1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI Directory??

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by qadams, Nov 5, 2016.

1. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Odd question: I can't find a directory on my MacBook that holds Civilization VI. There's an Aspyr folder that has both Civ IV and Civ V applications, but where is Civ VI? I'm able to play the game without any problems. Am I playing it straight off Steam, or what's the deal?

Puzzled... :hmm:

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Everything is in ~/Library/Application Support/

You get into the hidden ~/Library folder by holding the alt key and selecting the Finder-Go menu option.

In that folder there are two relevant folders:

Sid Meier's Civilization VI/ contains all your stuff - Saves, Mods, Options and Logs.

Steam/SteamApps/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/ contains the executable Civ VI software.

3. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Thanks! I would never have known where to find that without your help.

4. MITSGS John

MITSGS John Chieftain

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 on a 2017 IMac. There are no CIV VI folders in Application Support or anywhere else in ~/Library.

5. AlanH

Welcome :wavey: Are you playing the Steam version or the App Store version?

6. MITSGS John

MITSGS John Chieftain

Thanks. I'm playing the App Store v.1.1.1

7. AlanH

The above posts all refer to the Steam version. The AppStore version is different. Check out this post and the associated thread.

8. MITSGS John

MITSGS John Chieftain

Thanks. Aired out my Save folder.

9. AlanH

Does that mean you’ve cracked it?

10. deneborder

deneborder Chieftain

I have found my saved games folder using the tips above but still can't save games! I click and nothing happens, no file is created. Using a new MacBook Pro, High Sierra 10.13.6. Playing the game using Steam.

Is it something to do with permissions? I've had to use TouchID / passwords to do a lot of new things on the laptop so maybe Steam is being prevented from accessing the folder to save? Any ideas?!

11. jpinoniemi

jpinoniemi Chieftain

Check your Apple System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Privacy, Accessibility, and make sure Steam is in the list of apps under "Allow the apps below to control your computer."

Also make sure your save folder permissions are Read & Write for your account, Read Only for the staff group, and Read Only for everyone.