1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Civ of the Week: Egypt

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, May 13, 2018.

Tags:
?

Who should be next weeks Civ?

Poll closed May 19, 2018.
  1. Cree (equal first with Egypt last week)

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Greece (two leaders for the price of one!)

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Norway (and their shiny new Berserker?)

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Nubia (and their elimination thread winning archer?)

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Sumeria (and their (almost) elimination thread winning donkey wagon?)

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  6. Sythia (and... no, it's just Sythia)

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Chieftain

This got me thinking. Whats the best way to get the classical golden age? Egypt can get + 8 era score and you need 25 I think. Maybe a crazy BO like Scout Scout Warrior? :D

Maybe that's the solution to their slow start. Even the extra faith from the sphinx would be useful for monumentality.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Yea it's not an easy start, but all the starts I've rolled lately have been garbage. It's good for sometimes learning but it's not good for showing off; for sure.

3. Frostburn

Frostburn Chieftain

I think that Persia and Netherlands may be contenders for gold accumulation as well. (Netherlands more for late game)

4. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

I decided to run a test of Egypt on Immortal. People don't like the Maryannu Chariot Archer. Shrug. I kind of like 'em. They do some serious damage. Kind of like having access to an archer corps for a limited time frame (until crossbow upgrade). This game may be a bit skewed by a city state EMEREGENCY I accepted and won. Then again, I wouldn't have accepted if not for the firepower of the Maryannu. After Muscat I figured, as long as I'm in the area...

Speed: Epic
    Difficulty: Immortal
    Map Size: Small

Spoiler North :

Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 5_17_2018 7_55_43 PM.png

Spoiler South :

Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 5_17_2018 7_55_52 PM.png

UPDATE:
    Spoiler Update1 :

Egypt.png

Attached Files:

Exterrestrial likes this.
  5. Frostburn

Frostburn Chieftain

their UU is much more effective in slower game speeds like epic, and are then quite useful.

However, with qucik speed and maybe even standard it might be better to just have chariots that can upgrade to knights. They are fun though

6. BarbarianHunter

That makes sense, with the slower game speeds giving them a longer time to operate in their optimal power curve relative to other units.

7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Nice colosseum placement :goodjob:

RealHuhn and borad like this.
  8. BarbarianHunter

:lol:

Update: Turn 267 / 1210AD

I have found that Egypt's extra gold and food from trade routes synergize well with “red fisting” your neighbor’s cities. The Goddess of the Harvest adds weight here as well if you happen to find yourself with the Monumentality dedication and in a Golden Age.

I’ve managed to flip 4 decent sized cities, and am working on a 5th (Valencia). The extra gold is allowing me to buy tiles en masse to chop with Magnus for both additional population and production. I’ve popped up a few insta-cities of my own as well in this manner right up against a neighboring civ’s cities with borderline loyalty ratings.

Ps, the Spanish declared war on me or it’d have been a peaceful game since the first few rounds.

The Spy has the Forment Unrest Promotion (which also works quite well here).
    Inked1-ForementUnrest_LI.jpg

Inked2-AboutToBlow_LI.jpg

3-KeepOrFree #2.png

On to the next one...(Valencia)...I would bring the Forement Unrest spy back to help but by the time he got there, established himself, and completed the mission, the city would already be flipped to "free city" status.
    4-Valencia.png

9. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

How does extra gold and food synergize with making neighboring rival cities revolt?

10. BarbarianHunter

The gold (and propensity to build more commercial hubs due to Egypt's bonuses and therefore deploy more envoys to gold city states) gives you extra discretionary funding to buy (allot of) tiles for insta-cities. What I mean here is one turn there is nothing, the next you found the city, then immediately send Magnus. For the next 5 turns while waiting for Magnus to establish, you buy (or preferably summon using faith with Monumentality Golden Age dedication) builders to deploy to the tiles. Chop rainforests, cattle, and swamps to add to population first. WIth the Goddess of the Harvest this will give you even MORE faith to procure more builders with the Monumentality dedication in a Golden Age. The city should be at least to a 4 population and perhaps 7. Now you can chop up a few districts by clearing the woods. Some of the insta-cities I created in this game get to a 10 population in a matter of 10 turns exerting a considerable loyalty pressure (that wasn't there a short time before).

The extra food for Egypt's trade routes also adds to the population (and thereby loyalty pressure).

AlannaT likes this.
  11. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I see--so the goal is to settle lots of cities with that food/gold to prop them up and exert more loyalty pressure. Larger cities exert more loyalty pressure, I presume?

