1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ on PSX

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by GenghisK, Mar 27, 2001.

1. GenghisK

GenghisK ...

I've read that many people are playing or discovering Civ saga on their Playstation (or other consoles).
    I mean no offense towards these people but personnally I don't think strategy games and especially Civ-like, are suitable for a console portage. I've always thought that it's a typical computer game type.
    First, in my humble opinion, Playstation or Dreamcast platforms are rather for action, arcade or fighting games and not really for "deep thinking level" games. To take an example, even real-time strategy (such as Warcraft2 or Command&conquer) portages have not been great.
    Last, I'd prefer play Civ with a mouse and a keyboard, rather than a gamepad. But as I said, it's MY humble opinion and I don't mean any offense to anybody.
    Nevertheless, it's perhaps not a really bad idea, too. It would allow people to discover the wonderful world of diplomatic strategy. And that's great.

What do you think about that?

------------------
    Genghis K.

2. Mindfields

Mindfields Chieftain

Civilization on my playstation??? Nah!... i don't think so. I have to buy a mouse first. civilization is not suitable on a console.

3. MrLeN

MrLeN Chieftain

The only experience I have had playing Civ on a console was on (I think a Sony Playstation) with a contol pad.

At the time, I didn't have my computer and needed a Civ fix. It was a cheap solution. I hired the game from the local video store and played on a friends console.

It did serve its purpose, but it's kinda like giving a heavy smoker patches. It just didn't quite fit the bill.

It compromised many options (I can't remember which ones) but I can definately recal thinking "where's this"?, "what happened to that"?

In short, it is not suitable, but then again, these days the consoles DO have keyboards and mouses etc... I think at the very least, it's a cheap alternative to buying a compuer if you don't have one, or access to one.

MrLeN

------------------
    Where there is money, there are liars!
    Check out my Homepage:
    Nebulous!
    Don't forget to sign my guestbook.
    I sure do look forward to feedback!

4. drake

drake Bring it

Yeah, playstation was my gateway to the PC version......and after playing PC for like oh...5 minutes, I realized that it was the superior version......

Man, you want to talk about slow? That playstation version is painfully slow.....

5. VanillaCube

VanillaCube Your local Schizophrenic

I hate the PC verson of civ. and if It was not on the playstation I would not play civ at all because I hate being stuck in a damm chair for 6 or 7 hours!

------------------
    The people in my cool book
    1.Travin
    2.Thunderfall
    3.stellar converter
    4.penvzila
    ------------
    My S*** List
    1.Hardman

6. RR_Aquilae

RR_Aquilae Chieftain

I started playing CivII on Playstation Jan'00. I had never before played a strategy game, so it was a surprise for me to realize I'm addicted to CivII. Soon I found out that the manual is very superficial and that the game gets slower and slower as the gamecenturies change. However, I played many enjoyable games during that year.

Then, three months ago I bought a computer and started to dream about PC-version of CivII. Last weekend I then saw ToT in a local game shop. It was so low in price I couldn't resist the temptation. After these days with PC-Civ... THERE'S NO GOING BACK!

Despite the slowness PSX-version made a strategy game fan of me.

7. GenghisK

GenghisK ...

Hi, thanks to you all guys for your (different) point of view. Apparently I was right. PSX s*** for Civ-like games. Sorry for you vanillacube
    That's all what I wanted to know. Even Drake agrees with me

------------------
    Genghis K.

8. Tact

Tact Chieftain

I could see it were the consoles linked for MP, but four people sitting in the same room playing civ would completely negate all the Inter-player diplomacy.

9. drake

drake Bring it

The only thing better is that the wonder movies are full screen......The graphics are so unclear that it is a challenge to tell the difference between fish and whales...some of the other landscape tiles were very poorly done.....as well as the units....plus playing without a mouse is painful......

------------------
    Check out the site for the Ultimate Diplo game:
    History of the World

10. VanillaCube

I think that playing with a mouse is too slow and unatural! and you have to search those damm bars up top and on the bottom and on the side sometimes, with the controller you can just push one button and your were you want to be faster than the mouse.

------------------
    **** Cool Books I started my first cool book because I would be Original, and now all you basterd's stole my Idea! thanks to the Insane spamming poster!

11. Fishheads

Fishheads Chieftain

ewwww

consoles suck

12. VanillaCube

ewwww
    fishheads suck

actually they are quite tasty I like the eye balls!

------------------
    **** Cool Books I started my first cool book because I would be Original, and now all you basterd's stole my Idea! thanks to the Insane spamming poster!

13. GenghisK

GenghisK ...

Nononono, psx s****. Definitely. Everybody agrees.

------------------
    Genghis K.

14. VanillaCube

Are You calling me Nobody because I am somebody and as somebody I am included in everybody so your statment is wrong!

------------------

15. GenghisK

GenghisK ...

Sorry Vanillacube, don't take it bad
    I said I meant no offense to anybody. Of course, I respect your opinion...
    Forget it? Forgive me?

------------------
    Genghis K.

16. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

We'd respect your opinion more if it wasn't so blatantly wrong, Vanilla Ice. Civ on a PS? Puh-LEEZE!

------------------
    "Ivana Tinkle? Hold on, lemme check. Hey, everybody!! Put down your glasses, Ivana Tinkle!"

17. GenghisK

GenghisK ...

Yeah yeah Fearless, we all think PSX civ stinks but, chhtt... Don't annoy Vanilla He's the only guy/girl(?) who likes that. It's his right.

------------------
    Genghis K.

18. Mongol Horde

Mongol Horde Resident Savage Army

I have tried civII on the ps2 and I had to fight the urge not to puke all over it. Have you seen the resolution of it, absolutely awful. It's common sense that civ is PC game leave the consoles for the joypad bashers.

And VC get yourself a comfy chair.

19. GenghisK

GenghisK ...

Yes, welcome to our PC-civ club Just in case you didn't know, I also totally share your opinion. PSX s***

------------------
    Genghis K.

20. Mongol Horde

Mongol Horde Resident Savage Army

You are the Mongol Hordes leader after all so I can't really disagree with you can I?