1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Civ of the Week: Georgia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
?

Who should be next weeks Civ?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2018.
  1. China

32.5%
  2. Mongolia

12.5%
  3. Poland

47.5%
  4. Let’s do Rome again (because I didn’t get enough aqueducts with Khmer)

7.5%
  1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

What I think might be a cool idea is have ancient walls only able to "fire" one tile out, medieval walls "fire" two tiles out, and renaissance walls "fire" 3 tiles out. I probably wouldn't still build them, but it would make them tempting.

KayAU and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Well this is strictly for culture victories which I aim for a lot, but if people are doing stuff like cavalry I'd imagine they'd have more time to build those walls. But then again those walls are going to be for tourism anyways.... damn anti-synergy everywhere.

3. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

They're concurrent with Bombards so I expect they're just more for them to blast through. If your rivals don't have bombards I suspect you wouldn't need them.

4. Archon_Wing

Well, Bombards are pretty weak units and need to get within bombard range to fire.They can just be cleared by muskets or pike and shot, or even field cannons. If you can't clear them, then you're in trouble even if they can't take your city center anyways. Which is the other issue with walls.

But with an encampment in their way, they'll be so slow. That, and I can beeline infantry faster than I can get those walls up at times so that the city defense strength is so high bombards won't do anything anymore.

5. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

If your rival doesn't even have the tech level for bombards you probably don't need to upgrade your walls. Field cannon should rightly demolish bombard since they are more advanced. It sounds like you're just teching too fast to make use of Ren. Walls.
    Siege units are pretty good if they have a defensible location to shoot from and they have units in front of them. They don't need to be adjacent like rams and towers. Maybe good for across a river where your units would be penalised and can't beseige.

6. Sostratus

Sostratus Chieftain

If your cities' defense rating scaled with strictly walls +# of districts and not most advanced unit built, I think it would do a lot for warfare. (Making up numbers: inherent rating is 10, walls boost you to 25/40/55 with districts adding the +2 each they do now. A defense rating will never be lower than the strength of a garrisoned melee unit.) Then those outposts you put down are extremely vulnerable without garrison. Then building walls would be an incredible priority for any border city.
    Getting extra wall health is trivial compared to the fact that I can break a strength 45 wall with 2-3 muskets, but I can't break a strength 60 wall with them and still take the city. The difference isn't if the defender has R. Walls, it's whether they've built a niter class unit or not.

I digress. Georgia being able to have a real "wall economy" would be a sight to behold.

acluewithout likes this.
  7. Archon_Wing

Well that may be true, but you can get pike and shot pretty easily. I just think if your enemy has bombards around your city, things have already gone very wrong and an encampment is the better idea plus can be gotten early. Knights will also take them out especially if you have great generals.

8. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

Want to make Georgia better and more interesting but also keep with the design choice of none of their traits synergizing? Of course you do!

I propose: [All] Georgian units move through hills as if they were flat

The Incans had it in Civ5 and it was quite nice. It would be an even better ability in Civ6 because well-connected roads networks happen later in the game. This means moving faster through hills stays important for a longer period of the game.

Of course their unique unit becomes even less unique because all units can move like he does. So, the Georgian UU would need a rework as well :p

9. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I think it'd be neat to give them a culture flair by doubling the wall tourism output, possibly at an earlier tech. Then give her an extra tourism bonus during golden ages. It'd help her wall and the GA ability gel together towards a specific VC in a unique way.

The UU wouldn't be a big deal, there are a number of UUs that tend to be geared more towards flavor than anything else.

10. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

I've updated Georgia's description. Enjoy.

Separately. As sad as it is that FXS went with giving the Big G a unique Wall but not giving her a more general "Wall Economy", I like that they went with an Religious Ability that neither Buffs Getting a Religion or Winning a Religious Victory, but instead gives you something entirely new to do with Religion (i.e. get more envoys).

