1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V Cracked Already

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Woobi, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

As a matter of fact i have NEVZER downloaded an illegal mp3- I purchase all the art I own/use/enjoy legally or go see it for free at festivals, etc...

I have paintings hanging in my home, some sculpture, and all the music I listen to is completely legally accessed. I do not pirate games, nor my OS, nor any software... I believe in paying artists and those who create the objects/ideas I use.

I also bought a car and a house which I can afford, not something I cannot realistically pay for.

If I cannot afford things, I do without them.

What is your point? :confused:

2. jened

jened Warlord

ummm pirates are the reason for copy protection duh ...

Honest people suffer

Thanks a lot pirates

3. epicivfreak

epicivfreak Warlord

Well, that's sort of the problem, isn't it...?
    I go to launch steam on my computer, it gives me a message saying steam is not available, then the program closes. I then go to the steam website, uninstall steam, reinstall steam and it works fine, until I try to launch steam again, and it's the same ol' :):):):), every cycle is the same. I eventually got tired of the uninstall/reinstall process and will never use steam again because of it, and will tell this story to everyone who will listen to try to discourage them from using steam.
    This is what DRM is doing. These software companies try to control piracy only to make situations where people like me who would have paid for civ5, but due to these stupid attempts to control piracy with DRM and all the little problems they create make spending my money on it pointless, and I will now instead be forced to pirate it if I want to play it. DRM creates pirates, it doesn't deter them, it doesn't stop piracy for anything more than a few days - Period. Utterly :):):):)ing pointless.

Moderator Action: inserting characters/smilies to evade the autocensor is still posting profanity.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

4. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Please do not use foul language. If you trigger the autocensor, please edit & rephrase using clean language. Especially, please do not selectively edit swearwords to dodge the autocensor
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

5. rschissler

rschissler King

I guess if you were moral and honest, you would be forced to buy it!

6. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Have you even used it? Is your hatred based on any rational evidence and experiences?

You might have said it earlier but.. have you ever even USED Steam? I suggest you give it a good solid try out for a few days, maybe with the Civ5 demo?

That is just you. I have used Steam since 2006 iirc and I have NEVER had that problem. Steam has a peak user usage of over 2.5 MILLION people every day. I recommend you check the steam help section on VALVe's website, because the problem is something on your computer.

On the contrary, they don't. I find the advantages of Steam are most excellent and pleasing. I always run Steam and launch my games (even non-steam ones) through Steam so i can use the Steam Community in game.

7. valrond

valrond Chieftain

The problem isn't the pirates, I "pirate" some games, I buy the games I like, I have a lot of games I haven't even started playing, I bought them cause it was a good offer and I liked them.

The problem is that the anti-piracy system only harms the paying customers. The REAL pirates, guy that NEVER pay for games, they won't buy those games, they'll just wait or play something else.

What I'm sick and tired is of paying for my games and finding that it's better to get the pirate version, no DRM, no disc check, etc.

Ubisoft crossed the line, and it lost a lot of sales. I'm not buying anything with that DRM. At all.

My favorite legal site is gamersgate, no need to install any additional software and paradox titles are DRM free. I also like Impulse, but not as much, as you have to install the application.

Moderator Action: Advocating piracy violates the site's "zero tolerance" policy. Setting yourself up as an example is clearly advocacy.

8. Bridger

Bridger Prince

The people who have issues with steam are the smallest minority. Steam has been out for a very long time and when it first came out it was buggy as hell. The thing is so polished now I can see my reflection in it.

If you are one of the unlucky few who have problems with steam, that is a legitimate concern. You know what else a minority of people have problems with? Launching ANY game they buy. I guarantee you that Civ IV had people screaming bloody murder in the tech support forums because it would crash on start, or not load saved games, or whatever. That is still a minority of people who have some kind of conflict. What did they do? Give up and say "i'll never buy sid games again?" Or did they search for a solution until they found it and then were able to play?

Go to the steam support site and figure out your problem, fix it, and stop complaining. EVERY piece of windows software has issues with SOMEBODY. It's going to happen. When it happens to you it SUCKS, but you find the solution and fix it.

