1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ IV on Console (XBOX 360 / PS3) ....

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by agoodfella, Oct 11, 2005.

1. agoodfella

agoodfella Prince

It occured to me that with all of these threads about:

- Game graphics
    - PC system requirements
    - Can your system handle Civ?

etc, it just hit me that this is exactly why XBOX / PS3 dominance in the video gaming market will continue unabated...

I mean there was a time when die hard PC gaming purists turned up their collective noses at console gaming - citing the lack of graphic capabilities / speed / etc.

But with the advent of the "next generation" systems - XBOX 360 and PS3, it's hard to argue this now.

I mean why pay for a $3-4,000 system when for the money you can buy every single next generation console with plenty left over for accessories and games aplenty PLUS money left in the bank?

Further, how many people actually maintain systems that keep apace with technology that will actually run the PC games coming out nowadays? I mean, why not just "upgrade" one time (i.e. the next generation consoles) and defer any worrying about "compatibility / system requirement" issues for at least 5 years? Remember that the PS2 came out in 2000 and it is STILL going strong AND will continue being played well into 2006 - that's 6 full years of solid gaming on 1 system! - think about what a dinasoar you'd have if you bought your PC in 2000 and tried to play a game coming out in 2006 - no way no how... (and forget about a laptop)

At any rate I digress... Back to Civ... I mean with Pirates! already out on console, why wouldn't Firaxis want to stretch their revenue $$$ by targeting a much larger audience = i.e. console systems?

Thoughts?

2. agoodfella

agoodfella Prince

anyone? ....

3. wenamon

wenamon Warlord

I guess it would be possible, but only if the consoles had good keyboards and a mouse (whichI guess they will if they are going to have all this online play)
    if so Im all for it.

4. Jecrell

Jecrell Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5

If you ask me, the Nintendo Revolution would be the ideal console for Civ IV development because it uses a remote control device which can emulate the same functions as a mouse on the computer.

I think it's a bit biased to post PS3/Xbox 360 for Civ IV on the consoles without including the Revolution (maybe that's because I'm into marketing research and wrote a speech on it)...

Anyway the PS3/Xbox 360 developers are obsessed with million dollar game projects that are gambles. Hardcore gamers will buy the games based on the titles and the hype, but the casual gamer has to be sucked into the hype or directed to it somehow by advertising/friends. Also if they don't have the console, it is very unlikely they will purchase a console just to play a single game. After all, that's what hardcore gamers do.

... Oh and... next gen consoles (Xbox360 and PS3) cost $400 plus tax, plus games, plus tax on games, plus attachments, plus tax on attachments, and with online fees.... plus tax. It's a bit cheaper than a PC system, but a PC is built differently than a console. So not only do you get to play your games on the PC with better graphics, but you can do your office work, perform effective communications, and exchange files (MODS). I mean, come on, Civ IV on the Xbox360 wouldn't be so great if you couldn't mod it.

5. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Be that as it may, Jecrell, that is not an argument against running Civ4 on a console. One doesn't exclude the other. I'm not intimitely familiar with the way a console game should be coded / created, but I don't see any principle objections against the ability to run Civ4 on a console. Whether the developers / marketeers find it worthy of their effort to bring it on the console is another matter. In that sense the console market seems to be a different market geared towards sports, arcade and violence. So indeed, maybe they don't think the audience is sufficiently interested to warrant the effort. But as to the original question, technically I think it's quite possible.

Btw, what's your beef with taxes?

6. Tombfyre_04

Tombfyre_04 Chieftain

TVs still don't put out the resolutions we can hit with PCs - I seriously don't see consoles ever doing real time strategy or TBS.. or even FPS very well. Using a mouse\keyboard sitting a couple meters away from the tv.. makes it fell ... disjointed.

and thumbs are not responsive enough for fine tuning :) .... The Revolution controller... while "neat" really is limited to certain types of functionality... I don't see it controlling a game like civ very well... you would have to point it around.. your arm would tire. :)

7. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Well, Shattered Union is coming out for the X-Box and it's an old school TBS with fancy graphics, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a version of Civ on a console someday (especially since the Gamebryo engine supports it). I haven't heard that they are actually planning it, though.

8. agoodfella

agoodfella Prince

If it's a matter of keyboard / mouse attachments, I'm sure that the Next Gen consoles will be incorporating them...

I just don't see why Civ IV can't be ported over to the consoles... noone seems to have come up with a good enough reason...

Further, with Pirates out on console, it doesn't seem like it would be such a huge jump for Civ IV to do so...

9. Tombfyre_04

Tombfyre_04 Chieftain

Pirates was a different type of game... the whole game was played using like.. 9 keys... Civ... in those Apolyton Previews... buddy says theres 100 Shortcuts.