I'm really tempted to see if Georiga could go for a fast space victory by leveraging Scientific City States.

11. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

So the funny thing looking back at all the civs I played for Civ of the week (I just finished my last game with Russia), Georgia was my fastest victory. :lol: Does that mean they are the best civ? :D Hardly. But just shows how skewed religious victory is compared to other victory methods. Especially on only a standard size map. I kept map conditions fairly uniform throughout all my playthroughs. I think I only did a religious victory with one other civ (Scythia), and that was slower of course. I haven't done one with Russia or Arabia. I have a feeling Russia should crush Georgia, especially with Aurora pantheon. I went cultural victory which of course is slower than religious victory. The only true test would be to do a religious victory with everyone, and that's not going to happen. So for the moment, Georgia is my fastest victory ever, hmm. (only for my official civ of the week games, I do have a couple domination victories on archipelago maps that are faster).

12. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis Chieftain

Russia will absolutely crush them. Georgia has some good faith potential, but it takes too long to get it going. When you do religious victory, earlier the better. You want to expand into other cities before they get good faith generation up. And you want less cities. Religious victory is an arms race.

With Russia, you get faith from turn 1 if you're on tundra. And the Lavra is half price. With twice the great Prophet points. So you get a pantheon and religion earlier than Georgia. That's why I hate Georgia so much... For the one thing they are strongest at, they are eclipsed by Russia.

The key is to go balls in with religious victory. Only Russia and Indonesia offer first choice of pantheon. ALWAYS pick Dance of the Aurora. You want early culture and you want to hit temples fast. You'll be sending out Missionaries before anyone.

And that's the beauty of it.... You'll be drawing so much Faith that you can be like, why send Missionaries, when I can send apostles? And its true, you'll be able to send apostles out the wazoo when you're sending 400,500 a faith a turn, yeah real numbers as long as you spam settle tundra and build lavras.

Small, Emperor, Pangaea I regularly win in Medieval. Standard, Emperor, Pangaea, I can win in the Renaissance. Increasing map sizes or difficulty will make that harder.

Legacy of Smiles likes this.
  13. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Think of Georgia and you do think of those high walls, so lets make their cities +10 strength?
    Double envoys and double CS district values would make this CS rather unique and quite OP if they can get their religion into CS.
    Like the all mountain movement of @NukeAJS TBH cheaper uniques all round would be better.

Just thinking of something fun while keeping the desired theme.

14. local_hero

local_hero Chieftain

What do you think, would the Tsikhe be okay-ish if it replaced the medieval walls in the tech tree and got a strength upgrade with the renaissance wall tech (effectively replacing both the medieval and renaissance walls)?

It's just sooo bad. I want to see the art work for the historic moments of the Khevshur and the Tsikhe, but can't motivate myself to play the civ.

15. Legacy of Smiles

Legacy of Smiles Chieftain

I'm not well versed in Georgian history and Google has shown me nothing. How is Georgia related to hills? Is it just a hilly country?

16. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Yes. Most Georgian cities are located in valleys surrounded by hills and mountains. That they don't get a start bias to those, is ridiculous, as their culture is built around it.

17. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

A start bias for Hills would move Georgia up the power rankings.

18. Legacy of Smiles

Legacy of Smiles Chieftain

Honestly would be Georgia's strongest aspect unfortunately.

Icicle and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  19. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

I don't mind Georgia. It's biggest problems are that Khevsurs are on a leaf tech (fixed in GS) and that walls (other than ancient walls) are underpowered. They were an odd choice to give the "perpetually golden" ability to, but overall I'm fine with the civ design. I think giving them a starting bias for Hills makes sense thematically, however, and they're otherwise weak enough not to throw game balance off by doing so.

20. Banazir864

Banazir864 Chieftain

What if instead of a flat +3 Faith, Tshike added a Faith yield to the city's hill tiles (in addition to having a hill start bias and Tshike coming earlier)?