Civ VI - Beta Gauntlet III

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

*There is no Civ VI HOF Mod as of yet, so please play these games in the spirit of the >> Civ V HOF rules <<. Please review these before playing.

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Religious (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emporer
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Island Plates
  • Speed: Normal
  • Leader: Catherine (France)
  • Opponents: Any, (default number of opponents only, no duplicate leaders)
  • Resources: Standard
  • Start Position: Standard
  • Limit Turns: By Game Speed
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Version: Patch 2
  • Date: 11th January 2017 to 11th February 2017

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

While each map can only be played once, players are more than welcome to generate new maps and submit multiple games (although only the fastest finish will be counted). Also, as everyone is playing their own distinct maps, there is no need for spoiler limitation within the thread. In fact, we encourage detailed posting of strategy and gameplay.

Banned Tactics:
  • Making multiple gpt trades with the same AI (ie endless gold bug)

Last edited:
There isn't a Tiny Islands map in Civ 6. Did you mean Island Plates?

That's a challenge, the AI spams a huge number of missionaries & apostles at the higher difficulty levels and you'll need to return the favour.
My only religious win so far was by "taking advantage" of the game where I played against Kongo who can't found a religion, it still wasn't that easy because he kept DoW'ing me and it was on diety level.

On lower difficulties you might want Saladin; I've seen him get a great prophet with no holy site for founding the religion. But I suspect that's too much of a gamble on emperor.

Peter is also not a good opponent, with his lavras (plus, he loves to take dance of the aurora with his tundra starts). I think Pedro has an advantage recruiting great people? Probably should avoid him as well. Tomyris get faith from her stone circles, and with the right start can spam them.

Anyone else to avoid as opponents?

Anything about Catherine or France's uniques to keep in mind?

I'm thinking Yerevan is almost essential to a fast victory, although you can get lucky with promotions. One proselytizer can potentially wipe out three competing religions if they're caught early enough.

Isn't Pedro's great person advantage that he gets some of the GPP back after recruiting? Since you can only recruit one great prophet his advantage doesn't help.

I'd avoid having Vikings and Japan on this map.

Set the sea level to low for more land or high to make it easier for missionary/apostles to travel?

Hey folks, here is my first entry.

T194 RV.
I left all settings on default and played the first map i got.

My island was interesting, lots of mountains and a massive mountain chain to the northeast. Not much room to settle and hills only. Lots of wood and rainforest so chopping helped. I had a desert but only hills so pyramids were not an option. No flat land for a reasonable good colloseum.
City states were kinda good, i found Yerewan very late though, so i i spent most of the time playing a half hearted domination game.
In the end i wiped out Rome, Brazil and Kongo and left Scythia, Germany, Arabia and Japan alive.

BO was very situative and at some points the game felt pretty awkward , i guess there is much room for optimaziation.
I went for scout-builder-settler-3xslinger-HS-2xgalley-settlers. For districts i obviously prioritzed HS, then campi and CD. Had some really nice adjacency spots due to all the mountains.

Science was REALLY slow, as Stockholm was the only science CS in the game and i found it around 2 turns before converting the last enemy.

Because i didn`t quite know what to do most of the time i tried Theocracy for the first time and was surprised how cheap those faith units are. I couldn`t buy the UU with faith, is this true for all UU`s? I made a crucial mistake by keeping all the captured cities instead of razing them, so i had to convert them nevertheless - lol:hammer2:

In the end i still had a lot of fun and cherished trying stuff i had never done before. I learned a lot and i think i will give it another try sometime soon.

The savegame is right before converting the last german city, somehow the menu said 4/5 enemies converted in the save after the video.

Attachments

• 20170112161352_1.jpg
    20170112161352_1.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 564
  • gauntlet#3 t194 RV.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Nice benchmark, @whacker !

I presume there's no reason to care at all about diplomacy or warmongering penalties?

I don't have time to give this a try for a few more days, so I look forward to gleaning more wisdom in the meantime.

Well, diplomacy is broken to a state were i don`t even care at all. I try to sell 1-2 luxuries before my first DOW, but other than that you can`t do much. In this game for example Brazil DOWed me and after i conquered one of his cities in response, ALL AI`s simultainously denounced me for being a warmonger.
Sadly diplomacy comes down to clicking away denounce/demand screens.

I attempted a game using high sea level, but ended up with not enough land on my starting island. I'm currently at turn 178, just switched governments to Theocracy and bought 4 apostles. I already have a couple of apostles with some uses left out converting. So far I've only managed to convert all of Kongo, 1 Greek city and 2 Aztec cities..

I'm thinking of starting a new game with low sea level, or at least really pushing the ship techs in another high sea level game. Then going around wiping everyone out except Kongo.

90% frigate conquest. I faithbought a bunch of knights and xbows later on to conquer inland cities but they didn`t do a whole lot.

Was considering Kongo as the leader but not sure if it is possible if you can't found a religion (does capturing a holy city enable you to win religious using that religion??).
No - Kongo can't win a RV.

I'm giving up on T142, it's frustrating that my missionaries keep getting blocked by other units and they can't get through.
On paper everything looks ok I've found Yerevan and converted a number of AI cities around my borders, I'll post it in case someone wants to see if they can win, it should be possible from here but I'm not very good at religious games and I don't really know what I'm doing.

Attachments

• CATHERINE DE MEDICI 142 620 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
Interested to hear strategies on this one. My big fight so far is getting a solid start AND religion. Seems I either get a religion but am then small and behind OR I get a solid start but miss religion! Going for attempt number six now...

Top Bottom