Civ Tech Tree

sigmakan

Warlord
I posted this over on the offical Firaxis forums, but I figured this was a more appropriate place for it anyway since eventually this site will be the central discussion of CivRev strategies. I recorded all the techs available in the demo with what they do, how many beakers, and what you get for getting it first.

Alpha Version:

Cost Version:

One thing I noticed in my most recent game is that I think the bonuses that apply to every city also apply to cities founded after you got the bonus. This is HUGE, especially for the Irrigation bonus (+1 population). Beelining for this tech seems like a viable strategy, because getting it will help your growth immensely.

Also, I'm going to try and get some info on the advance techs that are still locked in the demo but it may be harder now with a new map(and Cleo doesn't start with Colussus :(). I'll try to keep you guys updated, but if anyone figures out info about the advance techs please post below.

Thanks!

I don't remember everything exactly that was unlocked by these techs but the bonuses for first to:

corporation is +5 gold in each city
communism is -33% factory cost
mass production is a free modern infantry

You can get locked technologies by finishing the tech tree then discovering atlantis.

You should repost this in the new strategy and tips section also. Nice work.

I don't remember everything exactly that was unlocked by these techs but the bonuses for first to:

corporation is +5 gold in each city
communism is -33% factory cost
mass production is a free modern infantry

You can get locked technologies by finishing the tech tree then discovering atlantis.

You should repost this in the new strategy and tips section also. Nice work.

Yea I was trying to do the Atlantis thing, but I accidentally stumbled on the next to it while trying to backfill some techs and I ended up with worthless techs like Ceremonial Burial, Masonry and something else. Now I can't try that amazing Egypt start anymore because the map changed :(

EDIT: Oh I didn't realize there was a strategy section up already! If a mod could move this topic there that would be great!

great job man. thanks. I found it a little hard to recognize the contents of the techs.( Im sure that would be fixed with a civilopedia though. )

Hi sigmakan,

I have created the page for technologies based on the information in this chart (although it isn't public yet), but I am wondering when/if you plan to update this for all technologies (that is, do you plan on getting the game at a certain date?). Also, if anyone else has other technologies and their corresponding info and wants to post it here, that would be great. This chart has been really helpful. :goodjob:

the only one that i think you forgot was the the one that gives you the free airplane fighters, to bad i cant remember what it was called.

Yes, Democracy and CoL can't give the free bonus in the demo because of the Romans and the Greeks being present.

PS has anyone figured out exactly how the Tech tree Works? ie what is required to unlock a specific tech (besides at least one of the Prerequisites, what aspect of chance is involved, etc.)

PS has anyone figured out exactly how the Tech tree Works? ie what is required to unlock a specific tech (besides at least one of the Prerequisites, what aspect of chance is involved, etc.)

Still a mystery to me. The manual says "It is possible to research a new technology as soon as you have researched at least one of its prerequisite techs. Researching a tech before you know all of its prerequisite techs increases the new tech's research time, however."
Both these statements appear to be incorrect. If we needed only one prereq to research a tech, a military win would require only two techs: Riding > Feudalism. As for the assertion about increased cost, I just got offered the "jump" from Alphabet straight to Literacy or Laws, and chose Literacy. The listed cost was 90 beakers. I then bought Writing from the AI, and the cost for Literacy remained at 90.

Well I think
1. At least one prerequisite IS required
2. Techs probably require a specific ERA to be reached before they can be researched
3. There may be a chance element
4. More prerequisites probably increases the chance that you will be able to research a tech

I think it's one of the direct pre-requisites. So basically one of the techs that directly (not via another tech) link (white line) to the target tech .

I read somewhere it works on an OR method, not AND like previous civs. So like I said, only one of the direct pre-req's is required.

In the tech tree there are different sections, for instance you start with access to the first section. I think to reach the next section, you need a technology from the section before that section. Then to research the individual technologys you need to have researched one of the technologys that is connected to it by a white arrow.

I was testing a bit earlier as the Greeks and Chinese. I got Irrigation every time after I research pottery. Construction sometimes needed just Masonary and others both techs. Maths needed boths techs every time. Horseback Riding never opened Feudalism. The Chinese writing opened up new techs while the Greeks democracy didn't. I'm leaning towards a chance everytime you get a pre-requisites provided the unlocked tech is in your current or past era group. I'll need to try leaving Horseback Riding until I get to the middle ages. Me getting Irrigation shows that some techs might be easier to unlock with one pre-requisites or that the RNG was having fun.

It would make sense to do something like

Tech knowledge is acquired

Check Locked techs that the tech you just reseached connects to

IF Tech is in current or previous Era
Unlock tech with chance=# of Prerequisites known / # of Prerequisites tech has*

*Prerequisites might be Weighted here (probably based on how high level they are, or their cost)

That way
1. once all prerequisites are known the tech is unlocked
2. the tech will not be unlocked unless a prerequisite is researched

Hi sigmakan,

I have created the page for technologies based on the information in this chart (although it isn't public yet), but I am wondering when/if you plan to update this for all technologies (that is, do you plan on getting the game at a certain date?). Also, if anyone else has other technologies and their corresponding info and wants to post it here, that would be great. This chart has been really helpful. :goodjob:

Well at one point was planning on importing the game, but they wouldnt take my credit card so unfortunately I have to wait until July 8th to get the game. If someone else wants to finish up the techs then feel free to do so, but I'll probably be finishing up my spreadsheet once I get the game.

Top Bottom