So you would need a keyboard - my complaint about this is using a keyboard while sitting 3-3.5 meters away on a couch from a proper HDTV (because it would be too low res otherwise) would be awkward and just wouldn't be a good way to play some types of games :)

10. dannyevilcat

dannyevilcat DESTROYER OF FURNITURE

Why would I want to be stuck with a system that uses the same hardware for 4-5 years?
    My current PC has basically the same video card as a PS3 will have, and in a year or two, I'll upgrade and have a better gaming system while the consoles gets left behind until the next generation comes out.

11. Chaos_BF1942

Chaos_BF1942 Prince

I wouldn't mind to see Civ on the DS. Sure it may not have the graphics, but those two screens can be cool. Like Top screen is the world map, bottom screen is the menus, and city screens. Plus you can take it pretty much anywhere.

12. Rayanth

Rayanth Prince

You need a reason not to put civ3 on x360? Simple. Licensing fees. Stringent requirements... and an as-yet uncertain future for the console.

If you've looked at the games coming out on X360, you may have noticed that almost all of them are $59.99 instead of the $49.99 we're used to seeing. some LE versions are $69.99! The exception is Microsoft-published titles, which are still $49.99 ...

This is because Microsoft has strict requirements on X360 games. All games must support 720p HDTV, all games must support XBox live, all games must operate with or without the hard drive, all games must support the custom soundtracks feature... And Microsoft has to make sure everyone's meeting this standard, so they're charging a Licensing Fee on top of it - every developer (except microsoft themselves) must pay a royalty to Microsoft to publish an XBox 360 game... it's similar to the Windows Logo Certification Program... in order to get the windows logo on your PC Game, you have to pay a royalty and have it tested.

PS3 is simply too far off in the distance to even consider, right now... we still dunno what hardware it will have, and the processor architecture is entirely different... Civ3 would almost have to be rewritten from the ground up, from what I've heard of the new architecture...

13. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

You don't need that expensive a computer to play the newest games. I am still using my computer from 3 years ago, after CPU and graphics card upgrade, I can play the latest games (Civ4 included) fine. :)

Personally I like to play games on the PC more because of the modding potential and sharing of screenshots. You can't do that easily with console games. It's also extremely convenient and you can launch a game anytime, after some internet surfing or doing some work on the computer.

14. garric

garric Emperor

I play PC games because I like PC games. Consoles are cheaper - but you get what you pay for. Civ 4 on a console? Have fun sitting on your couch with a controller trying to check your civics menu and move around units. A mouse and keyboard for the XBOX? Sure, but how are you going to do that at your couch? Move it to your desk on your LCD screen? What do we have here fellas? A watered down PC that you can't upgrade? Hell, I'd rather pay $800 for a good gaming PC than $400 for a piece of crap I can't do much with, not to mention pay money just to play Halo online (I've been playing FPS games online for free since I can remember.).

15. holy king

holy king Deity

cool down....
    this is about pcs and consoles, you know?

16. Feeroper

Feeroper Chieftain

While consoles certainly have staying power, there are just some games that cannot be effectively done on one. Civ is a good example, much easier on a PC. Same goes for pretty much anything in the RTS genre, or anything strategy related.

However, if there were a civ game created specifically for consoles from the ground up, I think there would be some success. I for one would love to see what could be done on the Revolution with a Civ game, created specifically for that platform, assuming of course the console's functionality lives up to what Nintendo is making it out to be. In the end though, I want my Civ games on the PC, it would be interesting to see how they could spin the series off onto consoles, but porting would be a bad idea. PC is the ideal home for Civ in my opinion.

17. evil_linus

evil_linus Chieftain

thing is. I would never be able to play Civ on a TV unless it was HDTV. I mean, the resolution on a normal tv is horrible and it would be almost impossible to navigate menus and stuff. And a hdtv will cost you more than a new computer.

Of course, I want the mouse and keyboard too. But maybe - as Feeroper wrote - could the Nintendo Revolution controller be of some interest. Now, the revolution probably won't have HDTV support so it's a dead end anyway..

18. Jecrell

Jecrell Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5

Never has there been a more rediculous quote. More money doesn't nessicarily mean the better buy. For instance, We Love Katamari was a much better game than Ultimate Spiderman. Argue that into the ground if you like, but if you havn't played both games then I recommend you don't try and strain yourself.

I also paid $1 for Planescape: Torment, one of the best PC games of all time imo. A friend of mine also got himself an Xbox for free. So does that mean his Xbox is worth nothing and Planescape: Torment is worse than the bargin bin games?

Your logic isn't universal, that's for sure.

19. Brackie

Brackie Chieftain

Will this game come out for next gen consoles? It always annoyed me that we didn't get civ on any console.

20. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Presumably, you'd use your new HDTV for more than playing Civ. For example, watching TV.