1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI - Beta Gauntlet V

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Ozbenno, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

*There is no Civ VI HOF Mod as of yet, so please play these games in the spirit of the >> Civ V HOF rules <<. Please review these before playing.

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Emporer
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Pangaea
    • Speed: Normal
    • Leader: Arabia
    • Opponents: Any, (default number of opponents only, no duplicate leaders)
    • City States: Default number only
    • Resources: Standard
    • Start Position: Standard
    • Limit Turns: By Game Speed
    • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
    • Version: Latest patch
    • Date: 14th April 2017 to 14th May 2017

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

While each map can only be played once, players are more than welcome to generate new maps and submit multiple games (although only the fastest finish will be counted). Also, as everyone is playing their own distinct maps, there is no need for spoiler limitation within the thread. In fact, we encourage detailed posting of strategy and gameplay.

Please attach to your post your starting save as well as the save on the turn of your victory.

Banned Tactics:
    • Making multiple gpt trades with the same AI (ie endless gold bug)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. Ozbenno

While we wait for the official hall to open, another gauntlet.

Back to culture. Have the tactics to achieve this victory changed much since the first gauntlet?

3. Sumorex

Sumorex Chieftain

With the addition of a slider to set the number of city states should there be any restrictions on tinkering with the setting?

4. Ozbenno

Yes, should be default number only. Will adjust opening post to reflect.

5. hongyu20

hongyu20 Chieftain

Making multiple gpt trades with the same AI (ie endless gold bug)

What does this mean exactly ?

6. Ozbenno

There is a bug (was a bug, has this been fixed?) that you can make a gpt trade with an AI and the next turn the AI will have the ability to make the same gpt trade and so on etc without end.

7. trendy

trendy Chieftain

I saw that abusing relics with Kandy and reliquaries belief was best for last culture VC gauntlet. That was prince though. I suspect Emperor culture output is too much for that to work. I could be wrong, but I don't really like playing gimmicky strats like that anyway.

Not sure if we count the turn we have the winning tourism, or the turn after victory screen. I'm assuming it's the latter, so T205 victory.

I went for an early push on nearby Frederick off 2 cities for all but one of his. Beelined crossbow/mamluk/upgrade cost reduction techs to do a midgame timing push. Took 3 French cities, and all but one of England's. Could have easily taken more, but didn't want to commit to making more units than my initial army. Culture VC has so much infrastructure you need to build...

Got unlucky with Frederick being removed by the AI, which set me back a bit. Egypt and Japan were still friendly enough to let me run Archaeologists through their lands, so getting all my museums filled wasn't hard at least. For religion went for +% production, and +gold per city ones. Didn't really spread it much all game, but it was a nice bonus that cost nothing to get I guess (conquered cities had holy sites). From midgame, turtled and did standard beeline for computers, and all those fun +tourism civics in the civic tree.

With a bit of better playing (and some luck) I'm sure I could get a below 200 turn win, but good enough. If I'd managed spices, with plains hills settle, with culture CS first find ofc that kind of stuff would help too.

Saladin CVC Screen.png

Attached Files:

8. Ozbenno

9. Sumorex

Sumorex Chieftain

Did you handpick your opponents or fiddle with map settings?

I'm looking forward to trying this one. I've not messed with culture victories much and was a bit dismayed reading the previous gauntlet with this victory condition. The pieces that had to fall into place promised restarting ad nauseam though you point out spices + plains hill settle + appropriate city state are an instant leg up.

10. trendy

trendy Chieftain

I did handpick my opponents. Biggest preference was that none of their unique units were annoying in the early game (like war-carts). Tried to avoid cultural civs as well. Truth be told, Japan was a poor choice to include in my game for this reason. As for map settings, all standard. High sea level, less hills, less forestation settings might be worth it if you want to really just hammer the AI with all-out conquest as fast as possible. But on the other hand standard everything gives more room to settle, and better tiles. It's not like civ 5 where settings were easier to game with no real disadvantage. Anything you'd change will have tradeoffs.

11. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Are UI mods allowed? After using the CQUI mod, I don't think I could go back to playing without it (or something similar).

12. Ozbenno

Can you link to the details of the mod so we can make an assessment. If it is visual only (no game changing) should be all right.

13. Sumorex

Sumorex Chieftain

14. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

15. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

To tag on to Willow's question - what about mods for numpad movement and other cosmetic stuff like the R.E.D. Modpack that don't affect gameplay? I'll probably disable them this time around if I play this one, but it would be nice to use these in the future (I also regularly use CQUI now).

16. Ozbenno

Have had a look and CQUI seems fine to use. If the R.E.D. Modpack doesn't affect gameplay it would also be fine to use.

Eliminator_Sr likes this.
  17. RaidandTrade

RaidandTrade Chieftain

Turn 294 Culture

I went for high sea level and there was a lot of tough terrain and a fair bit of war. Spain DOW'd me early but I got a settler and 2 cities to send him to history's dustbin. Victoria wanted to be friendly but she was too tempting a target so she joined Phillip and added 4 cities to my empire. Gilgamesh was next as I worked my way along the snaking continent adding cities. We had a few peaceful periods but ultimately he added 5 cities to my empire.

Didn't know that Victoria's cities' museums kept their six slots even if you build them after she's out of the game. No auto-theming but still nice to remember for next time.

Hand-picked opponents - essentially to avoid Russia and France but also to have Rome in the game as a future friend. As it transpired, he was my only friend and ally. Monty was included to spice things up and I'd hoped Gilgamesh would be a war buddy - he never works out like that in my experience.

Religion not much use but Oral tradition with lots of plantations is very strong as Pantheon. Ended up bagging a few wonders (Eiffel Tower completed the turn after victory).

Main enemy was production and the time it took to get archaeologists out. Also the terrain was an issue - some of them wondered around for a while before finding digs or wrecks. Filled 72 of 99 slots in the end. I thought I could do a national park on Galapagos Islands - doesn't work so that was 1800 faith wasted. Did have a national park including the Dead Sea though.

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 14.59.48.png Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 15.00.15.png

Attached Files:

18. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I started several games, but Saladin seems so suited for any victory condition besides culture, I'm having trouble pushing things in that direction.

Thanks for the response on CQUI, hopefully I'll be back for the next one.

19. teqofc

teqofc Chieftain

Turn 217 CV.

Back from a long break. First time with Arabia and sure won't be the last as this is quite a powerful civ. Mamluks are awesome for conquering cities to remove the competition. Settled 4 cities and conquered many others. Went in a clockwise manner by conquering Norway 1st(left him one city) then Macedon(early culture leader so worked out well) then Egypt then Sumeria. Didn't bother with Germany. After Norway and Macedon recovered to build more cities I completely eliminated those civs from the game.

I don't think I had time to build a single wonder and didn't work many squares(looking at Niter in the capitol oops). If I wasn't conquering I was cranking out theater square festivals and archaeologists. Only built a few seaside resorts since I didn't have a lot of good coastal tiles to work with.

Used random opponents. Civs can't do much against knights+ram+crossbows at this level, especially with knights that come with March promo built-in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    RaidandTrade likes this.
  20. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Cultural Victory in Turn 253.

Arabia is my favorite civ so I had to play this one. A Religious victory would have been way easier because I had Yerevan right next to me and I had such a huge surplus of faith even after buying some expensive great people. It takes a little while to get going with Arabia but they really hit their stride once you get some holy sites down. I got a little lucky in this one because Reliquaries was somehow still available when I claimed the last religion. I had apostles just sitting around in everyone's land for a good chunk of the middle game and there was a long stretch where no one was building religious units. I did manage to get 12 relics by the end of the game and 4 themed museums. Brazil ramped up in culture more than I thought they would so that added some extra turn time since I had to get over 200 tourists. I didn't do too much conquering in this one - I settled into builder mode. I did take out Germany early, captured a few from China, and one from Norway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2017