CIV IV makes Civ III look like "Oregon Trail"

jedimogg

Chieftain
Civ IV is great. Its a complete rebirth and its amazing. I think people need to let go of CIV III and approach CIV IV with an open mind. I'm amazed by how many people sound like old fogey's with their "its new and scary"'sand "back in the day CIV III was the greatest". Let go and give it a chance.

Also, since Nimoy is on board, i think there should be a stone cutter's city improvement, which then evolves into a "no homer's" club. perhaps a mod.

Oregon Trail is an old education game that was extremely fun dispite it's being an educational game. It was basicly, you were pioneers and you had to get from St Lewis to Oregon before the winter.

It was popular in school computer labs. The best part was you could name your characters. I would always name them after other schoolmembers and when the character died I would laugh and point at the person, who would then begin to cry. (we were all like 6 years old lol)

Dagoth Ur that was a great description (except St Louis). I remember playing for computer class all the time on the old Macs. Another classic educational fun game was "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?"
Urederra must be a young'un. LOL, Oregon Trail's graphics will make you appreciate Civ 4 ALOT.

jedimogg said:
Also, since Nimoy is on board, i think there should be a stone cutter's city improvement, which then evolves into a "no homer's" club. perhaps a mod.

Except you'd need Patrick Stewart for that.

ZubieMaster said:
The big question is, how many can remember playing Oregon Trail on the Apple ][?

Remember it? How else would I have spent my time in junior high? Of course, I mixed in a little Carmen Sandiego for flavor.

Why exactly are we suppose to "let go" of prior Civ games ??? Isn't that what made us "Civfanatics" to begin with ??? :D
Anyway,, you CAN like Civ 4 but just don't like a prior version better ???
.. Just because something is NEW and shiny does not make it better made, and not only in games..

I still have my old apple IIe. I still have the Oregon Trail game too. Hmmmm, wonder if it still works. *Goes digging in the basement.*

Wow, "Millionare", "Witness", "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego", LOL!!! "Bank Street Writer", a ton of old Sesame Street games, I can't believe I still have this stuff.

You guys are making me teary-eyed for my old Apple IIe! I had one through high school, complete with the always stylish green-and-black monochrome text monitor. Back when you *had* to use imbedded print commands so AppleWriter would justify your text or tell your dot-matrix to print in bold...

(and I'm not all that old...)

Apple IIe -- I was a Karateka man, myself :D

I remember playing a game called "crosscountry canada" in school computer labs, you were a trucker, and you picked up and delivered commodities across canada...I remember running out of gas a lot :) It was fun tho.

Oregon Trail had AWESOME graphics, I don't know what you're talking about, I thought those buffalo were REAL, man.

But yea, Alpha Centari still has its charms, but Civ4 makes Civ3 look like a paper mache rendition of history.

Top Bottom