Civ VI - Beta Gauntlet VII

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

*There is no Civ VI HOF Mod as of yet, so please play these games in the spirit of the >> Civ V HOF rules <<. Please review these before playing.

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Religious (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emporer
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Normal
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Speed: Normal
  • Leader: Any
  • Opponents: Must include Saladin, Gandhi, Peter, Phillip II, Tomyris, Harald (default number of opponents only, no duplicate leaders)
  • City States: Default number only
  • Resources: Standard
  • Start Position: Standard
  • Limit Turns: By Game Speed
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Version: Latest patch
  • Date: 26th June 2017 to 26th July 2017

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

While each map can only be played once, players are more than welcome to generate new maps and submit multiple games (although only the fastest finish will be counted). Also, as everyone is playing their own distinct maps, there is no need for spoiler limitation within the thread. In fact, we encourage detailed posting of strategy and gameplay.

Please attach to your post your starting save as well as the save on the turn of your victory.

DLC leaders are okay, right? I'm probably going with Cyrus just because it takes so long to get across the map on Inland Sea.

Any thoughts on best strategy to get a prophet with all these opponents? Also, ideas on the best civ to play for those without DLC? I haven't played enough religion games to have a sense of how to approach these conditions.

Without DLC i lean towards Japan. 50% discount for HS is the only trait thats left to get a fast religion, while the cheaper encampent helps getting the 1. and/or 2. GG. Another option would be China with Stonehenge, but that might slow down the early game too much to actually be really fast.
Of course you can always pick Sumeria and warcart to victory. :D

I'm trying Jadwiga. Her and Pericles get the early wildcard slot for great prophet points, and she has better religion bonuses.

Map Size: Normal
I've got a new laptop that I'm going to try this on - can I just query the Map Size. The default is Small with 5 opponents, there is also a Standard option with 7 opponents but there's nothing called Normal and nothing with 6 opponents as standard so I'm not sure what you intended?

Religious Victory Turn 158 Score 453
Civ: Persia

took me 3 restarts to get a stone opener for Stonehenge.

Went with Japan as other civ

Military:
opened military district. Used horsemen then knights then Calvary. with a mix of battering ram and siege tower, (preference being siege tower but whichever one i could get to the front-line first.) had 1 classical, 1 renaissance and 2 industrial generals.
Scythia held me up as they had a solid knight army to match mine and really slowed me down.

Religion:
Took Zen Meditation and holy order. launched an inquisition to clear out my local conquered cities that Russia had already fully converted. faith bought about half a dozen horsemen and 2 Cavalry.
Converted Spain rather than conquered, and converted last city or 2 of Russia and Scythia.

Misc:

had no nearby CS at all, had all but 1 civ (japan) crammed on the right side of map.
Finished the game with cavalry corps's doing 91 damage :).
Persia's plus 2 movement is great for generals and siege units who otherwise get left behind and the no occupation penalties makes a real difference too.

Attachments

• CYRUS 158 940 AD HOF G7.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 170
  • CYRUS 1 4000 BC hof.Civ6Save
    360.3 KB · Views: 223
  • CYRUS 58 1720 BC.Civ6Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
  • CYRUS 119 75 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 298
Turn 146 Score 466

Similarly to Rakish, I went with a Persia cavalry strategy. I was also lucky to encounter most opponents going around 1/3 around the sea, with only Scythia being on the opposite corner. I chose Gorgo as the 7th opponent to have a reliable ally who probably wouldn't get a religion.

I built a holy site first, but also rushed nearby Arabia with warriors and archers, took their holy sites just in time to get the last Great Prophet (Arabia had got the first). With the horses, took out Norway and most of Russia, leaving only Spain as a religious competitor. Skipped Sparta and India to get to Spain, figuring I could convert them by the time I conquer the other civs. Scythia had conquered two city states far off its main city cluster, requiring more time than I thought (and declaring a surprise war with India just to get the boost).

Given the favorable map it is definitely not an optimal run, I neglected generals until the medieval era, and didn't pick particularly good beliefs (Jesuit Education and Wat, but I didn't have any spare faith to use the former).

Attachments

• CYRUS 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save
    366.6 KB · Views: 167
  • CYRUS 146 700 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 213
Any thoughts on best strategy to get a prophet with all these opponents? Also, ideas on the best civ to play for those without DLC? I haven't played enough religion games to have a sense of how to approach these conditions.

The tricky part of this challenge is that you need to invest just enough into religion to get one, and still focus mostly on military. I tried Japan earlier but it felt a bit slow. I like Edgehopper's idea of picking Gorgo to get the wild card slot from the start. Sparta can push military and culture together, rushing mysticism and getting a headstart on GP points before the holy site completes.

I tried with Sumeria (took Initation rites as my pantheon), added Kongo as the extra Civ with the idea of leaving them alive and killing the rest. They were my closest neighbours however and attacked me on t25 lol. Don't think I will play this out - Inland Sea is huge and the times between turns are horrendous. Might try this setup on a smaller map as it intrigues me.

Looks like I'm gonna have to sit this one out after all; too much going on with my new job etc. Good to see my Persia plan seems to be validated by the submissions so far though.

Gauntlet closed.

Gauntlet Results:
Beta VII - Religious, Emporer, Standard, Inland Sea, Normal, Any leader

1st antimony - T-146
2nd Rakish - T-158

Well done to both of you.

Crazy question, but this is the most current Gauntlet I can find....are we still doing them?

I was wondering the same thing.

Top Bottom