Civ V - Beta 2

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

*There is no Civ V HOF Mod as of yet, so please play these games in the spirit of the Civ IV Hall of Fame Rules. Please review these before playing.

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Space (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: King
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Archipelago
  • Speed: Epic
  • Civ: America
  • Opponents: Any, 7 opponents only, default option (8 civs in total), 16 City States only
  • Resources: Standard
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians, New Random Seed, Random Personalities
  • Date: 10th October to 10th November 2010

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

While each map can only be played once, players are more than welcome to generate new maps and submit multiple games. Also, as everyone is playing their own distinct maps, there is no need for spoiler limitation within the thread. In fact, we encourage detailed posting of strategy and gameplay.

To qualify for this gauntlet please complete your game and post both your 4000BC save and your turn after victory save in this thread.

Another test game, to check out how Civ V works and whether there are any bugs/exploits we need to be aware of.

In Civ IV, space was mainly about getting plenty of cities to generate plenty of beakers, rushing through the tech tree and having max production, this still the case???

Results:

1 pagh80 1460
2 tommynt 1470
3 Yannarosh 1535
4 ssjos 1560
5 avl8 1716
6 iggymnnr 1716
7 milk milk 1722
8 Bullrog 1726
9 mcmpan 1730
10 youralex 1740
11 Sarassin 1752
12 Sumorex 1758
13 Neuro 1766
14 sanabas 1770
15 The Lock 1780
16 playshogi 1788
17 vitorbaixinho 1794
18 Chuvi 1832
19 Harrumph 1842
20 vcdragoon 1847
21 dark defender 1861
22 TravisFreeman 1861
23 t0b4cc0r04d 1861
24 OTAKUjbski 1865
25 vontos 1869
26 Harrumph 1880
27 Xger 1884
28 IneffableBob 1897
29 Hauss 1897
30 Harvie 1901
31 tissue 1903
32 belengthy 1914
33 Kaigero 1924
34 Moindardt 1933
35 Xicivilian 1936
36 aTobin 1943
37 Sultanico 1948
38 Aybara 1948
39 kcd_swede 1970
40 Suliz 1971
41 kmtravis 1982
42 Fnugus 1984
43 Boukev 1986

Ohh im looking foward to this. :D
Space race victories was my favorite in Civ IV. Mainly cause it required a combination of everything to be successful.(warmongering, expansion, city planning.. you name it.

Space should be... interesting.

Similar tactics should suffice for the early game... GL push to Civil Service, pop out horsemen and conquer your continent, abuse the heck out of Maritime CS (won't need to bother with Cultural anymore). It'll be nice to be able to annex cities and settle new ones!

Wonders
--------
Great Library
Chichen Itza
Forbidden Palace
Hanging Gardens (maybe)
Porcelain Tower
Taj Mahal
Statue of Liberty (maybe)

Social Policies
-------------
I probably will save all my CP for Patronage and Order. Maybe puppet everything till you get Industrial, buy Order, and then start annexing.

Good luck all!

Hmm, didn't notice the Archipelago start. Might make the conquest approach a bit less feasible.

This sounds like a fun way to motivate myself to play some games to the end - I've got the new game fever, and every time I sit down to play I think of some new settings I want to play on. I have only finished one game of Civ 5 so far, heh.

Quick question: the civ 4 HOF page talks about signing up for the HOF system to do submissions. Do we need to register on there, or are we gonna do everything through this thread? Oh, and another one: is it okay to 'reroll' the map if you decide you don't like the start position or the early game doesn't go well?

edit: one last question: I'm assuming since there's a "must not be checked" list, any other custom options not mentioned are up to us?

----

another edit: started a game and played to 500bc. So far, things aren't going terribly, but they could be better.

The good:

-I completed my GL -> Civil Service slingshot around 1000bc, and immediately grabbed commerce. I'm working on Compass now.
-I started alone on a pretty big island, and even scored a couple grassland/river tiles by my capital for some nice food production.

The bad:

-I was a bit late getting early happiness techs and had to grab Masonry->Construction and buy a Colosseum to stabilize. Because of this, I'm only at 3 cities and a bit nervous about expanding further too quickly.
-I've only met one CS and no rival civs yet. Isolation sucks, no tech trading or research treaties :(

I am 50 turns into my second attempt. Explored my rather meager landmass, here's what it looks like:

Spoiler :

Not a bad starting spot, got Marble for any wonders, some nice forests and such, and most importantly, the three CS on my island are all Maritime! I just completed the GL to grab Civil Service. I actually finished the GL about 8 turns before I finished researching Philosophy, because in my first attempt, I missed GL by 2 turns and abandoned the game. This time, as soon as I finished Trapping and started in Philo, I let the GL finish, and kept hitting Shift-Enter to skip picking the free tech till Philo finished. No more AI beating me to the GL!

