Civ Stories

I've been there. I used to just let them all do whatever they want because I wanted friendly relations, turns out they just find a reason to screw you over anyway.

In future if they're pissing you off, stop them!

However, I see you have a defensive pact with India who is her other neighbor. If that's still up and she declares again, it'll be much easier.

Oh that's the thing, I did have a defensive pact with india when portugal declared. She's at war with both of us.

But I can't tell if he's doing anything. Its been a while and he's at 0 warscore.

It takes a lot of effort to stop the ai past the settling stage! I guess its a force of habit that I thought a citidal and beelining for something like knights would allow me to take a city off her hands. Before, Shaka even went halfway across the map (he's way on the right side) joining Portugal earlier, so I gave on the siege on her land city.

It really is amusing to see how a set of circumstances lead up to a problem like this. Though it might also be the case that I'm so used to earlier spiking civs. That's why I kind of like civ stories in summing an experience! Just to do something fun

Something like shaka would be nice, or even Egypt! my head hurts

Last edited:
Still trying to git gud
but I'm tired
so no warring - only expand.
I play good man ethiopia
I didn't wanna contest land. Didn't happen.
She settled fast, and I couldn't stop her
But now its too late. Hardstuck between a rock and a hard place.
or at least, I've gotta go tall now
View attachment 471540
This is me giving up on winning war, I can white peace fortunately.
Been at war with portugal on and off the past 50 turns.
keeps declaring after peace
I managed to advance enough to get 2 citidals, one at a source of iron.
so she has to resort to pikeman.
I've got no iron other than that(pillaged), so all I've got is horsies
rushed knights.
Not enough.
freaken stalemate at the river
-can't seige her cities because I can't get near it.
trebuchets aren't fast enough, and I won't be getting cannons with no iron.
She got dromons behind too, so that's no fun
medieval warfare is hard
1st. Roads. If you want to bring havok to your neighbour, you need to get fast to her borders.
2nd. Iron. It looks as if you have no iron. You can't progress on rough terrain with knights alone, you'd need some ranged support and it's difficult to use on rough terrain. Not having swordsmen means that you need to play on defense. Pikemen + comp.bowmen (with medic promos), place them before rivers, and have roads to your chosen defensive positions so you can replace wounded units. Keep some knights in your flanks to help where it is more needed, but don't use them to hold positions if you can avoid it.
3rd. I'd say you have over extended. Hope you choosed Progress.

He has some iron, check Adwa.

I'd park some fortified footsoldiers in those citadels with a bit of support and then focus on Funchal, defeating Portugal reinforcements in more open terrain (and without dromon support); you can probably get Braga in the subsequent pace deal, and then Porto is doomed.

Some aggressive roads are definitely needed, and chop forests helping the enemy/limiting your line of sight.

1st. Roads. If you want to bring havok to your neighbour, you need to get fast to her borders.
2nd. Iron. It looks as if you have no iron. You can't progress on rough terrain with knights alone, you'd need some ranged support and it's difficult to use on rough terrain. Not having swordsmen means that you need to play on defense. Pikemen + comp.bowmen (with medic promos), place them before rivers, and have roads to your chosen defensive positions so you can replace wounded units. Keep some knights in your flanks to help where it is more needed, but don't use them to hold positions if you can avoid it.
3rd. I'd say you have over extended. Hope you choosed Progress.
Definitely advice I should have took.
1. I should have considered getting roads a bit earlier, but at the same time I didn't expect the war to become attrition like so fast.
2. I got no iron sources despite overextending myself on so many hills. Twas sad twist of fate. I got a city-state ally with 2 iron, but I won't be allies for that long. I could use the 6 iron I got from the citidal when I peace, but that's no good
3. Oh I went down to fraternity in the right side of progress. Then, went down the right side of authority, saving honor. So, i'm doing well for how much I've over extended.

Thanks randomnub, too.
Oh, I did play out a save with trebuchets to funchal, but as expected, she got castles there real quick. It would take a lot of resources to take funchal, but that's probably the only option I got. I probably won't go any further than that because no peace deal will take 15 pop cities away without threatening the capital. I would have to wait until my uu and field guns to go through the land layout she has.

Anyways, I'm happy with how I played and satisfied with leaving it at that - a lesson for the future. I like the new patch. (I lost my autosaves, from starting a different game... How do I stop that auto deletion?)

