Civ IV MOD Chooser Tool

Jorgen_CAB

Warlord
UPDATE to 1.0

I have made a small tool for quickly choose which mod you want to play without the need to manually go into you ini file and change it.

It might behave strangely on some machines, I have tested it on English Windows XP operating system but other XP or 2000 machines should work.

You will ned .NET framework 1.1 to run this tool, you can find that on Microsoft Updates or on this link.www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

I have now bundled it as a .msi file, so you only need to install it. You need to unzip the file first.
Preferably you should install it in the same folder as CivilizationIV main install folder.

It should look like the .jpg picture attached below...

Report any problem here and I will se what I can do about it.

Revision 1.0
* This version will see all mods, both in CivIV install and user folders.
* You can now browse for the folders.
* The folder path you choose is saved until the next time you launch the tool.

Revision 0.20
* Fixed - Problem with Original version of CivIV not launching correctly.

Attachments

• CivIVMODStarter.jpg
    CivIVMODStarter.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 4,263
  • Civ IV MOD Starter.zip
    186 KB · Views: 9,307
Looks nice. If I'm right, it saves the time and work of selecting a mod and then restarting the game?

Yes it will, it scans what mods you have installed and then launches the mod you chose when you hit START. As simple as that.

No I would not mind, you may use it and distribute it as you wish.

If you find any problem with it though, report them back to me and I will fix it.

The only problem I've found was that if you don't have civ in the registry, the program doesn't save the paths if you write them manually. Perhaps it could do this?

Also, if you have the Harkonnen mod installed, it wont start the game (some error about the harkonnen.ini)

But both are very small things, great tool otherwise!

The program will start the game with Harkonnens memoryfix if you place the modchoser tool in the same folder as CivIV game folder.

I will fix it so that you can save the path... I will update the program as soon as I can.

This is nice, but can't you add browse buttons to find the mod folder and such? I don't like typing in paths.

Likewise, when I did type in my mod location (which, btw, there are TWO) the mods didn't refresh, so a refresh option on the mod list or 'apply' button or something would be useful.

MOD locations can be found in the program install location and the my documents/my games/etc etc/MODS

Kolyana said:
This is nice, but can't you add browse buttons to find the mod folder and such? I don't like typing in paths.

Likewise, when I did type in my mod location (which, btw, there are TWO) the mods didn't refresh, so a refresh option on the mod list or 'apply' button or something would be useful.

MOD locations can be found in the program install location and the my documents/my games/etc etc/MODS

I will fix this in the next version of the tool.. will take a little longer with all the busy days ahead.

Looks very simple, practical, and helpful! I'll have to give this a try!

If you're using windows, and you keep it even remotely up to date, it should have been installed automatically in an update. .NET is a very handy development platform. Although the Mono project is far from perfect as far as providing cross-platform support, it's still pretty good and supports a lot of it.

It is much easier to use the .NET, I will not have time doing it with regular VB or C++. so you will have to use the .NET for this tool.

As Stated earlier, it is very easy to get from Windows Update or download it elsewere if you like, it only take a minute or two to install it.

It's really a useful program, but when I play the normal game, or load the game without a mod from your program (Civ IV-Normal), It says the mod was not found and ignores it, loading the normal game. Although this isn't a big deal, it's a bit annoying. However, if you just changed the preset option "Civ IV-Normal" to "None", it would work just fine.

Robo Magic Man said:
It's really a useful program, but when I play the normal game, or load the game without a mod from your program (Civ IV-Normal), It says the mod was not found and ignores it, loading the normal game. Although this isn't a big deal, it's a bit annoying. However, if you just changed the preset option "Civ IV-Normal" to "None", it would work just fine.

I will fix that problem for you as soon as I can, probably next week or so.

Top Bottom