Civ V has been crashing Steam for me...

gfeier

King
...since the last update. If anybody has a suggestion how to fix it, I would appreciate it. I tried deleting everything but Steam Apps as suggested and reloading but that didn't work. My support request has not been answered and I sent in another one today.

...and I'm not getting any help from anyone. Steam hasn't come up with anything that works, 2K says it's Aspyr's problem (I have a ticket open with them) and the fix i found here (which was the same as Steam suggested didn't work in several tries. Can anyone here tell me what happens if I delete Civ V entirely? Will I be able to redownload the game for free? Will I lose my achievements and hall of fame info or can I save them somewhere under a different name?

...and I'm not getting any help from anyone. Steam hasn't come up with anything that works, 2K says it's Aspyr's problem (I have a ticket open with them) and the fix i found here (which was the same as Steam suggested didn't work in several tries. Can anyone here tell me what happens if I delete Civ V entirely? Will I be able to redownload the game for free? Will I lose my achievements and hall of fame info or can I save them somewhere under a different name?

You can redownload for free, and you won't lose your achievements. Saving HoF is different, however.. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't know how.

Thanks, forty2j. How does that work exactly? Do I just delete the Civ V application? If so, how do I redownload it?

Thanks, forty2j. How does that work exactly? Do I just delete the Civ V application? If so, how do I redownload it?

Assuming you've either preserved or don't care about HoF.. you find the folder and delete it. When you go back into Steam and try to play it will start installing.

Well I finally had the time to delete everything and start over. The game works, but the Hall of Fame is gone, as I expected. Aspyr just now responded to my question about where the info is, and I'll try to restore it from my Time Machine backup.

Edit: they told me where the game saves are stored, not the Hall of Fame info. I delete my saves after I finish a game which doesn't affect the Hall of Fame info, and I'm still trying to find out where that is stored. Anybody here know?

Gotta love it! I finally called Aspyr after they replied to the wrong question again and didn't tell me where the Hall of Fame information was stored. While I was on the phone, I was screwing around in my Time Machine backup and found it. At the same time Aspyr was telling me it couldn't be restored, I was restoring it - and it worked! For future info, the file is HallOfFameDatabase.db and I found it in the Replays folder on Time Machine. :D

Top Bottom