I am definitely a bit out of touch. I forgot to get any archers in the beginning of my defense, nor did I train anyone with medic, nor did I stop portugal from forward settling. A whole bunch of things. It all adds up.

In game options somewhere, you can set how many autosaves you'd like to make maximum, along with how many turns in between each save.[/QUOTE]

Yeah tried it and still the same. Indonesia isn't in my game either if that matters.

This CTD upon loading a game has happened before numerous times. Always in late game. I'm suspecting epic speed is just too much. Very sad about it.
You can try to load with firetuner launched (and enabled in the conf file).

• Be England again with 22 civs on a huge map.
  • I'm on a continent with the most civs ever.
  • Everyone founds a religion in this continent. There is literally 12 undiscovered without a religion.
  • Can't explore ocean and can't spread my colonialism to them.
  • Realize Byzantine is in the game with 10 cities compared to everyone's 5 cities.
  • Byzantine Empire has been in a huge religious struggle.
  • Haven't founded a religion yet and founds Taoism on the same continent.
  • Holy shoot
  • This is one of the best AI because it chose pagoda.
  • Theodora now reaps in all of the benefits from 7 religions.
  • 100 turns later, Theodora goes from low on the scoreboard to the highest.
  • It's the renaissance year, those 12 undiscovered? Discovered. World Congress initiates.
  • World Religion: Taoism proposed by Theodora.
  • As usual world religions don't get passed especially with one in such a late religion.
  • It passes.
  • My reaction when uncultured and nonreligious civilization who don't care for two sanction proposal would rather vote for Taoism.
  • Theodora snowballs and start a crusade.
  • She now owns 4 religion.
  • My civilization is now experiencing Taoism's tranquility and the world will soon follow under her crusade of zealotry.

Pagodas has some unbelievable yields in situations like that. lol Although, I wish the yields actually count into the city. It goes straight to the the global yields or something

• Theodora and her stupid crusade(31 cities) is on an endless rampage. Every civilization on my continent have either capitulated or been wiped out from her.
  • The savages actually holds her in a naval stalemate for now...
  • She is the #1 denounced
  • What am I? I am a Venice now. My end is almost inevitable.
  • Last remaining superpower on the continent to actually contest her is Bismarck and his League of City-States(41 city-states started)
  • His League of City-States had had enough of being Theodora's crusade.
  • He and his 10 city-states begin the last war to end the crusade.
  • I send my zeppelins to observe the battlefield between them and hope to create some chokepoints.
  • World Congress goes up. The proposal to sanction Byzantium fails, she has too much population and thus delegates to be able to block her.
  • Clashes are made. I begin to contribute what little production toward the war effort by gifting units to Bismarck's Cahokia and Brussels which are fairly losing the fight.
  • Cahokia and Brussels has fallen.
  • Theodora gives them mercy and give them some sovereignty not by creating a puppet state or immediately annexing them, but creating a sphere of influence on them.
  • Bismarck and his 8 City-States are left. He loses the battle. His Great Generals are captured and surrendered.
  • Theodora caught onto me and demands my last luxuries.
  • I reluctantly accept and worry about the future of my empire.
  • Little does Theodora know is that Bismarck had actually created a Maginot line of citadels and forts thanks to his Imperialism policy.
  • If Theodora would break the defense, it would be a Pyrrhic victory. She would be too weakened to pursue onto Bismarck's cities..
  • leaving her with little troops to defend her homeland...
  • maybe perhaps England can reclaim her throne again...
  • or the Huns that's a continent away can probably declare war although I don't think I can bribe him with anything that'll make him.

Pagodas has some unbelievable yields in situations like that. lol Although, I wish the yields actually count into the city. It goes straight to the the global yields or something

No they go into the city. Otherwise, Theodora wouldn't be getting +14 production per pagoda and expanding so massively in a city.

Last edited:
I'm a baka - I swore that there was something off about what I understood about pagodas. Guess I didn't realize all the yields were under the religion label.

And wow the yields are good. Like, even for 2-3 different religions, it pays off so well. Although, I haven't quite understood the strategy to make them work well other than just having neighbors of different religions.

I would love to see a Maginot line of citadels created by the ai. I've seen quite a few strategic citadels by the ai in my games, but never quite that purposeful.

