Civ still alive, no cities, conquest only

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Opies, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Opies

Opies Warlord

How are they still alive? Is it because they have a settler in a boat? Do I seriously have to hunt them down in a world with 70% water?

This is in my first game on monarch and im steamed about it right now:mad: especially because I have about 12 cities in disorder because I'm still warring their civilization

2. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Warlord

You're probably correct, they have a settler sailing the high seas. Can you make peace with them, maybe get a tech or sumtin?

3. Opies

Opies Warlord

I have a tech lead by 3 or 4 techs right now, and more gold than I know what to do with. I'm the only one in the industrial age, and as I said it's conquest only so I have to eliminate them at some point. I guess I will have to pump out some boats and find them. Seems silly they can live forever with a settler. Should be a turn limit before they are eliminated or something

4. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

Ally with the other AI civs and they will hunt the last settler for you :).

5. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

What Mursi said. Or make peace, gift them a city, steal their plans, find the settler, then attack them again.

6. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Make peace and forget about them. They will settle eventually..

I am sure there are a few other nations left for you to crush?

7. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Hmm, 12 cities in disorder and lots of money means you should probably push the luxury slider up a bit to make them happier.

Anyhow, peace with them, focus on the other civs. After a few cities has been burned, and there is space on the landmasses, the AI will be drawn in to settle there naturally.

If not, conquer the other civs, and then start spamming the waters with destroyers and search for them that way.

8. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

With that much disorder, the advice above is excellent.

Make peace with them and plan your next victim. At some point, they'll show up. When the diplomatic advisor tells you you can establish an embassy, do so. If you research Espionage after everybody else is dead, plant a spy and find them. The idiots might even trade a world map.

9. Opies

Opies Warlord

There is no land left to settle. Its a pangea and it is packed full. The only way to have open land would be for me to abandon cities.

My lux slider is at 30% right now, but their cities still have 100% unhappy citizens. I'm really not concerned about actually finding them; I think they are only in galleys so I just need to search shallow waters. Just unhappy about having to actually do it especially since I currently have zero war vessels in the water and am about to declare war on a neighbor.

Thanks for the tips. I will decide whether I want to make peace and lure them in, or search and destroy

on second thoughts, I could make some war vessels quick as I'm in a golden age and have several level 12 cities on the coast. (industrial golden age lol)

10. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Warlord

The point being, is it worth having 12 of your cities in disorder, and war weariness affecting the rest of your empire, just so you can kill that one settler? WW will continue to escalate the longer it lasts, until finally your cities move into anarchy and start destroying improvements. Better to make peace and not worry about them, and set your sights on the next target.

11. Opies

Opies Warlord

I see your point. I made peace with them and sent a few privateers around the globe. Found their ship made a DoW and sunk it. Just finished the game too.

Won my first monarch game :D
    standard pangea, 6 opponents, played as french, took me 7 hours and some though.. =| 249 turns i think

12. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Warlord

:goodjob:

It's always a good feeling moving up a level and getting that first win under your belt! Gratz!!:clap:

13. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

14. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

Congrats! :D

But I wonder, why were you playing for conquest with a government that has WW? :confused:

15. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

Only one question. Why did you declare war if you could sink the ship with pirates? You don't need to declare war if you are attacking with pirates.

16. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Warlord

I play conquest/domination in Republic every game.

17. Opies

Opies Warlord

I used to play as monarchy, but the commerce bonus from republic is too important to pass up, especially now that I am at monarch and need to spend extra cash to get the tech lead. I also had no iron anywhere even remotely close to me so I had to pay big bucks for it. But I don't know. I've only been playing a couple weeks, I need to experiment more. Also the game was almost over by the time I got to industrial age so I didn't bother going for communism/fascism

good question haha. I knew that but wasn't thinking about it at the time. Doesn't make much of a difference anyway I guess, the war ended that turn anyway

18. Nergal

Nergal Prince

I;ve had similar situations, if you ally with an AI then their boats will find and sink the settler in no time at all. My worst was control of the entire world apart from Seattle which was a 1-tile island, I kept bombarding it with artillery so it it had 2 red-lined spearmen as garrison and was size one but it took me 300 years to research to amphibious warfare.

19. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Just leave them be. If the land is packed full, they will probably settle in someone's lands, thus declaring war and getting their only city destroyed.

20. jj2008

jj2008 Chieftain

its true, they have a settler in a boat somewhere in the world. Its really annoying if they are civ that you just conquered, because all the people in the cities you conquered that are still nationals of that civ will be angry, and also there is the dreaded possibility that one of the distant cities with many foreign nationals will culture flip!

if you want to explore large amounts of the sea without using the slow boats, one way to do it is using your aeroplanes to do recon missions. another thing you can do is bribe all the other civs you are in contact with to declare war on them. then, no matter where there boat is, chances are the other civs will hunt it down and destroy it.