12. Forster

Forster Chieftain

That is really interesting.

13. BarbarianHunter

In this particular circumstance it seems to be the flavor of the day. Definitely, the higher the population, the more loyalty it will exert. This is something to be aware of while warring also. Given the choice of two equal cities, you'd want to take out the one with the larger population because 1) It will have more friendly loyalty and 2) It will not exert loyalty its greater loyalty pressure against the other city you would theoretically conquer in its place (which exerts a lesser loyalty pressure).

For instance, I don’t have saves between turns 201 and 263 and am not exactly sure when I founded Cyrene; However, between turn 201 and 263 Cyrene grew to a 16 population, flipped Zaragoza and went a long way towards flipping the Spanish capital (Madrid).

Zaragoza as well. It was a quaint little 3 population city when it flipped, but as I concentrated on commercial hubs due to the +4 extra gold I receive from foreign trade routes I was able to buy (and chop) tiles en masse. I don’t really track the +2 food Egypt receives for incoming trade routes as there’s nothing much I can do about it. But it’s there and factors into a city’s growth.
    201.png 263.png

Attached Files:

RealHuhn likes this.
  14. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Chieftain

Almost 500 gpt. Nice! You forgot to use alliances though, didn't you? ^^ Egypt gets double alliance points if you trade with your ally! And your international trade routes get even better.

15. BarbarianHunter

I have tried a few times. I create embassies in all the civs, then asked for friendship. The only one who accepted was Indonesia (but they would not form an alliance). Then some time later I tried again only to find that they wanted me to create another embassy! Shake head. I decided not to waste another 75 gold with useless embassies on the numbskull AI's and simply asked for a friendship declaration (all of which were declined).

No offensive warring since the beginning of the game when I conquered Persia. No spies caught, nothing. The AI is just belligerent. My working hypothesis is that somehow they know it's a boon for Egypt and are coded to avoid alliances but who the heck knows!?!#%!

UPDATE on my Egypt experiment...

I am continuing to successfully "red fist" the Spaniard with the Egyptian gold/food strategy. And there doesn't seem much he can do about it. On turn 271 Madrid had a population of 12. By turn 276 I had chopped and farmed it up to 20 (and got +2 era score for my trouble). Over the next 23 turns after flipping Madrid (the capital), 2 more cities came over (Valencia and Barcelona), leaving him with only 1 left. I think it's just a matter of time before that one succumbs to the "red fist" juggernaut :crazyeye:.
    6-BothEgypt.png

16. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

Right, so this thread inspired me to start an Egypt game, and...check out this start location:
    Spoiler :

This is what I see here:
    • My settler started right on a plains hill by a river
    • 3 of the tiles in the first ring are 2 food 2 production
    • Plenty of river adjacent tiles
    • There are at least 3 different luxury resources within reach of the city. They are in ring 3, but I'll purchase my way there.
    • There's a fourth luxury resource, Ivory, not far to the west
    • I expect to find a variety of other luxuries as well, because that sheep tile to the west, as well as the ones SW and NE of it are on a different continent. This also triggered my inspiration for Foreign Trade.
    • You might also notice that my tourism output is 8 and faith output is 4.1. That's right, my very first goodie hut, popped on turn two where my Warrior stands, contained the holy relic, the Gundestrup Cauldron. I'll be selecting a Pantheon soon.

I'm playing on King difficulty, Epic speed, Continents, High sea level.

17. BarbarianHunter

Last Update and game ending for my Egypt experiment:

The last Spanish city took longer to flip than I would have imagined, some 72 turns after the last his other cities joined the Egyptian Confederation of Peaceable Traders. It only took 60 turns to flip ALL 4 of his other cities. As to why it took 72 for the last one? No idea. Maybe because it would be the end of his civ?

Update: Upon further research, I found I was able to flip the 4 cities so quickly because I was in a golden age and he was in a dark age. Whereas the last city was so resistant because both of us were in golden ages. As to how, exactly, he swung a golden age after 4 of his cities deserted him, I again, have no idea.
    2---LastCityFlipped.png

I closed the game out with a Cultural Victory on turn 374 (my 4th such CV ever, and 1st not born of heavy warfare).
    3---242of240.png

UPDATE2: Final Statistics on city flipping due to loyalty.
    Georgia: Akhalkalaki
    Spain: Salamanca, Zaragoza, Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Seville (the entirety of Phillip's empire).

