1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ IV vs Civ 1,2,3

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Jozef Kunak, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Jozef Kunak

Jozef Kunak Chieftain

Nice upgrade but it seemed to me to be already too complicated. Maybe because I did not have so much time for playing it.

2. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Yeah, I think I'm gonna stop playin' CIV IV :lol:

4. Opies

Opies Warlord

If civ 3 was too complicated maybe you should stick to solitare ;)

5. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Hey, don't be rude.
    Just play +- 5 hours and I'm sure you'll get the grasp of it.

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Jozef Kunak, please don´t start such populistic threads as you did it here and in the Civ 3 forums. There were some very hot debates about that theme long ago. If you really want to read something about it, you can read it here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=250905

One fact from all these partly very emotional and partly low-level-discussions was, that not any of the participants in those discussions changed his mind, but some participants showed that they had no education.

Please let everybody be happy with the version of civ they are playing.

The other fact is, that you can write what you want, Firaxis doesn´t take notice of it. Firaxis is not able to build a Civ game, where they put all strong aspects of the civ series into one game.

If you find Civ 4 too complicated, well that´s fine. If you have to play it more often, that´s also fine, if you prefer Civ 3 or Civ 2 or even Civ 1 that´s fine, too.

7. rah

rah Deity Supporter

In order of how much enjoyment I got out of each. (not an editorial of which is best)
    Most enjoyment - least enjoyment IV, II, I, III, V

8. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

For me:

Most enjoyment - least enjoyment IV, I, II, III, V

9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

We played a lot of MP which is why I listed II over I.
    But the originality of I vs other computer games at that time was awesome.
    And I expect IV will be listed first to most of us in the IV forums :)

10. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

11. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Civ5 is your game then.

12. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Indeed :goodjob:

13. ferros

ferros Chieftain

Civ II is by far the best game for it's time, I've never spent as much time in any non-MMORPG game as I have on Civ II.

Civ IV is not that far behind though, I really like it and I wish that they would have kept adding stuff on it instead of making the disaster called Civ V.

My ranks is: Civ II > Civ IV >>>>>> Civ I >> Civ III >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Civ V

14. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Yeah, I am totally into adding more and more stuff. Firaxis should know that their fanbase is pretty old and loyal and, in some way, their obligation to us is to add new stuff into great concept Civilization is. The more complex the game is, the better, and if the balance is right, more approaches are available, therefore fun. Civ 4 beats all other civ incarnations in all aspects, except, for some people in sentimental value (civ 2 respectively), and that is a fact.

Civ 5 is just some civilization spin off. Sometimes I feel like civ 1, which was on 19MB CD, IIRC, had more content. I also feel sad beacause chain of adding new, useful, fun and exciting stuff has been broken. Better battle system they say. Yeah, build a catapult and kill everything, then upgrade to trebuchet and kill everything, yeah add some 10 promotions, attack twice, over obstacles, +1 range and kill everything you can see. So boring. And effective. Beaten deity after 6 games. Shame. No feeling of achievement.

Civ is roleplaying egotripping game, duh...

15. Abegweit

Civ 1 came long before CDs. It was sold on four 1.4Meg diskettes.

16. Abegweit

IMO, Civ4 represents the pinnacle of the series and Civ3 is better than Civ2. Certainly I never went back to II after III came out. Some of the ways that Civ3 is better than Civ2:

1. Better graphics, IMO the best of the entire series
    2. Better diplomacy. The AI in civ2 was impossible to deal with.
    3. Better AI period.
    4. Democracy in Civ2 was massively powerful. Far too powerful.
    5. Culture. Eliminated the exploit of driving up to the enemy's cities on his roads.
    6. Caravans were a micromanagement nightmare.
    7. Less AI cheats.
    8. There were absurd exploits in Civ2, from Odo years to fog clicking.

Edit: I forgot the worst thing about Civ2: the absurd way that an entire stack goes poof! if you kill the top unit in it.

17. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

I agree with Abegweit. I started out with Civ III and, after reading about how great II was, bought it on the cheap from Amazon. I was disappointed for the reasons he mentioned, but especially the graphics. I couldn't figure out by looking what a given tile was - grassland, forest or what.

I still play III occasionally, but regard IV as a better game overall. Luckily I saved my money when V came out.

18. Abegweit

I put thousands of hours into Civ2. A couple of years ago I tried to go back and simply couldn't do it because of the graphics. Graphics is the reason I never got into SMAC. Too dark and hard to see.

I just bought Civ3 on Amazon. We'll see if I can get back into that game. Among other things, I want to try out Civinator's mod (I forget the name of it).

19. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

IMHO Civ 4 > Civ 5 > Civ 3 > Civ 2 > Civ Classic

20. gps

gps King

Interesting to see that thread come up after quite some time, which was one of very few here in the forums in which I posted intensly. And I guess I was right with quite some points I made back then: modding in IV was and is still great. And I am still playing Civ IV long after V has been released.

Must have been even less. If I remember correctly the DOS version I bought in '91 came on two or three 5" 1/4 disks which did not contain 1.4 Megs...