1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ & Map Combo's.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by DolusMilan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. DolusMilan

DolusMilan Chieftain

CivFanatics,

After almost ten months of Civ-Silence is started playing again. Before I jumped back in I decided to read some of the 'War Academy' articles. While doing so, one thing kept popping out: Having a game plan

Honestly, I almost always start a game of Civ-IV and just 'screw around' until I see an opportunity which might lead to a win. At the lower difficulties this worked out fine, but from Prince & Higher it just doesn't work anymore for me.:cool:

So I decided to take the advice and did some 'planning' before playing. (playing at Prince)

My first two games:

-Inland sea with the Vikings: Used a combination of Beserkers and Galleys to capture all coastal cities which in the end gave me a domination victory.

-Eart 2 map (the one with 'Old and New world') with the Portugese: Used the Carrack to be the first one settling in the new world, Colonizing it and after a few wars again claiming a domination victory.

The game plan for my games was pretty obvious; using the UU in combination with geography of the map.

But now i've run out of ideas, so my question for you guys:

What are your 'favorite' civ-map combo's, and why? (ex. Rome-pangea for conquest)

Thanks a lot!

M.

P.S. Didn't know exactly where to post this thread (General Discussions or Strategy) so I hope it's in the right place. If not, please transfer.

2. Regas

Regas Chieftain

I always just play the map and decide on situation.
    You can plan to conquer everyone with Rome, but what is your plan's worth if there are no metals and horses around ? :)

3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Great lighthouse and spamming costal cities is a fun strategy that works in most maps where you start with a costal city.

I play on continents and pangea, and I my game plan is to improve my starting city as fast as possible, and settling a second city in a good position quickly.
    While I do this, I try to form a game plan, and often diplomacy plays a big role in this.

Who can I befriend? Who is it safe to trade with without making someone else upset?
    Who can I attack and get away with it?

Yesterday, I found out the hard way a important question to ask:
    Who do I need to support to keep a equilibrium in the game?
    I was friend with gengis khan, and supported him. Unfortunatly, he conqured everyone else and left me behind, unable to catch up.

It's hard to come up with a game plan, without knowing how the map looks, and who are involved.

4. coanda

coanda Emperor

Have a plan is good, yes. But forming that plan before the game even starts is very premature. Some UUs/UBs are unusually useful on specific map scripts. Carracks on Terra, Keshiks on Highlands, Praetorians on Pangaea, Fast Workers on Arboria, Levees and Cothons on Archipelago, and Jaguars on Rainforest all come to mind. But none of that is as important as being able to judge, based on the neighbors you get and the resources + tiles you have available, when (and if) you should start your next war, what economic techs are more important, and what victory conditions you should be considering.

5. Kesshi

Kesshi Emperor

Archipelago + Orange can make great use of the UB and his traits.

6. squall78

squall78 Prince

My current goal is to get the fastest Domination/Conquest win on Pangaea. I got to about 1700's, and I know I can do it faster. It was with the Aztecs and rightfully so :). Wasn't a Dom victory but conquest.

It would be fun to try and get fastest space victory too. Seeing how much you can outtech AI sounds like something I'd like to try.

7. fyermind

fyermind Chieftain

Take a phi leader without fishing (Sully and freddie work well) and bulb rush to engineering to clear your landmass early. On any map type with more than two rivals on your continent this seems lucrative since winning three consecutive wars otherwise means waiting for cannons.

8. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

When I get frustrated, I like to fire up a solid shore pangaea with high sea levels as Boudica. I don't fuss with her UB, nor is it her UU that I'm after. It's all about her traits.

If I'm feeling especially frustrated, I'll re-roll the start until I see ivory. Even that being the case, the war does not wait. As soon as a copper or horse appears, a settler claims it and the planning begins.

*optional - I usually do this with no vassal states enabled. Everyone must die :devil:

9. DolusMilan

DolusMilan Chieftain

What do you mean with 're-rolling', and how does it work?

Thanks for your reply's!

10. wige

wige Chieftain

Re-roll means to keep generate a new start until Ivory is nearby. You should be able to select "regenerate map" after pressing escape. I think you need to do this on turn 0.

11. goldys_lackey

goldys_lackey Hitler

I almost never play inland sea because of the large map size but that Ragnar game sounds like a lot of fun.

12. Ormur

Ormur Prince

For some reason I can't find that option when I play. I'm pretty sure I had it available sometimes and there's nothing in options that enables it or anything.

13. fyermind

fyermind Chieftain

Regenerate map is only an option if no two AIs have yet met. AIs never spawn adjacent, but they can spawn within two spaces of another so with hills or water, they can meet each other before their first turn.

14. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

When I say "re-roll", I'm talking about regenerating the map on T0 without settling. Moving the warrior/scout is ok. This is what some would refer to as "cooking".

15. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I am a heavy abuser of this. I reroll when I get a too good opening (not much of a challenge to play with 3 riverside grassland gems) or when I get a too bad opening (plains cow is my only food, please!)

I can also use it, to get a opening that fits the leader I am playing better.
    So annoying to start at a good costal site, without fishing, and to start next to wet corn w/o agriculture.

Or perhaps piglets and cows, and your leader lacks both agriculture and hunting...

OneLeggedRhino mentioned in a other thread, that he thought one should be able to pick two starting techs, after seeing the opening. I agree totaly on this.
    I mean seriosly, ancient civilizations did have technologies that was suited to their land.

16. mtr12

mtr12 Prince

Play Ramesses II and reroll until you get Stone/Marble/Both.