Attached Files:

Siptah likes this.
  18. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Chieftain

I've came up with another strategy which gave me even better results. It probably does require a decent starting location though. The key is going for the classical golden age with strong faith output (I even got a religion). Egypt is literally build for early monumentality because they can generate the faith with desert folklore (desert bias) and the sphinx. Settlers, builders and traders are also cheaper to purchase with gold which is obviously amazing for commercial hub spam and Egypt's bonuses!!

Starting location (Settler on plains hill and two 2/2 tiles in 1st ring, pretty good!), save file is attached:
    Spoiler :
    upload_2018-5-19_12-47-50.jpeg

With Monumentality, the 4th settler only costs 390 gold, I bought the 5th one for 235 faith! This way you have 5 cities relatively early but only have to produce 1 of them. The timing works best on Deity because the classical era starts earlier. On lower levels, it's easier to reach the golden age though.
    Spoiler :
    upload_2018-5-19_12-50-14.jpeg upload_2018-5-19_12-50-43.jpeg

My religion (I got the 2nd to last prophet on turn 54):
    Spoiler :
    upload_2018-5-19_12-49-1.jpeg

Screenshot turn 100 with 9 cities, a religion (no 2nd prohept yet) and 200 gold per turn (including 90 gpt from a peace deal) and rising (2 unfinished markets and harbor)! :
    Spoiler :
    upload_2018-5-19_12-51-10.png

How did I get the +24 era score for the classical golden age?:
    1. Destroy two barb camps: +6
    2. Make contact with three civs: +3
    3. Four goodie guts: +4
    4. Holy site with +5 adjacency: +3
    5. Sphinx: +4
    6. Settle on a desert tile: +1
    7. Build campus with +3 adjacency: +3

If you need more points
    , you can also:
    1. Build a Mayannu: +4
    2. Find a city state first and send Amani: +2

Build Order:
    Capital: Scout Scout Slinger Settler, Builder, Holy Site, Shrine, Prayer project, Settler
    2nd city: (Rushbuy Monument if enough money or settle near culture tiles), Builder -> Holy Site -> Shrine -> Slinger -> chop Campus (use Magnus and overflow if you want to get the best results)
    After that: Military with Agoge, rushbuy trader and send it to the scientific CS preferably for the +2 science per turn.
    Double Scout for getting early era score, Slinger (or Warrior) for clearing barb camps, 1-2 monuments are necessary for getting Amani/Magnus in time for either Mayannu/district chopping or CS era score.

Tech Order: Astrology (can abort if you don't find a natural wonder in time but don't wait too long) -> Mining -> Wheel (for Mayannus) -> Writing -> Currency (unless you really need Animal Husbandry/Irrigation/Archery)
    Civic Order: Foreign Trade (switch to Craftsmanship if you don't find a 2nd continent) -> Craftsmanship -> Early Empire -> Mysticism if you need that envoy/Amani to get more era score

Next steps: Pick Monumentality golden age, rushbuy 3rd settler, faithbuy 4th settler, found the religion, build Commercial Hubs, build Mayannus with Agoge and use the overflow to chop markets with Magnus, either spam more Mayannus and attack your neighbour or expand with settlers and faith-/rushbuy builders/traders whenever possible. In my game I went for a hybrid. I used 3 Mayannus and took 2 cities from Korea and made a good peace deal. Meanwhile I built one settler in each of the 4 cities (with the +50% settler card).
    After that try to get the medieval golden age (science from commercial hubs) by using Amani, settle one city on the coast for the +2 era score from a galley, found and expand the religion etc.
    Ideally all your trade routes should go to a scientific CS or a civ like Korea to counter the lack of early campuses.

Religion:

1. With choral music and two early shrines, you get +4 culture. Pretty good. Culture progression doesn't slow down.
    2. Defender of the faith: This is debatable of course but it's a very nice passive bonus, even for conquering. Mayannus are already strong but with +10 combat strength, you are 100% save from any possible AI attack.

Government: As government I chose Autocracy (nice early boost and you can switch to classical republic a little later) and Audience Chamber (I needed the housing to grow my core cities and Egypt can rushbuy builders anyway).
    Governors: For chaining two early golden ages, I think Amani is more useful than lvl 2 Magnus. On this map I didn't really care about losing population because housing was an issue. So the order was Magnus -> Amani -> Liang

:egypt::egypt:

I also attached the save file if anyone wants to try the buildorder on this map. Standard speed, standard map size, continents, Deity.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    WillowBrook and Siptah like this.
  19. Forster

Forster Chieftain

Do you have the save from your start? Could you post it here?

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2018
  20. BarbarianHunter

I only have turn 2. I should get into the habit of saving turn 1 pre moves, shrug.

Attached Files: