1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI ...Huge disappointment

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Manol0, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I think you need to realize that standards are simply dropping rapidly in our society.
    Not long ago i wanted to communicate with some peoples while having lunch.
    They all grabbed their smartphones instead.

Game developers would *not* have gotten away with such crappy releases back then.
    Why were there big manuals?
    Cause there were no 1 gazillion patches to make the darn game playable, they actually cared about realeasing a quality product.

Peoples actually had a vision, including devs, to make something special.
    Just like we once cared more about each other, and not about a silly (and stupidly small) telephone screen.

2. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Righto :rolleyes:

Siptah and MantaRevan like this.
  3. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
    Allinuse likes this.
  4. nzcamel

Cos I've been around for a while. I remember the "good ol' days" lol.
    Half of what you're talking about there has nothing to do with games per say, let alone this game; and is about individuals.

I did think that V was a step backwards from IV, so I'm good with criticising this product we all love. I did it plenty. But VI has made massive improvements to the areas where I thought V had dropped the ball. 1UPT is the last significant area -in my opinion- where VI has kept a feature from V which does open the door to issues (that being that... it is much harder to get the AI to make the best tactical decisions given the circumstances); but one which does only tend to affect the best players; while leaving the rest of us with a more interesting way to wage war. Which is still less than ideal - I mean top players should get a good SP contest too.
    But as to most other criticisms... they tend to (personal taste aside - i.e. preference for gritty style graphics or "cartoony" graphics) often be pretty hollow when put under scrutiny.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Civ seems to have lost some of that "S" concept in TBS, and degraded the UI to early 1990s. Aside from that it's solid enough if you don't mind the turn times.

Edit: even if the "manual" is electronic, there is absolutely no excuse for hiding gameplay rules.

WW is a gameplay rule. Firaxis is about as clear on their rules as EA is in Madden with what player attributes actually do in the game.

And that's pretty bad, because it means both of the games omit crucial rules *and* occasionally lie about what will happen. That's reasonable to file under "disappointing", even before we talk about subjective experiences in the game.

ZubieMaster and 4N4C0ND4 like this.
  6. nzcamel

Which is entirely dependent on your machine. VI runs much faster on my 4 year old PC than V ever has.

Agreed. Between the civilopedia and online resources, a full up to date manual of rules etc should be available. But that is lacking, leaving many of us on the forums puzzling things out. Which is kinda fun...but we shouldn't have to.

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

6 is better than 5, but 5 was abject terrible. 6 is still borderline unplayable on huge maps, even at or above "recommended" specs. The amount of time it takes to get between even early turns is so much longer than decision time requirements that you're going to *literally* spend well over half the time waiting to play the game instead of playing it unless you're very slow.

Not all of the earlier civ titles shared this lag IBT. We're still talking about a game that animates stuff offscreen, in an environment where there's no "off" setting, only "quick". Presumably the AI enjoys the offscreen animations?

This has crept into way too many games lately :(. Forcing the player to work with incomplete information (IE map isn't scouted yet) is different from hiding the gameplay rules (WW, exact culture calcs, etc). Firaxis, Paradox, heck most game's I've played recently that aren't purely action have a habit of slopping in fake difficulty by forcing players to experiment just to learn the rules of the game. I have some level of disrespect for developers who do that while implementing "ironman" modes; doing that is disingenuous at best. If they're making the player responsible for his mistakes, his failings should actually be from his own poor decisions or execution!

DutchJob and ZubieMaster like this.
  8. orasis

orasis Prince Supporter

CIV has never been a 'grand strategy' game... it's a 4X game.

9. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

This thread inspired me to write up a list of steps the game can take to improve over in the ideas and suggestions forum. No use complaining about the game being less than we want when the productive alternative is to present Firaxis with a list of changes that community members are looking for. That helps them get the ball rolling. The user reviews on steam right now are not good, and that is certainly costing them sales. Implementing some of these changes will help their bottom line, for the most cynical among us.

soundwaveuk, c4c6 and nzcamel like this.
  10. orasis

orasis Prince Supporter

Just to be clear, I never cared for anyone. I thank the gods that I can now 'interact' with people behind glass. Less small talk means I can eat in peace, play video games in peace and watch the NFL & NBA in peace. Amen.

gizziegod, DutchJob and ZubieMaster like this.
  11. nzcamel

I can understand it's frustrating if this is your experience. And I guess even though my PC is four years old, it was top of the line for games at the time. I don't think it's compatible with DX12, yet it still handles VI like a dream. Or does now. Early on the lag was problematic. After each patch the game has sped up and sped up in my experience; and I play on huge maps plus.

I don't mind if we're not told every calculation. Some things, to me, are supposed to not be given to us on a platter (not that I'm saying that was what you were asking for). i.e. I don't understand those who want to be shown where a barbarian camp has popped up each time the noise goes off. I'm a bit like, why should we even get the noise!?
    But there are far too many mechanisms or stats that are barely explained/missing from the civilopedia.

MantaRevan likes this.
  12. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

This Luddite crap is totally tangential to the topic at hand. Are pre-ordering and hype trains bad for game quality at release? Yeah, I think so. But this has nothing to do with smartphones and kidsthesedays. Saying "aww well everyone sucks now RIP the good old days" is totally pointless and puts the locus of improvement away from human beings. It's as pessimistic as it is irrelevant.

13. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

You should tryout CQUI mod, it improves many aspects of the UI.

14. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

Reasonable options:
    • You receive no indication whatsoever of a barbarian camp appearing
    • You receive a clear indication of where the barbarian camps are
    Unreasonable options:
    • You get to know where the camps are, but have to play Where's Waldo? to do so
    • Only people who are paying careful attention to audio cues (and have figured out their meaning) get notified of camps spawning
    Don't let your preference between the two reasonable options spoil your ability to distinguish between the reasonable and unreasonable ones.

15. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Bushwah! The current notification is quite reasonable, and I personally use it whenever there is potential encampment territory near my lands. But I don't mind taking the time to look for it, as many others obviously do.

addendum: just to be clear, I much prefer to focus my encampment searches to the turns of alert rather than every turn.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    nzcamel likes this.
  16. nzcamel

I'm not sure why you think some of these options are reasonable and others aren't.

17. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The question you have to to ask yourself is what is the reason people go onto a Miami Vice fan site and say its a terrible show.
    Then you realize just answering the thread is a fail... I only answered this damn thread in the first place to correct their use of our fine language

MaximusPlatypus and c4c6 like this.
  18. sadsquid

sadsquid Warlord

Can I just ask what 'WW' means?

19. Balkans

Balkans Warlord

I think you misunderstood or i did poor job of expressing myself, there's no problem about people who played civ 1, you butchered what you quoted, i was talking about impossibility of discussing strategy element of civilization game between people who played old titles with someone who played for example only civ vi. Nobody in the right mind, and i apologize if anyone is offended by this claim, can say that the level of strategic element in civ vi is anywhere even close to civ iv, or even earlier titles. It's not a strategy game anymore, it's kinda strategy game, but you are almost unable or even worse, you are not attracted to pull of some weird crazy strategy, you just click and admire the scenery. I would give one of my limbs if it would help for this game to be any better, or if it would improve AI, but i can't lie about what i see and what i feel playing this game. This is unfinished, over hyped, 3/5, 20$ game, DLCs included.

p.s. Is it possible that Firaxis has some really bad developers. I am no designer, but i wonder what were they thinking when they design UI where you have to click 3 times instead of 1, or where you need to open and close 10 objects, instead of one grid of information?

DutchJob and Zuizgond like this.
  20. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Does the AI use aircraft like it should? I don't mean just stealth bombers. I mean biplanes on up. If it does I'll try this game again. Until then it was just a damn waste of money.

DutchJob likes this.