• Start up Mongolia on Prince instead of Deity with 22 civs, 41 city-states as usual.
  • Build up my infrastructure through Progress and Authority.
  • Start up a religion of Tengriism with the balanced Aul follower belief.
  • Get a slow production of Khans building up.
  • Notice Attila in my neighbor has been gobbling up civs like nothing.
  • I start annexing the city-state as soon as that UA's cooldown goes 0.
  • It's turn 200.
  • Apparently when I annexed my third city-state, the world will now fear my warmongering will dive us into a dark age.
  • Everyone starts denouncing like crazy.
  • Attila decides to be a good guy and confront my military.
  • I'm only 2 ranking below him, but I take him on.
  • I have 3 Khans and start my war from there. I station my Khans from Vatican City to start liberating the Hunnic puppet states of India, Karakorum to start devastating his navy and start naval blockades and Hsia to advance my army on his capital.
  • Three Campaigns Start:
    • Khan of Vatican City: Fully armed with trebuchets and knights ready to liberate India at a moment's second.
    • Khan of Karakorum: Caravels ready to go and harass his cargo ships to nearby city-states.
    • Khan of Hsia: Well-equipped army with a balanced combo of pikemen, longswordmen, and crossbowmen.
  • Khan of Vatican City
    • While the war begins in the east to the Huns, the Khan at Vatican City stationed his attacks to start attacking the north-east where Attila had recently conquered India.
    • If this war goes successful, Khan of Hsia will receive additional reinforcement from the north when invading Attila's capital.
    • One problem is that the majority of the Hunnic army had just conquered India and their army were still there.
    • This will take the best of my tactics to lure out the enemy and quickly start liberating India to push them for a quick border push.
  • Khan of Karakorum
    • While Vatican City's forces push onward into India, Karakorum will begin coastal raids toward the southern end of the Huns and begin harassing their coastal ports.
    • This should prompt a distraction and divert some of the forces in India to run toward the south for assistance.
  • Khan of Hsia
    • Hsia will begin a march toward the capital and force a capitulation considering Attila had conquered 4 capitals, but haven't take any capitulation.
    • It will be a hard battle, but if successful will provide us the decisive victory.
  • Karakorum's Forces immediately finds Kyzyl that was recently conquered by Attila. We go in for a simple "puppet state"
  • The Huns are distracted and their forces from the north appearing moving toward the South from my scouts.
  • Vatican City begins the liberation of India.
  • Within 10 turns, 2 Indian cities have been liberated already.
  • Meanwhile Karakorum's forces are literally smashed apart from the new inventions of the Ship of the Line from Attila's allies. The Khan makes a heroic sacrifice for a citadel and thus begin the blockade of Kyzyl.
  • With only 2 caravels left and the remaining force of Karakorum consisting of 2 longswordmen. They die to the last man. Meanwhile...
  • Vatican City's forces had met major resistance with no future liberation efforts being successful. The Khan there goes on the defense and realize any liberation efforts would cause a loss in men.
  • War Weariness has grown significantly. The Campaign of Hsia may not happen.
  • The Khan of Hsia waits, but notices something peculiar.
  • Despite the Mongolia borders and Huns' borders touch, there hasn't been any attack.
  • Aha! I launch a counter of attack through Hsia's forces. Pillaging every tiles I can find for my two campaigns remained unsuccessful and needed to force a peace treaty.
  • He had left his capital unprotected. The Khan of Hsia quickly charged in and began to decimate the capital's defenses.
  • The Blockade of Kyzyl succeeds and the Hunnic force has won their recently-conquered city-state again.
  • News has been on the run however that Attila's Court was under siege. Southern Hunnic reinforcement rush from the south quickly.
  • Realizing the Khan of Hsia was trapped and would be outnumbered, he began his last attack with only 8 men of longswordmen(15 HP) and thus the capital fell.
  • Attila's Court has fallen. Attila was captured and forced a capitulation within 3 turns. Victory was at hand.
  • I soon skyrocketed from 4th to 1st with Attila as my vassal.
  • Everyone soon noticing this who first soon thought Attila the warmonger would stop me the Mongols from expanding had soon realized Mongolia had expanded massively now. Attila's army was still intact and anyone daring to fight a war for "peace" would find themselves to be at peace.
  • Long live Tengriism!
  • Also India asked for independence and I put him down.

Top Bottom