9. HamTard

HamTard Warlord

That's still wrong. They don't like the terms of sale so they steal it, that's not a moral justification, that's still stealing. If you want the game but don't want Steam, I understand that there could be a temptation to steal it but instead you should just live without the game (as you've done, good for you). That's how things are supposed to be, but the internet sense of entitlement has people thinking if they want something a certain way and it isn't, that's somehow justification for stealing.

10. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

Right now, governments of the world are simply collecting information on who is stealing what. One day down the road they will show up at your front door to haul you off to jail.

11. Cão

Cão Chieftain

Well.... I´m the minority who likes Steam. I live in Brazil, and games are cheaper from Steam, and I got Civ as soon at it was released worldwide.

but.............

Civ V on Steam are pissing me... It took ages to start to the menu and it is only starting the game if I´m online. I´m having problems with internet these days, and I´m having problems to start steam....

All the games I have works perfectly.

Maybe I can download the prate version to play offline.... humm.... (joking...)

12. aryah

aryah Chieftain

Technically copyright infringement, not theft. The latter is a criminal act, the former a matter of civil suits, and in all jurisdictions afaik its a far lesser offense.

So no piracy is in hard fact not stealing, unless one equivocates the meaning of that word.

There's nothing great about piracy, but this discussion is blowing things far out of proportion.

when enough people want something AND they can get it, they generally will. In average, economics >> morality, like in other areas.

13. Yushal

Yushal Chieftain

Yes. :crazyeye:

14. Vladesch

Vladesch Warlord

Depends what you mean by effective. In my case they were effective at losing a sale which they would have otherwise made. I ended up getting the game for free anyway, but only played a few hours because the game didnt draw me in. Thankyou Ubisoft for convincing me to save my money. I will not support a company that uses such draconian DRM, nor will I jump through the hoops for them or swallow limited activations.

As for civ5, I ordered the game about a week ago, and it should be arriving later today (I hope). Im happy to support the production of a game such as civ 5 which I will probably play for many hours, and I can live with steam, but if they had done something like Ubisoft then I would have just pirated it and paid nothing.

In the meantime until my box arrives, Ive been running the torrent version (I didnt want to wait :p) and there is a lot of misinformation on this thread. It doesnt crash every 30 minutes like someone said (In fact with about 15 hours played it hasn't crashed once), and if it has viruses/trojans they dont detect or show any signs of existing. Actually Ive torrented a lot of things and are yet to find malware on any of them. Lastly, Ive seen instructions (which others have confirmed works) to update and play online. I haven't bothered because I just play SP, and I cant be bothered when Ill be installing the legit version in the next day or so anyway.

I guess talk of viruses and crashing every 30 minutes is probably done out of a sense of loyalty to try and scare potential pirates away, but I think Id prefer to see these forums used for accurate discussion rather than an aid to take two's failed attempt at copy protection. They need to take a leaf out of stardock's book. (whose games I also buy even though they are so easily pirated)

Not so sure buying Elemental was a great idea, but that's another story....

15. SkepticalSinner

SkepticalSinner Chieftain

:D

Best DRM in the world - slightly less than smart AI?

Seriously though, I heard somewhere the pre-release AI seemed smarter, wouldn't that be the best kind of DRM LOL

16. Poddy

Poddy Chieftain

Ignorance of the law really does not help matters. If you seriously believe your own statement, you are deluded.

17. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Please, by all means feel free to elaborate and explain.

18. TheTalentedGame

TheTalentedGame Chieftain

Does anyone remember when BTS was on the net a gobbsmacking 10 days before it even hit the shelves?

I'm not impressed at all I had to wait. Even the yanks where playing before me!

19. lobf

lobf Chieftain

I'm glad I haven't payed for the game yet, I'll say that much.

20. Robert_Marshall

Robert_Marshall Chieftain

Seriously? That is success? If we are only talking about money, then I seriously doubt it. There is no way they protected there investment if it only bought them a few days. Disgruntled customers are eventually going to mean money as well. I had never used Steam before and see some big advantages to it. I don't however like being forced to use it. It just adds another layer to go wrong. I am not having too much trouble with it so far, but it is a layer I would rather not deal with.

On a related note, does anyone know how to register two copies with steam? I purchased two copies so that we can play on two computers at the same time (and/or against each other) and Steam wont let me register the second copy. Do I HAVE TO create a second Steam account? Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.