomatic)
Tomyris (Expansive/Protective)
Trajan (Expansive/Imperialistic)
Victoria (Industrious/Seafaring)
Wilfrid (Diplomatic/Financial)
Wilhelmina (Mercantile/Seafaring)

I came back and made quite a few revisions to my original ideas, mostly by simplifying how many of the traits work, and tying most bonuses to districts. I think doing this is a pretty decent buff to tall play while still allowing most civs to utilize their traits fully. I've also redone some of the leader traits, removing all duplicates (as far as I can tell) and switching around a few. This is probably the last update I do on this idea unless I figure out how to make it myself. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Militaristic - Military land units start with a free promotion. +30% Production towards Encampment districts and buildings.

Charismatic - +1 Amenity from each Entertainment Complex and Water Park district and the buildings for these districts. Happy and Ecstatic city benefits are doubled. +30% Production towards Entertainment Complex and Water Park districts, and the buildings for these districts.

Creative - Specialty districts provide +1 Culture. +1 Culture in each city. +30% Production towards Theatre Square districts and buildings.

Diplomatic - +1 Diplomatic Favor and +1 Influence points per turn, doubling after unlocking Mathematics, and tripling after unlocking Printing. +100% Alliance Points. +30% Production towards the Diplomatic Quarter district and buildings for it.

Expansive - Founded cities start with +1 Population, +3 Food, and +1 Housing. Completing a specialty district expands the city's borders by one tile. +30% Production towards Aqueducts and Neighborhoods.

Financial - Specialty districts provide +2 Gold. +2 Gold in each city. +30% Production towards Commercial Hub districts and buildings.

Imperialistic - Unit maintenance reduced by 2 Gold per turn, per unit. +2 Loyalty and +1 Amenity for cities with a garrisoned unit. +30% Production towards the Government Plaza district and buildings for it.

Industrious - Specialty districts provide +1 Production. +1 Production in each city. +30% Production towards Industrial Zone districts and buildings.

Inventive - Specialty districts provide +1 Science. +1 Science in each city. +30% Production towards Campus districts and buildings.

Mercantile - +3 Gold, +1 Food, and +1 Production from Trade Routes. +1 Trade Route capacity whenever you enter a new era. +30% Production towards Traders.

Philosophical - Specialty districts provide +1 Great Person Points of their type. Earning a Great Scientist, Great Merchant, or Great Engineer grants a free Eureka. Earning a Great Prophet, Great Artist, Great Writer, or Great Musician grants a free Inspiration.

Protective - All units gain +5 Combat Strength when fighting in or adjacent to their home territory. Defensive buildings provide +2 Production. +30% Production towards defensive buildings.

Seafaring - +1 Food and +1 Production from coastal tiles. Military sea units start with a free promotion. +30% Production towards Harbor districts and buildings.

Spiritual - Specialty districts provide +1 Faith. +1 Faith in each city. +30% Production towards Holy Site districts and buildings.

Leader Traits
Alexander (Aggressive/Imperialistic)
Amanitore (Industrious/Protective)
Ambiorix (Aggressive/Creative)
Ba Trieu (Creative/Protective)
Basil II (Imperialistic/Spiritual)
Catherine (Creative/Diplomatic)
Chandragupta (Charismatic/Spiritual)
Cleopatra (Industrious/Mercantile)
Cyrus (Aggressive/Financial)
Dido (Expansive/Seafaring)
Eleanor (Creative/Philosophical)