Civ on the Amiga...

I did too. Amiga 500 all the way. Then I switched to Colonization on my Amiga 1200. Those were the days *sigh*.

Me too. 4 floppy's. Everytime you were contacted by a leader you had to switch floppy's three times just to say no to a ridiculous demand.
You had to switch floppy's all the time too for building your palace. I bought an external disk drive, so I could have 2 floppy's running at the same time, just for Civ. It costed me about 150 Euros what at the time was a fortune to me (I was 14). I bought it just for Civ.
I remember some time later I saw it at a friends house on his fathers PC (can't remember, but probably a 386, or something) and I saw it was at least 5 times faster there. So I started saving for a PC. Never got it then, because that was really way too expensive at that time, for such a young kid.

Tavenier said:
You had to switch floppy's all the time too for building your palace. I bought an external disk drive, so I could have 2 floppy's running at the same time, just for Civ. It costed me about 150 Euros what at the time was a fortune to me (I was 14). I bought it just for Civ.
QUOTE]

Me too :lol: :lol:

And were you also 14? That would mean you, just like me, have been playing Civs for half my life now!

Willem said:
Me too. Started out playing it on the Commodore 64 though. Yes I'm old. :D

I'm with you brother!

I was so excited when I upgraded from the Vic20 to c64.

Holy S!it! Civilization was compiled to C64! I do not believe this. Must've taken 2 hrs + good tape heads to load a map.

Just incredible! Whoa! When was civ released? I guess 1991? And you've (Willem) got a C64 version? That's antique! Please do us all a favor and copy the binary image to some modern media. That's really something!

Count me in as an Amiga Civ 1 player, I killed many hours that way.

Quasimodo said:
I'm with you brother!

Civ on the C64? I'd have to see evidence to believe it considering it came on 4 disks on the Atari ST.

Quasimodo said:

Yeah, I can relate. I started out with a Viv 20 that my brother gave me. I was so happy when I got my 64. Now you have wristwatches with more processing power.

biratets said:
Holy S!it! Civilization was compiled to C64! I do not believe this. Must've taken 2 hrs + good tape heads to load a map.

Just incredible! Whoa! When was civ released? I guess 1991? And you've (Willem) got a C64 version? That's antique! Please do us all a favor and copy the binary image to some modern media. That's really something!

The 64 didn't use tape, it had a 5.25 inch diskdrive, or something like that. I don't remember how many disks were required. And no, I don't have them anymore, my 64 days are long behind me.

Jimbo30 said:
Civ on the C64? I'd have to see evidence to believe it considering it came on 4 disks on the Atari ST.

What's so hard to believe, the 64 used disks as well. But you'll have to take my word for it, since I don't have them anymore.

I played Civ1 on the Amiga 500, a really nice computer btw.
I also had C64 but dont remember if I played Civ1 on that computer, never had floppy to my C64 so if Civ1 never came on tape...

Willem said:
The 64 didn't use tape, it had a 5.25 inch diskdrive, or something like that. I don't remember how many disks were required. And no, I don't have them anymore, my 64 days are long behind me.

The C64 did use tape. I can remember playing many games on this machine. Although I believe a disk drive was available as a seperate add on but I could never afford it. Seing as we are all talking about old computers I though I'd ask if anyone remembers the Sinclair Zx81? This was my first machine back in good old 1980!! yes monochrome display and a massive 1k Memory ahhh what a machine that was ;o) ... Yes I suppose that makes me old! Also had a sinclair Zx Spectrum 48k,( Think it was called a Timex 1000 in USA), Commodore 64, Sinclair QL, Amstrad CPC 6128, Atari ST,Amiga 500, 1200 I played the original Civ 1 on this machine and I remember having very little sleep whilst playing. I think I even fell asleep in school once because of this game!!

IIRC, Civilization I was available for the C64, but in reduced form. I can't find any mention of it on the Net, though. And as far as the space requirements go, most of the space is taken up by graphics which would be downgraded for lesser computers.. the game code itself is pretty simple and nothing impossible to handle for the C64.

Btw, did you know that people are still doing stuff on old 8-bit computers? Things like realtime texture mapped 3d, raytracing and web surfing on the C64.. 8bit will never die ;)

nexus2000 said:
The C64 did use tape. I can remember playing many games on this machine. Although I believe a disk drive was available as a seperate add on but I could never afford it. Seing as we are all talking about old computers I though I'd ask if anyone remembers the Sinclair Zx81? This was my first machine back in good old 1980!! yes monochrome display and a massive 1k Memory ahhh what a machine that was ;o) ... Yes I suppose that makes me old! Also had a sinclair Zx Spectrum 48k,( Think it was called a Timex 1000 in USA), Commodore 64, Sinclair QL, Amstrad CPC 6128, Atari ST,Amiga 500, 1200 I played the original Civ 1 on this machine and I remember having very little sleep whilst playing. I think I even fell asleep in school once because of this game!!

Ah, history time

1) Timex Sinclair something or other. Had 2K of RAM on-board, and I bought the massive 3K 'expander' pack. The thing was a real P.O.S., and I took it back after 2 weeks.
2) Commodore 64. Got it when I was 12 (1982). Used it up until first year university (1989). Had the Datasette (tape) then the 5.25" floppy drive. A nice, nice machine that had good music (and graphics!) for games at least 10+ years ahead of 'PC's'. Oh, and my folks still have it boxed up in my old room at their house. Someday I plan to unpack it just to play 'Impossible Mission' and 'Beachhead II' again. ;)

3) 1990. Wintel time. 386, 1 MB RAM, 1 MB Video RAM (somehow). First machine I played Civ on.

4) 1998. Pentium III, 128 MB RAM, Win98. Civ II and Civ III (mostly 3).

5) 2005. Athlon 3200, 2.20 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Civ IV.

Top Bottom