Civ VI Funny/Strange Screenshots

Also from the Civ Wiki.

Harvested from the teeth and tusks of various animal species – elephant, whale, hippo, walrus, and the like

So since it is technically ivory even though it is represented by elephants it could still be in the tundra since you can get ivory from walrus tusks. Although since you can get ivory from whales that technically means it could be in the ocean as well. Hmm...:think:

Not sure if this has been posted before, maybe this is intended? Seems strange to have ivory on tundra. Are there any real cases of this? Maybe they are accounting for wooly mammoth? I don't know much about elephants, but I can't think of any that live in tundra.
Siberian mammoth ivory was a major source of ivory in the 18th century, and mammoth ivory is still a source of ivory. If it's near the coast, walrus ivory is another possibility.

One has not truly lived until one sees the majestic arboreal walrus gracefully scurrying amongst groves of pines.
Only Glorantha's walktopus can compare to it. :lol:

Yeah the Wooly Mammoth is a good enough explanation, but I doubt they thought of that. For the record, I am running Civ6 with no mods, not even Ynamp.

My in game civilpedia doesn't show anything for ivory. I can't remember seeing it in tundra before, but I often don't pay much attention to tundra. Seemed kind of funny. I would think elephants would get too cold since they would have bare skin exposed to the elements and a lot of surface area. Where Wooly Mammoths would have been fine of course as they lived up in Siberia and Alaska and many other places.

Seemed kind of funny. I would think elephants would get too cold since they would have bare skin exposed to the elements and a lot of surface area.
Actually, overheating is a problem for elephants in their natural habitats; they have to manage their body temperature carefully, hence mud baths, etc. The bigger issue for them would be too little food.

I think it happens in the unmodded game, as Ivory can spawn in Woods, including Woods on Tundra.

Doesn't fuss me. Mammoths would have been a great source of Ivory and their demise happened during the Age of Man. Not a big stretch to roll a world where members of the elephant family remain alive in northern climes.

Actually, they don't have to be alive to provide Ivory. A large percentage of the ivory marketed in the late 19th century (Civ VI = Industrial Era) came from frozen Mammoth carcasses hacked out of the ice in Siberia. Another possibility, if the tile, like the one in the screenshot, is on the coast, is that it is actually Walrus Tusk ivory, not elephant - another ivory source from a century of more ago that is often forgotten: the bulk of the ivory 'scrimshaw' carving by sailors was walrus, not elephant.

Well, in the time it took me to write this, all of it was already posted by others! Disregard everything but the scrimshaw fragment...

Don't forget about narwhals!

Their horn was the inspiration of the unicorn.
But while narwhal "horns" are teeth...they're not made of ivory. They were a major luxury good, though, and the Scandinavians made a killing off them. Literally. I suppose they're already covered by whales in boreal waters, but they'd make an interesting (albeit controversial) luxury resource...

(Also, their horns weren't the inspiration for unicorns, but they were sold to alchemists as unicorn horns.)

But while narwhal "horns" are teeth...they're not made of ivory. They were a major luxury good, though, and the Scandinavians made a killing off them. Literally. I suppose they're already covered by whales in boreal waters, but they'd make an interesting (albeit controversial) luxury resource...

(Also, their horns weren't the inspiration for unicorns, but they were sold to alchemists as unicorn horns.)

- As rhinoceros' horn is sold as an aphrodisiac today. Perhaps a category of Amenity Resources based entirely upon superstition could be implemented, including Narwhal 'Horn', Rhinoceros Horn, and other 'magical' substances...

(To provide Cosmic Balance, I'm trying to start a meme that the broiled gonads of a rhinoceros or elephant Poacher have aphrodesiac powers... :thumbsup: )

Because who doesn't like farms? :lol:

Farms.jpg

Can you believe Wilhelmina had the chicanery to whine to me about Kalhu? LOOK AT MAASTRICHT! :p

20181008233912_1.jpg

But things got weirder. Peter conquered Amsterdam and Utricht but lost them to loyalty pressure...only for Wilhelmina to lose Maastricht and Rotterdam to loyalty pressure. So now I have a perfectly stable empire of free cities on my northern border. :eek: :sad: I'm not good at conquest, but if I can get my nerve up I can at least take Maastricht and get my revenge. If I take the rest...Wilhelmina can have them back. Well...Utricht is pretty nice, too. But she can have Amsterdam and Rotterdam back if I take them. :p

20181009132054_1.jpg

Update: I've now taken Maastricht (which is now Dur-Shurrukum), and once my troops heal I'll move on to Utrecht (the future Tarshhan). Then I'll take Amsterdam, give it back to Wilhelmina, and Rotterdam is her problem. :p

Can you believe Wilhelmina had the chicanery to whine to me about Kalhu? LOOK AT MAASTRICHT! :p

View attachment 505640

But things got weirder. Peter conquered Amsterdam and Utricht but lost them to loyalty pressure...only for Wilhelmina to lose Maastricht and Rotterdam to loyalty pressure. So now I have a perfectly stable empire of free cities on my northern border. :eek: :sad: I'm not good at conquest, but if I can get my nerve up I can at least take Maastricht and get my revenge. If I take the rest...Wilhelmina can have them back. Well...Utricht is pretty nice, too. But she can have Amsterdam and Rotterdam back if I take them. :p

View attachment 505641

This is one of those situations where you'd like the game to spontaneously assign that stable Free City conglomerate a leader and a player slot.

Update: I've now taken Maastricht (which is now Dur-Shurrukum), and once my troops heal I'll move on to Utrecht (the future Tarshhan). Then I'll take Amsterdam, give it back to Wilhelmina, and Rotterdam is her problem. :p

Then Rotterdam will probably flip to you.

Then Rotterdam will probably flip to you.
Yes. I liberated Amsterdam. Rotterdam flipped to me, but I rejected it. It was on its way to flipping to Wilhelmina when Peter reminded us all that he's still a massive jerk, declared war on the Netherlands, conquered Amsterdam, and then waited for Rotterdam to flip to him. :rolleyes: I'm not annoyed about losing Amsterdam and Rotterdam; I didn't want them. I am annoyed by my ally's warmongering (and I'm remaining allies even though the entire world hates Peter, including me, because he's right next door and he's a military super power and I don't want that army coming after me next!)...

Top Bottom