Civ IV Mod manager

croxis

Chat room op
Over the past few weeks we've gotten quite a few people in the chatroom asking how to install a mod. I know some mod makers create there own installation files, but many mods are just zips and people have no idea what to do with them (and they all lack readmes or install files). Do you guys think it would be useful if I made a mod manager, which not only has its own package system, but can figure out how to install many of the zip downloads?

I've created a prototype of the mod manager. Right now the only useful thing is that it scans the installed mods. There are numerous bugs, including in the gui (the most obvious can be fixed just by resizing the window a little). http://croxis.dyndns.org:10101/files/civmm/CIVMM.7z

Go croxis! It's almost ya birthday in a few months!

But yea, this has been really needed, so many people come in the chat room asking about mods and how to install them.

New version is uploaded to the same link. This is still the prototype and is feature incomplete. I still have the gui bug where you have to resize the window for the mod list to fill the window. However it will package any installed mod for distribution.

Select the mod from the list.
Open the Mod menu and select Package.
Follow instructions in the wizard (Ignore the compatibility screen, that feature is not implemented yet)
You will get a .civmod file at the location you told to save at. This is just a 7z file, so you can open it with any manager that can handle 7z.

Known Bugs:
1) Resize issue
2) Help/About will exit the program (already fixed for next version)
3) Hitting cancel in the wizard will not work. (Will require some rework of the wizard code, which is needed anyways because it is a MESS)

Next steps:
* Being able to install said packages. Fix Bug 2. (Version 0.2)
* Install most zip, rar, or 7z mods. Fix bug 3 (Version 0.4)
* Version compatibility check (Version 0.6)
* Fix that bloody resize gui bug 1. (Version 1.0)

Source code available upon request.

Feature requests welcome.

A definite good idea. Should help all the people with mod installation questions. And keep them from getting rude when no one can help them...

Quick little update. The 7z library I am using is broken, so I'm doing a quick rewrite to use zip files as the package format instead. This saddens me as 7z offers much better compression. The package will have the standard .zip extension so those who know what they are doing can use it easy without the mod manager program.

Version 0.2 is available. It can package mods and install them: http://croxis.dyndns.org:10101/files/civmm/CIVMM.7z

Known Bugs:
1) Resize issue
X) Help/About will exit the program (Fixed)
3) Hitting cancel in the wizard will not work. (Will require some rework of the wizard code, which is needed anyways because it is a MESS)

Next steps:
* Install most zip, rar, or 7z mods. Fix bug 3 (Version 0.4)
* Version compatibility check (Version 0.6)
* Fix that bloody resize gui bug 1. (Version 1.0)

Croxis

Yes I could really use a Mod Manager for Civ 5 . Ive been playing Civ 5 with a few mods and had a great time and played a few great games. Now im ready to change and by getting rid of the old mods I have messed up my Civ 5 Install so there goes another 4 hrs to reinstall it.
Please Please Please make a Mod Manager for Civ 5 Thank You Foriener4:goodjob:

Top Bottom