Civ Sitter

timberwolf4545

Chieftain
In order to save my marriage allow me to see the outside world, I think a civ sitter would be helpful. That's a timer you could set that would only allow you to play for like 30 minutes at a time and then lock the game for 8 hours or so. Sometimes I play for way too long, feel like I've waisted my time and then chuck the game for a week. Also, I think my level of play declines after several hours and impatience takes over. We all know that self control and civ are not concepts that mix easy.

Or maby just something along the lines of a game timer, that you can clearly see during play. Just so you know how long you've been there.

^That is good but you have to remember to check the time that you start playing.

i wish i had your problem, i'm too busy playin football at my highschool, personally i think civ is a lot more enjoyable and wouldnt like the timer cuz it would remind me of how little time i have to relax

Hahahaha, this is kind of funny. But in all honesty, it couldn't hurt to have a timer.

Man - it's totally funny. But Civ is so addicting that sometimes I need the cord pulled out of the wall and I'm a 31 year old insurance executive.

a clock sounds like a great idead that way i won't stay till midnight playing. You could set it for 1 hour and in 55 min. it gives u a warning and when the hour is up, wheter u like it or not it takes u to ur main page

A compulsory shutdown would be overkill for me - but a gentle reminder (or not so gentle) sometimes would be a really good idea, I tend to forget the time like any true civ fanatic..

Something like a popup: "Hey, stupid, you've been playing four hours straight - get a life!" with different texts could be really funny.. :D .. and help with the 'just one more turn' - syndrome... especially with repeat warnings of an increasingly abusive nature... :lol: :lol:

El Loco said:
a clock sounds like a great idead that way i won't stay till midnight playing. You could set it for 1 hour and in 55 min. it gives u a warning and when the hour is up, wheter u like it or not it takes u to ur main page

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah. A clock'd work. Not.

Marc (who has a clock above the computer, a watch, and a nagging wife and still spends way too much time playing Civ... :crazyeye:

Dragonlord said:
A compulsory shutdown would be overkill for me - but a gentle reminder (or not so gentle) sometimes would be a really good idea, I tend to forget the time like any true civ fanatic..

Nothing like a civ advisor telling you to take a break. :D

Stupid idea (no offense meant) :p

Why would the developers put in a feature to tell your to STOP playing?? Instead, there should be some feature loaded onto your computer during install that popups up and says something like "It has been 2 days since you played Civ. Shall I boot it up now?"

At some point, people have to learn to soem responsibility for their actions (action being playing civ tonger than the wife allows or wishes)

It's exceptionally stupid. But I think I would enjoy Civ more if it was easier to put down. I'm sure that statement could be debated up and down. It would be the kind of thing you would have to enable anyway, so a developer doing something like this is essentially just giving the people what they want. (if they choose to use it.) Also - it should make the Civ developers proud that this would be needed. They've made a game that is so addictive, that people have to be forced from playing it. I leant the game to a friend who after 3 days (which included a missed day of work) compared it to that game that hypnotized everyone on Star Trek The Next Generation.

What kind of ideas is this??

I'll say instead it should be so that when you try to quit, the game forces you to play a few more turns before giveing you the option of quiting the game for real. Of course then with lots of pop-up questions on weather you are absolutely sure that you don't want to play just one more turn.

Another option is to completely take away the option of exiting the game. Forceing people to use Ctrl+Alt+Delete....

Top Bottom