1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V Hall of Fame - Beta Gauntlet 1

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Ozbenno, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

*There is no Civ V HOF Mod as of yet, so please play these games in the spirit of the Civ IV Hall of Fame Rules. Please review these before playing.

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Prince
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Continents
    • Speed: Normal
    • Civ: Arabia
    • Opponents: Any, 7 only, default option, 16 City States only
    • Resources: Standard
    • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians, New Random Seed, Random Personalities
    • Date: 29th September to 29th October 2010

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker. See the game thread for further details.

Good luck :goodjob:

2. Civ Masters CBR

Civ Masters CBR Chieftain

The earliest submission or the earliest ingame date? Sorry, I'm new to HOF...

Cya!

3. sirRon

sirRon Chieftain

The earliest finish date wins - so the earliest ingame date ^^ I'm new, too. :)

I think i'll try it and give my very best ;)

sirRon

4. gibson1314

gibson1314 Chieftain

I assume I can choose my opponents or does it have to be random draw?

5. waitingtoderail

waitingtoderail Chieftain

I just want to make sure here - 8 OPPONENTS? That is, 9 civs total including myself?

6. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

You can either choose your opponent or set it to random and let the game pick them for you.

Eight civs total. In other words, the default civs and city states for a standard size map.

7. This is Aru

This is Aru Chieftain

Is this even possible in Civ V?

8. Ozbenno

Just highlighting this is true. I have changed the posts here and in the HOF forum to reflect this clearer.

9. Civ Masters CBR

Civ Masters CBR Chieftain

One more noobish question... Where and in which form should I send the final saves?

Like... Is there a default name for sending? Do I post it on the forums? Send them to an specific email? Rar it? Zip it?

Thanks in Advance!

10. Methos

Until we get the HOF set up (mod and site), I suggest you post your save and any remarks you have about your game in the official game thread over in the HOF forums.

11. Ozbenno

If you go to the gauntlet thread in the Civ V Hall of Fame section, you can attach your 4000BC save and final save. There are already some in there, so just copy what others have done.

12. Dragros

Dragros Chieftain

Whoops, missed the post 2 up from me.. Moving my post there.

13. savannahguy

savannahguy Chieftain

I'm not sure if I qualified for the contest, was my 2nd play through on the game. Ended up getting United Nations vote and only had the Chinese left to subdue. Though I did drop an atomic bomb on them just before the UN vote to be funny. Also had future tech tree, which gave additional points.

settings:

Continents
    Ancient
    Normal Speed
    Map was standard

I can post the game save just before the UN vote if anyone wants to look at it.

was George Washington

14. Kordanor

Kordanor Warlord

I feel tempted trying this but there is one thing which stops me from that: Doesn't make the ability to save and load the game this whole Hall of Fame thing a little bit...not fun?

I mean I normally don't save/load the game, I want to live with the consequences of my decisions (or start over), but I guess save/load will probably be a main focus of HoF games...and that somewhat takes the fun.

15. Methos

I assume by save/load you mean save and reload from an earlier save? We don't allow that, but for now, we can only ask that other players not reload the game.

16. Kordanor

Kordanor Warlord

Yeah, I mean, as far as I understand all you give to the participants are general rules, but you can't track wether a game is reloaded or not.
    So basically I could start the game and scout the area to know where the ruins are. Then I reload and send some units right to these spots saving some time (I am not sure if the outcome of ruins is generated with the creation of the map or dependent on the RNG of the same turn). After that you could go full risk and as soon as an enemy attacks you, you load a few autosaves before and give some money to the potential attacker and so on. Same goes for wars of course, you save, attack, see that it wont work, load, build a few more units and attack after that so that you win. The "power" of saving and loading is the strongest thing you can have in such games, transforming any competition to a reloading-fest, minmaxing every turn.

And I really don't see how you can prevent that as long as the games are not hosted on observed servers, which of course would be a huge venture.

17. Methos

Let me be the first to inform you that CFC is more then just about Civ V. If you look around you'll see that there are forums for all the past Civ games too. You'll also notice that we have a HOF for both Civ IV and Civ III which has their own servers and a Civ IV Hof mod, thereby handling the above cheats.

Having said that, let me remind you that Civ V has only recently come out and as in previous versions, it'll take us a little time to get our HOF site setup and mod released, so you'll have to be patient.

18. Kordanor

Kordanor Warlord

Ah, alright. Didn't know that.
    Sorry, if you feel offended, wasn't my intention.