1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI ...Huge disappointment

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Manol0, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Grenadier a troop type as opposed to elite troops? You just did not have a battalion of grenade throwing troops.
    The rifleman is the ranger, yes maybe some breech loading gun troop type could be put it but we also have some UU around that era that gives the less than AGrade civ a bonus that would be sourly depreciated.

2. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I very much agree with this. I'm in the Information era by in my current game, but because I've been focused on the top of half of the tech tree, I still got Cavalry (!) running around, and the same was true when I was fighting a few wars when I was in the Industrial-Modern era: Again, I had been focusing on the top half of the tech tree, so I had Horsemen running around while I was fighting with planes.

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I am the opposite, it is bad enough the AI rushed chemistry for anti tank guns. I do not want more units coming around when my UU has some value... also you do need to pay the price of rushing computers or whatever you are doing at the top of the tree. I quite like this approach and I also suffer the same issue when I rush flight/radio/computers,

4. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

Oh yeah the AT crew. I got that way before tanks were ever on the scene and yep Pikeman and Knight units that still cant be upgraded hanging around!

Its messed up and badly needs expanding and fixing to make it more realistic. I'm playing Huge/Marathon by the way.

5. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

The AT Crew problem also has to do with the lack of interconnections in the tech tree. Did you know that there is no line through the tech tree from bottom to top or from top to bottom? You can research Nanotechnology without having researched Sailing and you can research Robotics without having researched Mining.

It gets really weird when you realize you can unlock the Knight unit without even having revealed Iron, or, on a level more related to what I know myself - you can research Nanotechnology without having researched Chemistry. Well, if you wanna do stuff with nanotechnology in real life, you better get a Master or PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering first.

Pikeman upgrades into AT Crew though?

6. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

Oh yeah it does! But that seems silly to me too. Pikeman unit from what? the early medieval ages can only upgrade to a mid 20th century anti tank crew?! Makes no sense to me.

7. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Agreed. Most land unit upgrade trees need at least one more unit, typically in the Medieval or Renaissance era.

Warrior - Swordsman - Musketman - Rifleman - Infantry - Mechanized Infantry.
    Spearman - Pikeman - Bayonet - Anti-Tank Crew - Modern Anti-Tank.
    Slinger - Archer - Crossbowman - Field Cannon - Machine Gun.
    Horseman - Rider - Cavalry - Helicopter.
    Heavy Chariot - Knight - Cuirassier - Tank - Modern Armor.
    Catapult - Trebuchet - Bombard - Artillery - Rocket Artillery.
    Scout - Explorer - Ranger - Mariner - Special Forces.

Also, there should be seperate units that basically "add" to the trees later on:

Dragoon - medieval 3 movement unit without penalty against anti-cavalry, upgrades into Cavalry.
    Landship - industrial 3 movement unit, stronger than Cuirassier, that upgrades into Tank.
    And so on.

Jimdigriz, Pythakoreas and c4c6 like this.
  8. tat501

tat501 Warlord

I don't know. I can't seem to mesh with Civ VI either. Loved 5. Still love it. Been playing lots of Civ VI since release and really want to like it. I can see some of the stuff it does is better - the dual tech trees is good for example.

I think what I don't really like is the immersion breaking district system and the overall lack of space that seems to be on the maps. It feels very 'crowded' and the maps are not particularly realistic. I agree with the OP regarding the numbers of strategic resources being irrelevant. I just find the game more micro management heavy but less deep strategy heavy. Decisions don't seem to be as important for some reason. Also the AI is still terrible.

9. InDubioProReo

InDubioProReo Warlord

Long time lurker/poster here. Civ 2 was my first game but I did not play the others up to Civ 5. I loved CiV, especially due to its art style (love Art Deco!) and also the gameplay, music and soundtrack. I have 1712 hours logged on Steam. I was excited for VI and preordered. I installed it the day it was released, and shelved the game after 4 hours. Some problems of mine:

- The graphics/art style. The game looks too cartoonish after the sleek Art-Deco style of V.
    - The game feels reaaaaaaaaly slow to play compared to V.
    - I did not like the civ variety.

I hope it gets better but when I want to play civ again I think I'll first go to V.

10. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

I'd definitely like to see G&K style overhaul of unit upgrades and tech tree.
    Besides, it's very interesting that you see Scouts as some kind of primitive version of Special Forces.

11. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

What did G&K change? I only started playing Civ V a while after BNW's release, so I only know the final state.

The Scouts evolving into special forces is something that's been connected in my mind because it was that way in a Civ V mod I played quite a bit.

12. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

It does feel rather crowded on screen yes. Just too busy. There must be a way of making it clearer. Plus getting rid of the brown murk would help too. Or at least give us the option to switch it on and off.