1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Civ of the Week: Georgia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
?

Who should be next weeks Civ?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2018.
  1. China

32.5%
  2. Mongolia

12.5%
  3. Poland

47.5%
  4. Let’s do Rome again (because I didn’t get enough aqueducts with Khmer)

7.5%
  1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I think the problem with the Tshike is that it comes too late. I can obsolete it within a few turns of getting them.

I'd like it if they replaced ancient walls and automatically upgraded to the defense of the highest level available. So it you researched castles, they'd increase in defense.

Also make it available at mining instead of masonry. And before anyone cries overpowered, this is the same game with Nubia and Sumeria in it.

acluewithout likes this.
  2. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Chieftain

Just play as Canada!

3. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Basically don't play as Georgia. Gotcha.

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I love having them as an AI opponent, because I do love their music. AI seems to do decent with them in my games strangely.

Socrates99 likes this.
  5. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Georgia is the reason I have zero faith in Firaxis' ability to balance anything. It takes 5 seconds of reading to see they completely suck, yet they still shipped them like this.

Jewelrunna likes this.
  6. Leucarum

Leucarum Chieftain

I had never actually tried Georgia, so this thread convinced me to give it a whirl...

Turns out my map gave me Mount Roraima and my neighbour was the Kaiser. Those protectorate wars are flying and I don't think I've ever generated this much faith before. So while this experience is probably not going to happen often while playing as Georgia, I'm enormously enjoying this very silly game.

Socrates99 and Jewelrunna like this.
  7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I suspect they thought golden ages would be more powerful. And they sort of were for my Georgia religious victory. Getting those 2 extra charges on apostles for 2 eras in a row certainly helped my fast religious victory time. I certainly wasn't generating faith from protectorate wars or renaissance walls. I got that relatively fast victory from the strength of golden ages.

I did complete a Russia religious victory game yesterday, and I only beat my Georgia victory above by 2 turns. Even with the aurora pantheon with Russia. I did not get 2 golden ages in a row like I did with my Georgia game. And perhaps the map and my opponents helped my victory time as well (Though I did play on same map type/size). Funny enough, the only civ to give any serious apostle resistance in my Russia game was Georgia.

Make no mistake, they are a bad civ. But don't discount golden ages, they can be nice for religious victory.

8. SephiBBZ

SephiBBZ Chieftain

An interesting civ but without any early bonus, hard to play (talking for multi only).

The idea is to build a lot of holy site to have a lot of faith, build a religion fast.
    Then using the leader bonus, you can take a lot of city states and in governement you get of course the bonus to buy units with faith.
    With +100% faith you build an insane army buying everything.

+ you always keep a golden age cause of the civ bonus.

It takes time to be really in a good position, it means that during something like the 50 first turns at least you have to be really precise and take care of the army of the ennemies near you.
    Try to make some alliance with other players as fast as possible.
    At turn 80 you gonna be very strong.

9. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Chieftain

Moreso the problem with the Tsikhe is not only that it comes too late for it to be good, but that it replaces something that you don’t want to build, which itself is already locked behind something you don’t want to build either.

Ancient walls? Great! I might build them in my frontier cities if I feel in danger. Medieval walls? Eh, I don’t know about that one. That’s a whole lot of production for an increase in defense that’s probably not worth it. Renaissance walls?! No. Absolutely not. I’m reeeeeally hard pressed to find a situation where I’m going to feel like I need to or, god forbid, can even afford to spend the production to get them. And that’s even assuming that I’ve already build their medieval predecessors!

And for going through all those hoops to go out of my way to build the tsikhe, what do I get? Three faith? Laughable, that’s the only way I can describe the tsikhe. Absolutely laughable.

10. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

That's why she needs a bonus specifically geared towards walls. Even something as small as doubling or tripling their late game tourism would give you some impetus to dump hammers into those things. As it stands it's pretty weak to trade that much production to eventually get a few faith in the late renaissance.

Hope she gets a bit of an overhaul in GS.

Leucarum, Jewelrunna and acluewithout like this.
  11. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

Reddit's Civs of the Week is Georgia. You can google it yourself. Anyway. It got me thinking about Georgia and GS.

Do people think GS might buff Georgia?

My thinking. First, linking Diplomatic Favour to Suzerainty will buff Georgia is a fun and organic way. Second, I wonder if Walls and or Monarchy might get reworked a little. If so, that would help Georgia. Third, the buff to Military Tactics and (it seems) Pikes will be a good boost for them. Fourth, surely Georgia will just get a buff? I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to buff them.

I hope Georgia get some love. I'd like to play a more medieval focused game.

Also, if Georgia does get buffed, there could be some very fun Georgia v Hungary or Ottoman games...

12. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Georgia did get a significant buff in diplomatic favor and even more use for Faith as well.

You just have to really play the Religion game.

acluewithout likes this.
  13. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Just for clarification, a missionary costs less than an apostle, you can get them out before apostles and they are as good as apostles against cities with no faith, they convert heathens.
    Add to this that every apostle you buy increases the cost of the next then I would say you are crazy to ever use an apostle against a heathen city, twice the cost and same effect (apart from promotion)
    Masses of missionaries also are great scouts early, you can use then for blocking enemy missionaries and they count as flanking in apostle combat.

14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I plan on playing them after GS comes out. After I play all the other civs and some of the ones with major changes.

Even if they don't get a direct buff, I will still play them. They should get an indirect buff with you getting double envoys with city states converted to your religion (giving you diplomatic favor). I want to try a diplomatic win this way.

In a way I want to play them because I feel sorry for them. :lol: If one can feel sorry for abstract programming values.

15. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Warlord

You can definitely feel sorry for them. I didn’t play Georgia because I was sorry for them, I don’t think, but it was the 2 achievements you get that pushed me; I’m trying to get as many as I can before GS. I had the same apprehension as most people do when it comes to this Civ. But it was unwarranted in the end. Go figure, I had so much fun and on deity (an emperor player usually, I’m also going on deity more now to just to something different) against England, the Cree and finally the Zulu. It was certainly a huge challenge, but I got a religious victory and it was glorious. The map helped because I was a bit secluded and protected. And I even won the game in a Dark age, the last turn even before getting a Historic age, so I got that achievement also. Couldn’t believe it! Now, Georgia is a beloved Civ to me. That’s what the experience does to you. I can’t wait to play them again. So, I’m trying new things. I don’t usually like purely domination civs, but my next game that I start today has the Mongols trying to win a culture victory to get those two achievements. It will be fun. I wonder what other civs I’ll get. Please no France or Kongo.:nono::(:help:

16. Victoria

I really want to play a Georgia where I can upgrade warriors to the UU. Any mod out there?

17. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Steel & Thunder and Warfare Expanded both allow this. As a stand-a-lone mod, no, but it's simple to make.

Victoria likes this.
  18. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Warlord

Thanks for the tip.

On a side note, every time I read something you write, I hear a gum bubble pop right after it. :lol: Also, how’s Utah doing. I gather you live there by your location.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  19. Victoria

If it is just a couple of XML changes I would appreciate enlightenment.

20. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Chieftain

I don't think its that easy because it's not not replacing a unit. You could have it replace Pikeman and have it upgrade from Spearman by adding to the UnitReplaces table. I tried making the Berserker an upgradeable unit and tried this. I didn't really make sense when I play tested it.