Civ IV - The Multiplayer League seeks new members

StefOfDk

Casual player
We are a bunch of dedicated fans of Civilization IV who enjoys to play Civ on a regular basis in a tournament. On 4th of August 2008 the next tournament begins and we could use 5-10 (or more) new members to join us the coming 10 civ-battles in the autumn of 2008 and winter 2008-2009.

At this point, we are mostly Danish players, but a few international English-speaking players is already interested due to the translation of the Danish website http://civ.jul-gunnersen.dk to English: http://civ.jul-gunnersen.dk/uk.

You are welcome to visit the page and read about the tournament, the rules and whatever you find interesting.

Please send me a private mail or respond in this forum if you are interested and/or want more information.

Hiya, I looked over the English translation of the website and it looks quite interesting.

Looking at the calendar, I should be able to participate in battles 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10. This is providing my work hours do not change, which I can say with some confidence that I don't think they will.

Hopefully that sounds good to you.

Oh, I do have a question though. If you do get the 5-10 extra members that you're looking for, will you be considering playing on larger map sizes? I noticed that in the rules you have listed for the 2nd season that 9-18 players could be playing on a Normal size map. I've always found 18 players on a huge map a bit crowded myself. :p

But regardless of your answer to that, I would like to participate. I have BTS with the latest 3.17 patch installed.

Sounds cool - of course, you are welcome :) All you do is register on the web site and thereafter you can register and unregister for those battles you can participate in.

Playing a minimum of 4 civ-battles is preferrable I should think so it sounds fine with your thoughts on participating.

Thanks for dropping by and hope you "sign up" - there's no commitment - just pure fun I should hope (we normally have a lot of fun playing).

Yeah, if we get THAT many players I am all for stepping up to more than normal size, but hey, in Denmark we have a saying: Don't sell the bear's skin before it's shot (okay, it might not be Danish, since we... have no bears... Maybe we had? I don't know... Oh, anyway...) All I say is: Let us deal with it if we get players enough :)

If you are in doubt of how to use the web site - or if there are errors or missing translation (other than in the databases - that is a bit hard to solve right now!), please let me know.

Incredible site, I am definitely interested and am signing up! Starting a new job in 1 week, so I'll have to hold off on scheduling until then, however.

Hi Korlinga

I am editing some of the web site right now and saw you signing up - cool!

The playing hours are kind of difficult for US citizens I think. We play when it is evening in Europe which means around noon in the US. I have tried to make it as easy to understand the time codes as possible but we have summer time and winter time so it might require some proper research to find out what US time we play :)

I might be interested. I've not read the site yet but will all the games be quite long or will there be quicker games (2-9hrs)?

The short answer is: All the games are 4½ hours long, but with the possibility for 9 hours of play (which include some computer players, though, because not all human players participate in the second round of the game).

Explanation:
In the league, a civ-battle runs for 4½ hours in the first round and 4½ hours more in the second round. At least, that was the theoretical approach because after the first game in the new season that has just begun, we realized it was too difficult to gather the same players again in round 2.

So now the rules are like this:

Round 1: Players meet up and play 4½ hours (18h-22.30h CET). After this, the battle is decided as regards points - no matter if the game has ended (due to a victory condition or a decision amongst the players) or if the time just ran out, so to speak.

Round 2: In the CivForum (pbpBB-forum) the players decide whether or not they would like to play on. If enough players want to do this - and can agree to a specific date and time - round 2 is carried out, although NOT with points. So this is just pure playing for fun.

Aiight sounds cool hopefully I can make the next game.

Care to get a game going with me before then, so I can make sure I'm set up properly and ready to go?

Hi Keilah

Thanx for joining. I can see you live far away from Europe. You are aware of the time zone difference. When we start at 18:00 Central European Time (summer time), it will be 23:00 hours where you live? Please confirm this "research" because I am no expert on time zones.

But this means you will be playing from 23:00 to 03:30 in the morning... Just wanted to make sure you knew this.

I will be happy to set up a game with you. We play by Direct IP-connection which means you will need to connect to a certain IP (this will be available on the web site on the day or the day before the civ-battle).

Let me know if you are still interested.

Yeah that's fine, it's a bit late but I'm all right with that.

I'm currently downloading 3.17 (on a very slow connection); let's try and get a game set up tomorrow or the next day (as I write this it's the same day as I made my original response in this thread).

Thanks!
-Keilah

Sounds cool. But right now I have to fix connectivity issues I have had with this latest patch. :(

But I hope to play in winter if they fix this :)

Hm... With 3.17? I just tested a multiplayer direct connection yesterday with a player behind a public firewall and everything. That was no problem at all when I - as a server - had my ports set up correctly. I am willing to test it with you, if you like, Civmatrix?

Hey,

I visited the site and am enthusiastic about your initiative. I have registered and signed up for the oncoming battle. I have the latest patch and will download TS2. Looking forward to the battle!

Welcome to the league - you are most welcome - the more, the better :)

There will be more registrations for the next civ-battle. We are at the moment 7-10 players each time, but let's see if that number does not get a bit higher in the autumn and winter :)

Hi Ive joined up but owing to the timezones I can really only go for games at either Friday evenings or weekends. Will keep my eyes peeled, I like the idea.

Hi LordSnakey.

Thanx for joining. It is a bit of a problem with the time zones when you are not European. I am seriously considering setting up two games per civ-battle - one in Europe and one in the US. But that would need someone to be responsible for the server in close cooperation with me. I make all sorts of statistics after a civ-battle and for that I need screenshots with scores, graphs etc. - it is all shown in the forum (http://www.jul-gunnersen.dk/civforum) under Season 1 and 2.

If 1) enough has registered for a battle, 2) there is a battle coordinator with the right network settings, and 3) I get the screenshots and a report afterwards, then the games for the US could be a reality.

However, I think we will also play the new Colonization "for fun" (we always play for fun, but I mean outside the league). So there might be some weekends when we can start at a different time and where all available can join in. Not sure which time is the best. Maybe the same time as now (18h CEST which is more or less GMT+6 at the moment taking summer time into consideration) since it will be easier for Americans to play at this hour (12h GMT).

Let me know if you or others have suggestions as to how things can be done so it will work out the best for all :)

No worries if only i had some spare equipment I would be happy to do some hosting here in Asia. I usually play 2-3 times a week 1300-1700 CET and 0000-0600 CET weekends because im in HK. I will try and adjust my schedule(s) and give you guys a shout if I can join, planning a big game tonight from lunchtime CET :)

Ah you are in Asia hehe :) Sorry about that. Actually we have one other player from Thailand (a Canadian to make it all more confusing) so if we get more members from Asia, then a parallel game in Europe and/or Asia/US would be possible. However, we probably need like 10-15 members in each region.

I am getting to know all kind of stuff about the time zones - it's pretty confusing, I think. Well, all will work out I hope. Right now, it is pretty much only European players who participate in Civ-battles as I have planned them. However, the interest in the Civ Multiplayer League is growing and who knows where it will end :D

Top Bottom