Civ V getting stale...any tips?

BukoJuko

Chieftain
I play on Immortal mostly... Emperor is a walkthrough and Diety seems a little too tough immortal I feel is a good balance between winning/losing

I can beat diety if I really want to (OCC cultural victory or something equally boring)

I play around with different maps and civs but the problem is..I always play about the same

NC rush and then either A-expand into a few cities or B-rush IW and take a few cities..i also always rush meritocracy and get stonehenge or something...

It is getting a little bit old...I just recently bought all the DLC in hopes that it would mix it up and the new civs and maps are nice but its still really the same game..

does anyone have any tips to get back into the game more? Im not really that great of a player so I dont really know alot of different efficient openings and alot of times i just go for what feels right but its usually the same..

I have thought about just playing diety and losing so that at least the games are short.

Another problem that I have is that I usually start new games before finishing old ones..I have also been playing on marathon more lately and I enjoy that a little bit more

I have finished maybe 2 games since I started playing Civ V again. I have fun with the early stuff... then lost interest later. It's weird. My interest was piqued with the 1000 beaker city challenge. I like the idea of playing for fun challenges rather than necessarily to win.

As Gandhi said, you should try a few challenges, for example, you could go as Arabia in a Pangea map, and start Liberty > Free Settler, start Expanding Non-stop taking all the luxuries you can get, then sell them all, see how much money you can get and when you get bored or win the game, spend it all on nukes :banana:

I'm kind of in a similar position and some things to try apart from the challenge ideas

1) Deliberately do the opposite of what you normally do (at the start) and see if you can still win
e.g. skip NC & REX go MC for early hammers
2) Try out different war strategies based on UUs/UAs etc
e.g. play defensive but rush to artillery then wipe everyone out or
Use Askia for Man Cav rush
There are a ton more and some not so obvious - eg German barb farm or German rifle rush based on cheap :hammers: cost of UU that u then upgrade
3) Look up the thread on caravel -> logistics war
4) Try archi map
5) Try different SP paths - eg have you ever used Autocracy
6) See the Gauntlet and GOTM threads - e.g. quickest way to win science on lower levels (more fun than you think since different strategy required when AIs don't roll in :gold:
7) Check out the threads on 1 vs many AIs (ie team the AIs)
For me, kinda like Civ 4 before BTS the late game seems to lack spice

I know this feelings. I had them with Civ4 at the end. I'm afraid, after playing enough time, *every* game will come to this point. At least, the Civ series is more immune to this than most other games...

And I think, that CiV has even better possibilities to try new things than Civ4, as the Civs are more diverse. When I start a game with a new civ, I try to do some "roleplaying".
Say: As Süleyman I., follow the Religious SoPo tree. Avoid this while playing Harun al-Rashid. Try to follow the Autocrathy tree as the Germans (something I still want to try, but I'll wait and hope this tree changes wicht the next patch).
As ifinem said, *use* the Civ's UA and UUs to the extend: As Washington, REX like hell. Conquer all CSs as the Mongols...

Really, there are *so* many different ways to play CiV! The limitation only exists in your own mind and will to try something different than the well known (and effective) way to victory.

Well, with a new patch coming (hopefully) soon, things will hopefully change.

I also feel NC start is getting pretty boring. I'm hoping a patch will spice things up and increase our early game options.

i checked out that caravel logistics game..seemed cool...and i have been messing around with the GOTM stuff..lots of good advice here, thanks..

I do like that early game ALOT more than middle and late game although I have had loads of fun a few times with rocket artillery and nukes etc etc

Starting in indrustial Marathon, Modern Marathon gamaes did the trick for me.
Finally Panzer and Zero are good units :)

switching to marathon a while back renewed my interest. everything became more meaningful and eventful- UA's, wonders, wars, etc,

Take a break, play something else. You'll eventually come back, and when you do it'll hold your interest again.

i enjoy the hall of fame gauntlet games (the gminor and gmajor stickied at top).

trying to figure out the route to fastest victory under a predefined set of conditions appeals to me.

You have the DLCs.. try the scenarios instead of the standard game. They add some interesting twists, and change the game substantially.. e.g. the social policies in the Kamehameha scenario are nothing like those in the base game.

Try playing on a couple glasses of wine (if you are of age) - things tend to get a bit more challenging and far more amusing...

Try civ4:beyond the sword. Seriously, if you have not played it, it can be ten times more challenging than civ5. Eventually your games all start to look alike and you figure out the best strategies for each map type and starting location etc, but it takes much longer than civ5 to figure those things out and man, it is a fun journey.

Also the amount of mods for civ4 is amazing, so even if you get bored of standard games there are a ton of cool map scripts, scenarios and even complete game changing mods like fantasy and space mods.

Try civ4:beyond the sword. Seriously, if you have not played it, it can be ten times more challenging than civ5. Eventually your games all start to look alike and you figure out the best strategies for each map type and starting location etc, but it takes much longer than civ5 to figure those things out and man, it is a fun journey.

Also the amount of mods for civ4 is amazing, so even if you get bored of standard games there are a ton of cool map scripts, scenarios and even complete game changing mods like fantasy and space mods.

It's kind of hard to transition back to IV. You have to get control of SoDs, health, religion... You can enjoy both, I do, but I'd take a few turns of "anarchy" (other games) before changing "civ"ics. :p

Top Bottom