I'm taking a short break, trying to decide if I want to build Stonehenge or Oracle. While I'm not going for the culture win, I'd still like to fill up Patronage and Order, and it'll be slower if I have no culture generation. I'm thinking Stonehenge would be a better investment, assuming I can get to it in time.

Oh, and I met another civ. Bismark is off to the north, I saw his scout on a tiny piece of land and we said hello. I know who I'm going to go visit with my Horsey Brigade in about 40-50 turns!

And I'm going to have to restart. I failed to notice this was EPIC speed. Makes a HUGE difference.

Quick question: the civ 4 HOF page talks about signing up for the HOF system to do submissions. Do we need to register on there, or are we gonna do everything through this thread?

You'll only need to register there once the beta HoF is open for submissions. Until then, it'll just be threads like this to gather more info for how to open it.

Oh, and another one: is it okay to 'reroll' the map if you decide you don't like the start position or the early game doesn't go well?

Roll an entirely new map? yep. Start again on the same map? nope.

edit: one last question: I'm assuming since there's a "must not be checked" list, any other custom options not mentioned are up to us?

Yep

Doh, as someone else just mentioned. It is epic speed....I didn't notice. Just had a crappy 1905 on regular speed. Oh well, guess that means I will have even more time to wreak havoc with a scout upgraded to a mech infantry....lol.

On the bright side, you won't have to worry about the AI players on an archipelago map. So an actual tech beeline without worrying about war should work well (unless you want to conquer some patsies for their cities.)

Worth playing.

One basic tip for people: build a library and the special library building in the capital before planting a second city. It drastically accelerates the early game. Even better if you buy the library and just build wonders.

So I see one potential issue with this gauntlet and one potential exploit.

Issue: Sometimes research agreements can get locked. I played several games trying to see how fast I could get to the end of the tech tree and on at least one occasion I had RAs get locked so that I didn't get my free tech and I could no longer form RAs with that Civ. I really don't want to have to restart because RAs get locked with one of the Civs when I'm 200-300 turns into the game. RAs are so useful for teching that I think they will be necessary to win this quickly.

Exploit:Are we allowed to declare war in order to rush a research agreement? Currently there is a bug that gives you the tech even if you just started the RA that turn. And for that matter, what if the AI declares war on us? There's nothing we can do to stop this from happening and the result will still be getting a free tech before we're supposed to. Is there even a way to check if this happened from an end game save?

Exploit:Are we allowed to declare war in order to rush a research agreement? Currently there is a bug that gives you the tech even if you just started the RA that turn. And for that matter, what if the AI declares war on us?

certainaly was very explored in Gauntlet I

Heheh, I never entered into a Research Agreement in my later games in G1 cause I needed the cash for City States. Plus, I always got something I didn't want like Bronze Working.

Can we make changes to world age, temperature and rainfall?

I figure setting the age to 3 billion for more hills, temp to hot and rainfall to high for more jungles for da science bonus.

Curious about how some of you might settle this start i got, right on top of one of the silver? or on the hill i started on? pretty decent start i think.

HoF_America.JPG

I'd reload, personally. Being on a hill means you can't get Windmill, and no Marble means you'll be slow building Wonders.

Nearly every start I saw on Archipelago w/America had me next to a coast with a river, so you should restart till you get marble + not on a hill.

Issue: Sometimes research agreements can get locked. I played several games trying to see how fast I could get to the end of the tech tree and on at least one occasion I had RAs get locked so that I didn't get my free tech and I could no longer form RAs with that Civ. I really don't want to have to restart because RAs get locked with one of the Civs when I'm 200-300 turns into the game. RAs are so useful for teching that I think they will be necessary to win this quickly.
Not much we can do about that.

Exploit:Are we allowed to declare war in order to rush a research agreement? Currently there is a bug that gives you the tech even if you just started the RA that turn. And for that matter, what if the AI declares war on us? There's nothing we can do to stop this from happening and the result will still be getting a free tech before we're supposed to. Is there even a way to check if this happened from an end game save?
You can't avoid what the AI does but you can control what you do. Please avoid this exploit.

Can we make changes to world age, temperature and rainfall?

I figure setting the age to 3 billion for more hills, temp to hot and rainfall to high for more jungles for da science bonus.
If the setting isn't specifically mentioned in the OP, then it is optional.

Top Bottom